Grindael: RIP, A MormonDiscussions.com Treasure

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Grindael: RIP, A MormonDiscussions.com Treasure

Post by Kishkumen »

Our dear friend grindael has passed on to the great Church History Library in the sky. He departed from this world last week, after battling an aggressive lymphoma. Grindael was a talented and energetic researcher, and he generously shared that with us here. Many of his posts provided priceless information. I know that he was in the process of revising some articles he hoped to publish. Grindael was a beloved and valued member of the community of Mormon scholars, and he was a real treasure on the Cassius faculty.

He was also a talented artist, something he also shared with us on occasion.

We will miss you, grindael. Requiescat in pace.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Re: Grindael: RIP, A MormonDiscussions.com Treasure

Post by Shulem »

:sad:

I was thinking about him the other day. I had the feeling something was up.

Well, he's moved on. We're next in line.

:neutral:

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Oh no. Our dear friend.

Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

This is really sad news.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Oh my gosh.....this saddens me enormously. I am so sorry to hear this. Thank you for letting us know. I was astounded at his research!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I was wondering why he hadn't been posting for a while. He had mentioned that he had been struggling with illness in one of the last posts he had made here. His extensive, informative, and scholarly posts about various facets of Mormon history will be missed.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

msnobody
Holy Ghost

Post by msnobody »

Indeed sad news. I know Grindael will certainly be missed.
"The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desire of those who fear him; he also hears their cry and saves them.” Psalm 145:18-19 ESV

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I think my heart just broke.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

RIP, Grindael.

- Doc

Temp. Admin.
Deacon

Post by Temp. Admin. »

DAMN IT!! Few of us could match the value of the input he so regularly provided.

Both he, and his posts, will be greatly missed.

Rest in Peace, Grindael. I'll miss you.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Folks if you'd like to see examples of the poetic writings that Grin posted here over time, you need only look in Paradise Forum for his threads.

We have lost someone uniquely talented.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Grindael was talented both as a scholar and an artist. I'm sad to hear about his passing--godspeed to him, and may he rest in peace.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

Really sad to hear this. seemed like a tortured guy to me and I was never sure what to really say to him. Well, if you needed details on some aspect of church history nobody else knew about, he'd be the go-to guy for that. If there is an afterlife, and if there's anything Joseph Smith thinks he might have gotten away with, his number is punched.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.

Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I always looked forward to his posts. I’ll miss him, too.

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

I'm sad and I will miss him. He always had the answers or knew where to find them. Good artist too.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Most High
Nursery

Post by Most High »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:04 pm
Our dear friend grindael has passed on to the great Church History Library in the sky. He departed from this world last week, after battling an aggressive lymphoma. Grindael was a talented and energetic researcher, and he generously shared that with us here. Many of his posts provided priceless information. I know that he was in the process of revising some articles he hoped to publish. Grindael was a beloved and valued member of the community of Mormon scholars, and he was a real treasure on the Cassius faculty.

He was also a talented artist, something he also shared with us on occasion.

We will miss you, grindael. Requiescat in pace.
I am very sorry to hear of his passing and mourn the loss of a kind man that made important contributions to the historical discussion of the LDS truthclaims, particularily related to early Mormon history and polygamy. His contributions to Jeremy Runnels debunking of FAIRs debunkings and his critisisms of the apologetics of Brian Hales are priceless.

I will drink to his memory and cheer his funeral pyre that will depart him to Valhall.

I have a question
God

Post by I have a question »

This is very sad news for his family, friends and Mormon Discussions. My condolences to all who knew him. I too will make a point of raising a glass to 'grindael' today.

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 pm
I think my heart just broke.
It is very sad, Jersey. I am sorry for your loss. For my loss. For our loss.

I am very concerned for his family.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Temp. Admin. wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:12 pm
DAMN IT!! Few of us could match the value of the input he so regularly provided.

Both he, and his posts, will be greatly missed.

Rest in Peace, Grindael. I'll miss you.
His primary source dumps here were priceless. He was the anti-Brian Hales. Everything Hales sought to hide or paint in pretty pastels, grindael threw a harsh, bright light on. Smith’s polygamy looked very bad in grindael’s bright light of factual day.

Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Post by Holy Ghost »

I am saddened to hear about this. Although some of his posts with serial quotes and citations were TL;DR for my level of interest in a given topic, those about topics that I have sufficient interest in to read through always enlightened me with facts I did not know before that. It would be not only a fitting tribute to grindael, but also a handy resource if in the hall of fame, pinned threads one is created to collect all of grindael's well-cited posts.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

RockSlider
God

Post by RockSlider »

I too am very sorry to hear this.