Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated G through PG-13.
Post Reply
User avatar
Chap
God
Posts: 13964
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:23 am

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Chap »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:00 am
Chap, it appears to be a solid retrospective study. It is limited to hospitalized patients,
Yup, that's how the authors characterised it.

..
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:00 am
.and so doesn’t tell us much about whether, like Tamiflu, it would prove benefit if administered right after infection or prophylactically. ...
See here:

Global clinical trial of 40,000+ healthcare workers begins to test in UK if chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine can prevent COVID-19

The Centre for Tropical Medicine and Global Health is a world leading Centre within the Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Oxford, comprised of research groups who are permanently based in Africa and Asia as well as across two sites in Oxford.
A global study to test if either chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine can prevent COVID-19 in vital frontline healthcare workers will open to UK participants at hospital sites in Brighton and Oxford today.

Laboratory evidence shows that these well-established drugs might be effective in preventing or treating COVID-19 but there is no conclusive proof. Despite the lack of strong evidence these drugs are being widely recommended, and they are being widely used in some countries– so finding out if they can protect against COVID-19 - yes or no - is of tremendous importance.

Led by the University of Oxford and Wellcome supported Mahidol Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit (MORU) in Bangkok, Thailand, the COPCOV study is a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial that will enrol 40,000+ frontline healthcare workers and staff from Europe, Africa, Asia and South America who have close contact with patients with COVID-19 to determine definitively if chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are effective in preventing COVID-19.

“COVID-19 is a major risk for frontline healthcare workers around the world,” said COPCOV Co-Principal Investigator Professor Sir Nicholas White, of the University of Oxford who is based at MORU.

“We really do not know if chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine are beneficial or harmful against COVID-19. The best way to find out if they are effective in preventing COVID-19 is in a randomised clinical trial. That’s what COPCOV is – and why we’re doing this study,” said Prof White.
Note this bit:
Despite the lack of strong evidence these drugs are being widely recommended, and they are being widely used in some countries– so finding out if they can protect against COVID-19 - yes or no - is of tremendous importance.
It seems quite possible that the fact that a very effective propaganda effort has led to the widespread clinical use of a drug with no clear application to COVID-19 infection means that the question finally has got to be settled one way or another, to avoid further waste of time and resources if (as seems likely enough) this drug is without significant clinical value against this virus.

And let us not forget that the Lancet study suggested that it may be well be significantly harmful to patients suffering from a fully developed infection.

Themis
God
Posts: 13174
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Themis »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:34 pm
EAllusion wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:15 pm
Assuming you didn't get your degree from a cracker-jack box, when you went to school, did they explain to you the difference between a clinical trial of a drug and prescribing drugs for off-label uses as an unproven treatment?
It's a shame I can't put you on ignore as well. You're becoming all bite and no substance.
Why would you need to put him on ignore when you just ignore his relevant points like he does here. All kinds of drugs that prove useful for some treatments or are failures for a treatment that they were created tend to be looked at whether they can be useful for some other treatments. This is why this drug is being researched against Covid 19.So far it is unproven and some research is suggesting it is not effective and harmful. This is why it is very irresponsible for any president prime minister or politician to promote unproven drugs. I would criticize Biden or any leader who promoted an unproven drug, and this is a problem that comes up once in a while. Trump unfortunately does these kind of things regularly. The difference between us is I can criticize people on both sides.

User avatar
ajax18
God
Posts: 6385
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:56 pm

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by ajax18 »

The difference between us is I can criticize people on both sides.
So you hate everyone equally?

User avatar
Res Ipsa
God
Posts: 9867
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Res Ipsa »

Yeah, Chap, that also looks like a good study aimed at prophylaxis.

And good point about the negative effects. My friend originally thought we knew it was safe because it had been used safely for decades for other conditions. I kept trying to convince her that that doesn’t mean it is safe for treating COVID patients. And, while some of the increased risk is caused by use of the antibiotic, most of it is attributable to the chloroquine itself.

User avatar
Res Ipsa
God
Posts: 9867
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:31 pm
The difference between us is I can criticize people on both sides.
So you hate everyone equally?
Are you equating criticism with hate?

User avatar
Doctor CamNC4Me
God
Posts: 20814
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

SUBGENIUS. CONTRARY STUDY YOU DUMB FOGGIT. NOW.

- Doc

User avatar
Jersey Girl
God
Posts: 33167
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:39 pm
Yeah, Chap, that also looks like a good study aimed at prophylaxis.

And good point about the negative effects. My friend originally thought we knew it was safe because it had been used safely for decades for other conditions. I kept trying to convince her that that doesn’t mean it is safe for treating COVID patients. And, while some of the increased risk is caused by use of the antibiotic, most of it is attributable to the chloroquine itself.
Trump is on antibiotics to treat rosacea.

User avatar
Res Ipsa
God
Posts: 9867
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:13 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:39 pm
Yeah, Chap, that also looks like a good study aimed at prophylaxis.

And good point about the negative effects. My friend originally thought we knew it was safe because it had been used safely for decades for other conditions. I kept trying to convince her that that doesn’t mean it is safe for treating COVID patients. And, while some of the increased risk is caused by use of the antibiotic, most of it is attributable to the chloroquine itself.
Trump is on antibiotics to treat rosacea.
The study tested monoclides, such as azithromycin, because that was the suggested treatment. There is a known interaction between the two that can effect the heart. I saw that doxycycline is used to treat rosacea, and didn’t find a drug interaction warning. But I’m sure his doc’s on top of this.

User avatar
ajax18
God
Posts: 6385
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:56 pm

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by ajax18 »

And good point about the negative effects. My friend originally thought we knew it was safe because it had been used safely for decades for other conditions. I kept trying to convince her that that doesn’t mean it is safe for treating COVID patients. And, while some of the increased risk is caused by use of the antibiotic, most of it is attributable to the chloroquine itself.
That's why you consult your doctor and write out all the medications you are taking for him. What I disagree with is the lawyers saying, hey these drugs had a negative interaction for this person on multiple meds therefore nobody should be allowed to take it.

User avatar
Chap
God
Posts: 13964
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:23 am

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Chap »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:54 pm
What I disagree with is the lawyers saying, hey these drugs had a negative interaction for this person on multiple meds therefore nobody should be allowed to take it.
Sorry? I may have missed something, but who are the lawyers who are saying that?

User avatar
Res Ipsa
God
Posts: 9867
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Res Ipsa »

Well, I don’t think that’s how it works. I don’t think a drug gets banned based on a bad interaction with another drug in a single patient.

Let’s say I invent a new drug that I claim cures prostate cancer. Should I just be able to put it on the market, start placing ads, and making sales calls on doctors? Or should it even require a prescription? What would be your rules for selling my drug to the company? Would it be the same rules that apply to selling socks? If not, how would you make it different?

Gunnar
God
Posts: 5665
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:25 am
Obama took approximately a million times more undeserved abuse than Trump ever has, and yet, I don't consider him my champion. He was President. It comes with the job. You don't campaign for 15 months trying to win the office and then whine when everyone flashes a critical spotlight on you because you took the high-profile job.

____ whiny little babies. The GOP is the embodiment of everything about which I've ever heard them complain. Hypocrites and babies.
This is a distinction that can't be over emphasized. Though much (but admittedly not all) of the criticism Obama received from the mainstream press was undeserved, he did not whine endlessly about it, or try to deny having been mistaken when unequivocally pointed out to him, or blame others for his mistakes.

On the other hand, almost every bit of the criticism and condemnation Trump gets from the mainstream press is obviously well deserved and well documented. He is by far the most pathologically dishonest and openly corrupt President in history. He doesn't even try to apologize for his lies when unequivocally confronted with them, and he often contradicts himself. He has been known to deny having said something false or stupid, even after having just been confronted with unequivocal proof of having said it! On other occasions when confronted with his lies and contradictions by reporters on or off the record, he has been reported to say, "that's how I negotiate" or "it works for me. I'm President and you're not." He is totally shameless about his dishonesty and corruption, as long as he perceives it will benefit him and hurt his opponents. Even his favorite news Organization, Fox News, has, on occasion, justly excoriated Trump for his dishonesty, corruption or ineptitude.

Anyone who follows or supports Trump without question is either hopelessly deluded, or just as dishonest and corrupt as Trump himself.

User avatar
ajax18
God
Posts: 6385
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:56 pm

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by ajax18 »

If Trump has to put up with Jim Acosta, the next Democrat president should be subject to a daily grilling fron Sean Hannity.

User avatar
Icarus
First Presidency
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:01 pm

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Icarus »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:31 pm
If Trump has to put up with Jim Acosta, the next Democrat president should be subject to a daily grilling fron Sean Hannity.
Trump is more easily triggered by female reporters. He hates good journalism. Sean Hannity is not a journalist he is an uneducated radio babbler that got a spot on FOX because he is capable of ranting for an hour every night in long monologues while never allowing people on who would challenge him.
Last edited by Icarus on Fri May 22, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
grindael
Dragon
Posts: 6791
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:15 am

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by grindael »

Image

User avatar
Some Schmo
God
Posts: 14916
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:59 am

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Some Schmo »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:31 pm
If Trump has to put up with Jim Acosta, the next Democrat president should be subject to a daily grilling fron Sean Hannity.
That would be easy. The answer to every question would be, Don't be an idiot.

User avatar
Some Schmo
God
Posts: 14916
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:59 am

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:34 pm
Anyone who follows or supports Trump without question is either hopelessly deluded, or just as dishonest and corrupt as Trump himself.
It doesn't seem possible, but ajax proves this true every time he posts.

I seriously cannot imagine being that gullible.

Honestly. How does anyone fall for Trump? I'd have thought you'd have to be a monkey or something... or maybe from West Virginia.

Gunnar
God
Posts: 5665
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:25 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:34 pm
Anyone who follows or supports Trump without question is either hopelessly deluded, or just as dishonest and corrupt as Trump himself.
It doesn't seem possible, but ajax proves this true every time he posts.

I seriously cannot imagine being that gullible.

Honestly. How does anyone fall for Trump? I'd have thought you'd have to be a monkey or something... or maybe from West Virginia.
That is a huge mystery to me too. I don't even really need to hear what his critics say about him. The strongest evidence of his ignorance and incompetence is what exits almost every day from his own mouth. It boggles my mind that anyone with the science and math educational background required to be a competent optometrist, like Ajax, can fail to see that! It raises serious doubts in my mind that he can really be what he claims to be.

As you have said before, his only real skill his ability to attract and persuade others who are as biased and/or willfully ignorant or even more so than himself. Until Trump came along, I had no idea just how many people like that there were in this country. That there are so many, powerfully attests to the failure of the American Educational System. This also shows up in the poor average showing of American elementary and high school children at almost all grade levels compared to their contemporaries in most other developed countries, and even some third world countries. Yet, despite that, we manage to some outstanding schools and universities that are unexcelled by any others, anywhere else on earth. I am inclined to attribute much or this to systematic and deliberate efforts by anti-science, religiously motivated, fundamentalist conservatives who have succeeded in hijacking the Republican Party to dumb down the American electorate by defunding and deemphasizing the value of public education.

Gunnar
God
Posts: 5665
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:25 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:34 pm
Anyone who follows or supports Trump without question is either hopelessly deluded, or just as dishonest and corrupt as Trump himself.
It doesn't seem possible, but ajax proves this true every time he posts.

I seriously cannot imagine being that gullible.

Honestly. How does anyone fall for Trump? I'd have thought you'd have to be a monkey or something... or maybe from West Virginia.
That is a huge mystery to me too. I don't even really need to hear what his critics say about him. The strongest evidence of his ignorance and incompetence is what exits almost every day from his own mouth. It boggles my mind that anyone with the science and math educational background required to be a competent optometrist, like Ajax, can fail to see that! It raises serious doubts in my mind that he can really be what he claims to be.

As you have said before, his only real skill his ability to attract and persuade others who are as biased and/or willfully ignorant or even more so than himself. Until Trump came along, I had no idea just how many people like that there were in this country. That there are so many, powerfully attests to the failure of the American Educational System. This also shows up in the poor average showing of American elementary and high school children at almost all grade levels compared to their contemporaries in most other developed countries, and even some third world countries. Yet, despite that, we manage to have some outstanding schools and universities that are unexcelled by any others, anywhere else on earth.

I am inclined to attribute much of this educational deficiency to decades long, systematic and deliberate efforts by anti-science, religiously motivated, fundamentalist conservatives who have succeeded in hijacking the Republican Party, to dumb down the American electorate by inadequately funding and deemphasizing the value of public education and critical thinking.

User avatar
moksha
God
Posts: 21853
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by moksha »

Has there been anything more from Trump about drinking bleach?

Gunnar
God
Posts: 5665
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Good News! Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine!

Post by Gunnar »

moksha wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:39 am
Has there been anything more from Trump about drinking bleach?
Even Trump has enough working brain cells to figure out that his remarks about that made him a worldwide laughing stock. I doubt he'll make that particular mistake again.

Post Reply