Stark Reality of Ineptitude of Trump's Covid-19 Response

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated G through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Stark Reality of Ineptitude of Trump's Covid-19 Response

Post by Gunnar »

1. The USA with only 4.25% of the world's population has just under 32% of the entire corona virus cases on earth. This exceeds the combined total of the next 6 nations combined plus China.

2. As Mitt Romney pointed out, despite Trump's boasts, our record of testing for corona virus is nothing to celebrate, when we consider that by early March when the USA had tested only 2,000 and Trump was still downplaying the serious of the pandemic and dismissing the need for strong mitigating measures. South Korea, by that time, had already tested 140,000--70 times as many, and initiated strict social distancing, quarantines and shutdowns to mitigate the impending crisis. Now, about 2 1/2 months later, South Korea has had only 10,962 confirmed cases and only 259 deaths. In contrast, the number of cases in the US (with only 6.6 times South Korea's population) has accumulated more than 1,388,00 confirmed cases (almost 127 times as many as South Korea) and 83,715 deaths (more than 323 times as many) and still counting rapidly.

This starkly tragic comparison is not disputed even by FOX News! Anyone who still thinks that the Trump administration has handled this crisis better or even as well as other nations, and shares no responsibility or blame for this travesty is a flaming, delusional idiot!

Steve Schmidt, a former GOP strategist who successfully managed GW Bush's Presidential campaign, rightly blasted Trump for the most inept response to "any crisis in history!"

Gunnar
God

Re: Stark Reality of Ineptitude of Trump's Covid-19 Response

Post by Gunnar »

If Republican lawmakers and party leaders had any sense or integrity, they would do their darnedest to persuade Trump to resign from the 2020 Presidential campaign and select some other Republican candidate for President during this year's Republican convention.

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Pretty sure the religious answer would be that the higher incidence of COVID-19 is due to God's wrath for electing Donald Trump.

Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

How about it, Trump fans? Are any of you still willing to step up to the plate and try to defend Trump's pandemic response?

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:19 am
How about it, Trump fans? Are any of you still willing to step up to the plate and try to defend Trump's pandemic response?
Where WERE you? http://mormondiscussions.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53262

Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:20 am
Gunnar wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:19 am
I was one of the victims of the /phpBB3/ problem until I saw Dr. Shades' suggested remedy today. I noticed that there are 3 new PMs in my inbox, but when I click on the inbox, nothing happens. I suspect at least one of them is from you.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:56 am
Jersey Girl wrote:

I was one of the victims of the /phpBB3/ problem until I saw Dr. Shades' suggested remedy today. I noticed that there are 3 new PMs in my inbox, but when I click on the inbox, nothing happens. I suspect at least one of them is from you.
I didn't message you. I knew you couldn't get on the board because I saw you online here and you weren't posting. I was on the back up board when I figured out how to get in here. I told the posters there how to do it and then I started a couple or three posts for people who couldn't open the threads and I did this one especially for you: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53262

I will modify this post with a link to the back up board so you can keep it if you can't get in here again.

You worried me, Gunnar! :eek:

MormonDiscussions.com Back up board link: https://mormondiscussions.forumotion.com/

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:56 am
Jersey Girl wrote:

If your inbox won’t open, try Right clickIng the inbox link, and selectIng copy. Then Paste the address into a new tab, but inspect it before going to it. It may still contain the phpBB3 term, which you can delete by hand.

Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

It's quite telling that, so far, not one of the Trump supporters here has even tried to explain away the damning evidence given in my OP of how terribly Trump has handled the corona virus pandemic. They obviously know they will only succeed in embarrassing and disgracing themselves by even trying.

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:08 am
It's quite telling that, so far, not one of the Trump supporters here has even tried to explain away the damning evidence given in my OP of how terribly Trump has handled the corona virus pandemic. They obviously know they will only succeed in embarrassing and disgracing themselves by even trying.
What could anyone say to defend his response without lying or sounding like a moron?

Honestly, I don't think Trump supporters have really internalized his response. If they thought about it too much, they'd have to admit what a ____ up he is. Everyone saw how he downplayed it for weeks before having to admit it was a pandemic. If you still trust him now, after all of this, you're just a brainless follower with no will, backbone or intellectual life of your own.

I have a question
God

Post by I have a question »

I'm not keen on defending Trump as an individual. But the comparison of Covid statistics at the moment is a misleading activity. In the UK it looks like the government has handled the pandemic badly as it has now incurred more deaths than any other country (excluding the USA which, to be fair, should be considered a continent for this exercise). However, that is only a judgement based on the assumption that all reporting is equal - that countries are monitoring and recording Covid statistics in the same way, with the same criteria and to the same levels of accuracy and honesty. Which is unlikely to be the case.

As a scientist recently said, the fairest assessment of how countries have handled this pandemic will be when you take the average total number of deaths per country for the last 10 years over the specific months in question and compare those rates to those for 2020. The variance will be (to within a fine tolerance) the Covid factor.

(For the record, I think Trump will come out badly on this no matter what. His comments initially about it being a hoax, and then suggesting scientists explore the option of injecting people with disinfectant may be enough on their own. But when his advisors and people around him start breaking cover, his idiocy will be laid bare for all to see)

Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:35 am
Gunnar wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:08 am
What could anyone say to defend his response without lying or sounding like a moron?
Exactly!
Honestly, I don't think Trump supporters have really internalized his response. If they thought about it too much, they'd have to admit what a ____ up he is.
Which is obviously anathema to them.
Everyone saw how he downplayed it for weeks before having to admit it was a pandemic.
Undeniably true for anyone both honest and rational.
If you still trust him now, after all of this, you're just a brainless follower with no will, backbone or intellectual life of your own.
Even if that was ever in dispute, it certainly is no longer!

Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

I have a question wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:56 am

(For the record, I think Trump will come out badly on this no matter what. His comments initially about it being a hoax, and then suggesting scientists explore the option of injecting people with disinfectant may be enough on their own. But when his advisors and people around him start breaking cover, his idiocy will be laid bare for all to see)
It appears to me that even Trump himself is beginning to realize the truth of that, which is probably why he seems to be becoming increasingly unhinged in his remarks and behavior. A less self-absorbed and narcissistic individual than Trump would probably, by now, be seriously considering the possibility that the best way of minimizing further embarrassment would be to resign and let someone else take over.
Last edited by Gunnar on Thu May 14, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:33 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:35 am
If you still trust him now, after all of this, you're just a brainless follower with no will, backbone or intellectual life of your own.
Even if that was ever in dispute, it certainly is no longer! (my bold)
Yeah, you know, I remember the day after the election. I had a dentist's appointment that day and I was sitting in the waiting room, not really thinking about the dentist. I was thinking some version of Holy ____ what the ____ is going to happen to this country now?

Another dude was in the waiting room, an older guy, and he says to me (striking up a conversation), "Quite the election last night, huh?"

I said, "Yeah, I've never been so terrified in my life." I don't think he liked that answer.

We'd actually gotten somewhat lucky before the pandemic. Other than some hurricane disasters, nothing catastrophic that the current infrastructure couldn't handle (for the most part) had happened. We didn't have to rely too much on the President handling things properly.

Then a pandemic happened. Now the party of responsibility has no relationship to responsibility. This asshole ____ us, because he's clearly an incompetent. I knew that the day I sat in my dentist's office 3 and a half years ago. That this would happen was essentially inevitable.

People who still support Trump proved long ago they were a bunch of nobodys without their idiotic tribe. Hollow, obedient robots, programmed to think nothing outside their own limited self-interests, and ____ them up anyway.

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:51 pm
We'd actually gotten somewhat lucky before the pandemic. Other than some hurricane disasters, nothing catastrophic that the current infrastructure couldn't handle (for the most part) had happened. We didn't have to rely too much on the President handling things properly.
I want to revise this because it paints way too rosy a picture.

We had gotten lucky (for the most part) in terms of outside environmental factors that could cause grave harm, the kinds of which you really want a strong, smart leader to handle. Of course it's true that Trump has essentially made everything he's touched worse, but he inherited a functioning thing (mostly), and it carried him for a while.

It's just our luck that a 100 year pandemic happened to coincide with having the absolute worst President in history in office at the time.

Nothing makes me laugh ironically these days like the phrase greatest country in the world. Maybe in some parallel universe...

Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:04 pm
It's just our luck that a 100 year pandemic happened to coincide with having the absolute worst President in history in office at the time.

Nothing makes me laugh ironically these days like the phrase greatest country in the world. Maybe in some parallel universe...
As I said in my OP, even as prominent a Republican as former GOP strategist, Steve Schmidt, blasted Trump for the most inept response to "any crisis in history!"

Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

What makes this even sadder, our country has often been a world leader in solving previous crises, including scientific problems and threats. For example: Under the leadership of President Obama, American doctors and scientists played a significant role in defusing the potential Ebola crisis, in the process establishing a robust pandemic response team to handle and mitigate precisely the kind of crisis we are suffering from now. Trump stupidly dismantled that team in 2018 and gave away or sold its material resources to China, using the excuse that no such team was needed when there was no actual crisis occurring. The real reason, of course, was Trump's vindictive determination to do away with anything, whether good (especially if it was good) or bad, that Obama had anything to do with. He couldn't stand the idea of leaving anything in place for which Obama could rightly take credit. See also: Trump team failed to follow NSC’s pandemic playbook
The 69-page document, finished in 2016, provided a step by step list of priorities – which were then ignored by the administration.
Now USA "leadership" is widely seen as ineffective or a joke by even some of America's closest friends and allies -- Thanks to our dear President Trump!

ETA: Need anyone point out that Trump's excuse for dismantling the Pandemic Crisis Team in 2018 is every bit as stupid as arguing that there is no need for fire insurance as long as your house is not burning?

Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Another question for you Trump supporters: Have any of you changed your mind about supporting Trump because of his egregiously inept handling of the pandemic?

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Should California go with its proposed lottery for the 100-200 doses of the Covid-19 drug Remdesivir, or should it use the Republican plan of selling the medicine to the highest bidder?

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

moksha wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:32 pm
Should California go with its proposed lottery for the 100-200 doses of the Covid-19 drug Remdesivir, or should it use the Republican plan of selling the medicine to the highest bidder?
We have 100 doses in a population of over 5.7 million people. Yeah good luck with that.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:06 pm
This starkly tragic comparison is not disputed even by FOX News! Anyone who still thinks that the Trump administration has handled this crisis better or even as well as other nations, and shares no responsibility or blame for this travesty is a flaming, delusional idiot!
Yes and buddy boy in the White House boasts that we have administered 20 million tests. Have I got that right? What? What kind of tests? 20 million in a country of more than 328 million residents while he and his administration gets tested on demand? The accuracy of the much lauded Abbott test is now being called into question. This has been mishandled from the get go and as if we didn't know that already, the current hearings are proving it without a shadow of a doubt.

From all I have read and listened to, this country can NOT wait until November election to shift course. Something needs to be done about it NOW. Is the US willing to roll the dice and bet on a Biden win when we'll likely be up to our eyeballs in a second wave hit of this virus before November because by January (when/if he takes oath) we'll already be screwed out of our minds and our lives?

He knows he's backed into a corner with this Obamagate ____ he's come out with. It's a desperate attempt to cause a diversion and shift his messaging toward election while the states re-open on their own without federal support like he wanted them to and the number of new cases and deaths continues to climb. The question is, will he shift course on his own? I think not.

Look at what the hell he's said about children returning to school. We'll have enough tests to test teachers? Teachers? What about the children? If he's willing to turn a blind eye to the well being of children then we don't stand a chance here.

I don't know what can be done about this but something has got to change here. It's possible that the American public will change the course of this roller coaster ride into hell on their own by not patronizing businesses and maintaining their own stay at home orders. But I don't count on it.