Snow in May

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated G through PG-13.
Lemmie
God

Snow in May

Post by Lemmie »

On top of everything else here in the tri-state area, it is currently snowing.

Anyone else have snow?

Jersey Girl
God

Re: Snow in May

Post by Jersey Girl »

I knew it was supposed to snow up in the Catskills but not in your general area. Here we typically get snow through to the end of May. I call it the roller coaster ride into Spring. I've actually seen it snow here in every single month. Yes, even Jul/Aug.

I feel ya, Lemmie! Cozy up it won't last!

MissTish
God

Post by MissTish »

Some flakes here last night. Monmouth county New Jersey

I’m very happy I didn’t plant my annuals this week. I was too lazy but now I see it was for the best

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

MissTish wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:34 pm

I’m very happy I didn’t plant my annuals this week. I was too lazy but now I see it was for the best
Tish you are in Monmouth County? That's exactly where I grew up! :lol:

Out here I don't plant annuals until 1 Jun now. I ustacould ;-) plant right on Mother's Day but no more.

MeDotOrg
God

Post by MeDotOrg »

MissTish wrote:

You weren't too lazy. You meditated on the subject until the right course was revealed to you. :wink:

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:05 pm
MissTish wrote:

You weren't too lazy. You meditated on the subject until the right course was revealed to you. :wink:
Lol. Unlike me. I was not in tune, and now my Jasmine that winters indoors thinks I sent it to Alaska for the summer.

huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

sunny with 80 degrees. great day for a walk.smile.

honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

101 F today.

Our Star Jasmine I planted out front 6 years ago or so is just starting it's summer bloom period. It's under the front overhang near the front doors protected from the worst of the sun and rarely gets direct sunlight which would probably toast it.

MissTish
God

Post by MissTish »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:48 pm
MissTish wrote:

Tish you are in Monmouth County? That's exactly where I grew up! :lol:

Out here I don't plant annuals until 1 Jun now. I ustacould ;-) plant right on Mother's Day but no more.
Yes I’m a New Jersey transplant. I moved here from New York some years back and have made it my home. I have grown to really love my adopted town :smile:

MissTish
God

Post by MissTish »

MeDotOrg wrote:
MissTish wrote:

A much better way of seeing it :smile:

MissTish
God

Post by MissTish »

Lemmie wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:27 pm
MeDotOrg wrote:

Lol. Unlike me. I was not in tune, and now my Jasmine that winters indoors thinks I sent it to Alaska for the summer.
A friend of mine was outside last night pulling anything in pots inside and covering her irises. We’re usually safe by this time, but this year seems to be determined to make us feel like we’re living in a tombola drum

Brackite
God

Post by Brackite »

I've seen it snow in Utah in May.

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

It snowed a couple times when I lived in Atlanta.

Seems newsworthy. "Hotlanta" is not true all year 'round; that's for sure.

Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Snow? What's that? I live in California's Central Valley, where it hardly ever snows.

Seriously, though, some incurious people raised until adulthood in Southern California are amazingly clueless about Snow. I met a missionary in Denmark who had been born and raised all his life in Los Angeles and had never seen snow before coming to Denmark. He knew, of course, that it was a form of frozen water, but he was amazed the first time he saw snow falling from the sky. He had somehow gotten the impression that snow was something that came up from the ground whenever it got cold enough. I guess the closest thing he had ever seen to snow was frost. This same guy was equally stunned one sunny summer day when he happened to look up in the sky and saw the moon. Somehow, he had managed to grow to adulthood without ever noticing that whenever the moon is overhead, it can be seen even during daylight hours on a sunny day. Maybe the persistent smog in his hometown, Los Angeles, had something to do with that.