Life Under Coronavirus

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated G through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Life Under Coronavirus

Post by Res Ipsa »

EAllusion wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:11 am
There's a preprint out of the first major hydrochloroquine study indicating it has no therapeutic benefit, with or without zpac, in treatment of COVID, but does have a statistically significant association with increased mortality rate. It's prudent to wait for peer-review, but that's doesn't sound too promising.
Is that the VA study? I just caught a short bit about it on the TV during lunch.

EAllusion
God

Post by EAllusion »

Yeah.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf

Not the ideal study design, but reasonable given data limitations, and it's a preprint, but the results sure as heck aren't promising. There's two international attempts at a double blind placebo study I'm aware of that had to end the experiment because of patients potentially dying due to the hydrochloroquine treatment. I'm not sure what else is in the works. The French study - "study" - that seemed to be a font of the initial hype is quackery, so taken together things don't look good on that front. If this VA study's findings hold up, that would be scandalous given what Trump/Fox did, so I'd expect these findings to become political footballs.

On the more optimistic side, there are other treatments showing some preliminary positive signs. The most hopeful bridge to normalcy at this point is one or more treatments significantly improving outcomes.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

msnobody wrote: I'm working, but pretty much sequestered in a room at my workplace, with a computer, calling patients, and stepping out a few times a day to interact with others, checking fax, etc. I grew up an only child, and this is hard. You'd think I'd be better at this. Can I get a service animal? :eek:
I also grew up as an only child though I have 4 siblings. There's a story there. Anyway, I think I've overall handled this well though I did feel like I needed to cut down drastically on online activity and social media. I have my phone and computer shut down for long periods throughout the day. This feels a little like it did after 9/11 where there were 24/7 reports everywhere you looked. That's not particularly good for me. I think you really could get a service animal. Try a Pug! They want to squish up against you all the time. Think of it as a fat weighted blanket with a bold appetite!

:-)

MeDotOrg
God

Post by MeDotOrg »

My best friend had an operation yesterday to remove a large cystic mass in her abdomen. It was not cancerous, but it was pressing against her psoas muscle. It was serious enough to have an operation at this time, which should tell you it was serious. She was scheduled to come home today, but she has post surgery muscle trauma and is having difficulty walking.

She's 70 years old. Not a great time to have surgery. Her daughter is disabled and lives at home. So most days I go from my apartment to her apartment.

When my friend comes home, her daughter will move to another friend's apartment for 2 weeks. Her daughter is disabled and has so many health complications that COVID-19 would probably be a death sentence. But until my friend comes home, her daughter stays at home. I get groceries, take-out and walk the dogs.

They have 2 dogs: a malti-poo and a yellow American lab. The lab is her disabled daughter's service dog. I love dogs. When I'm lying on the sofa and one of her dogs falls asleep with their head on my abdomen, it just makes me feel at peace and secure. I know there are studies about people's blood pressure dropping around dogs. I believe it.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
- Will Rogers
It's kind of sad: There is a LARGE Bernese mountain dog that lives my friend's apartment building that I've been seeing since she was a puppy. Now every time I see her, her owner has to drag her back because she lunges over to jump on me the way she used to. Social distancing can be a bummer with our canine buddies.

MsJack
θεά

Post by MsJack »

I'd like to see a study of HCQ, HCQ+Azy, and HCQ+zinc done in patients early in the disease. Lots of antivirals are only effective if given early, but most of the studies showing little effect for HCQ are being done on patients who are already hospitalized.

In other news, looks like my suburb in Cook County is the worst hit. Ugh.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html

Icarus
First Presidency

Post by Icarus »

This was the first video of a doctor pushing these drugs I saw a few weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

What's wrong with this? He calls these "two antibiotics" that "cure" COVID.

Antibiotics don't work on viruses, they work on bacterial infections.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

So our governor in his infinite wisdom decided to start lifting restrictions in a 3-part stage model type deal starting...FRIDAY. So far as I can tell (and I've been following the stats for a month now interpreting them as best as I can) we do NOT have a 14 day trend downward as per the guidelines for re-opening as presented by Dr. Birx. I don't think that even one of the states that are re-opening right now have that trend in place.

I'm doing my first grocery pick up experience tomorrow at Walmart. I'm going to make myself go inside the store masked and visit the garden center area. I don't need to buy anything. I'm doing it for mental health purposes and a sense of normalcy. I had already decided to do this before I knew about the restrictions being lifted for a stage 1 re-opening. Since the restrictions are lifted starting Friday I feel like this is a good time to try getting in there before people start coming out in droves which I believe can happen. If I feel like it's unwise, I'll just turn around and leave.

All the local Facebook groups and IRL friends I've heard from think this is far too soon to lift restrictions. But I guess when you've got the President himself encouraging states to violate HIS own policies developed by HIS own experts for re-opening then--anything goes.

Yee ha.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote: I'm doing my first grocery pick up experience tomorrow at Walmart. I'm going to make myself go inside the store masked and visit the garden center area. I don't need to buy anything. I'm doing it for mental health purposes and a sense of normalcy. I had already decided to do this before I knew about the restrictions being lifted for a stage 1 re-opening. Since the restrictions are lifted starting Friday I feel like this is a good time to try getting in there before people start coming out in droves which I believe can happen. If I feel like it's unwise, I'll just turn around and leave.
Did it and done. All of it. Since the Walmart that is just 15-20 minutes from me doesn't deliver out here (nobody does except the local pizza place) I did the grocery pick up. It went like clockwork, color me impressed. The store worker who loaded my stuff was so congenial. I didn't get the feeling that he was stressed out. Masked, but not gloved. I was in fresh produce withdrawal, so that's mainly what I got. Walmart isn't known for great produce but I'm happy to have it.

I got everything I ordered with only one substitution--they gave me more than twice of the sub for the same price so I took it. I noticed that when I re-added things after midnight last night, they suddenly had items that were out of stock when I placed the original order. Go figure. I'll definitely do the pick up again when I need to.

Ran by the front of the store to see how they were handling store traffic. Parked and thought it over for a few minutes and decided to go inside. Was probably only inside the store for 10 minutes, double masked the entire time. I didn't feel at all stressed about it. The store traffic was very low and most customers and all employees were masked. Walked to the garden center, gave it the once over and went back inside and down one aisle. I don't understand how people are going in there without masks. I can't decide if they're ignorant, independent, in denial or suicidal.

I got a chance to see the plexiglass shields in front of the cashiers. I don't think they're sufficient but with employees and most customers masked, I guess they'll do. Didn't need to go through a register.

All things considered, it was a pleasant trip. Service was fab, I made myself go inside the store for a short and we've got salad for dinner.

:-)

MsJack
θεά

Post by MsJack »

Update from me: I'm 34+3 today. I've been diagnosed with preeclampsia, moved to x2/wk monitoring, and given steroid shots to strengthen the baby's lungs in anticipation of early delivery.

Outcomes for 34-37 week preemies are generally very good, so I'm not panicking, but this is new territory for me.

No sign of COVID in my household.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

MsJack wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:31 pm
Update from me: I'm 34+3 today. I've been diagnosed with preeclampsia, moved to x2/wk monitoring, and given steroid shots to strengthen the baby's lungs in anticipation of early delivery.

Outcomes for 34-37 week preemies are generally very good, so I'm not panicking, but this is new territory for me.

No sign of COVID in my household.
Hang in there, MsJack. I had preeclampsia with my first, but a little later in my pregnancy. I ended up with a C-section within a week of my due date. Looking back I would say that I could have stayed calmer. Not that I am saying mind over medical matters(!), but meditation and mindfulness techniques did seem to help my blood pressure, but more importantly my calmness of mind and mental well-being. I’m pretty sure I am preaching to the choir with this advice! But in any case, keep us up to date. Feel free to PM me if you would like to chat, or just need a sympathetic ear.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Has anyone else noticed an uptick in folks selling food from home? I'm talking mainly about Facebook Marketplace but our local Facebook groups are lighting up with selling cooks as well. Around here it's tamales, soups, stews, chili, egg rolls, tons and tons of baked goods--breads, muffins, cookies, rolls, buns, and even freezer prep meals. I'm wondering if this is how folks are supplementing their income on unemployment? If so, they're pretty resourceful!

Imwashingmypirate
Lip gloss eater

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

My 5 year old is at home. He is loving not having to go to school. Some kids are still going to school because their parents are front line workers.

My husband is still working and his company are taking the Mick. They are having them work over time without any PPE even though they have 5000 masks sitting in storage. Apparently they are waiting for Boris Johnston to tell them to use them in the hopes that they can get their money back if they don't use them. They are also talking about upping the hours to 12 hour shifts. His lab is about 1.2 meters wide. So no social distancing.

My 2.5 year old doesn't understand. She isn't complaining but does ask to go to the cafe or to visit people.

I'm like blahhhhhh some days. Some days are fun.

We are in lockdown. So I only occassionally go to the shop.

Decorating the livingroom. Slowly though.

Hoping to take the kids to the park today.

Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:19 am
I'm like blahhhhhh some days. Some days are fun.
Nice to hear from you again!

Believe me, you're doing REALLY well - congratulations!

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Pirate! <3

Imwashingmypirate
Lip gloss eater

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Hello. :) I just pop in every now and then.
Enjoying letting my brain go with the flow and not think too much about things these days lol. Think I discussed and debated my brains out too young 😂 got nothing left.

Husband is pissing me off today. But he doesn't know I'm pissed off cos he's being a selfish ignorant git. Ugghhh I.

Am I the only person that sticks their finger up at their partner when they aren't looking?

Any way.. meh.

Just annoyed because he said he would help me take the tv off the wall when the kids were asleep and then when the time came he refused to get up so I ended up doing it myself and it was not fun. He works, sleeps and plays computer games. And I mean like he can sleep 24 hours straight on his days off. And play computer games for the entire day. Then days where he isn't doing that he can moan and criticise me about how I've not done enough. Today he said I'm almost being the woman of his dreams that he wants me to be. Because I literally didn't stop. Which kinda sounds strange now that I am writing it down. Hmmmm.

Think I've started ranting. Lol

How are you all? Anything interesting happening?

subgenius
God

Post by subgenius »

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

So this just happened. I got a call to come in for routine blood labs and an office visit with my PCP. I asked if they had the antibody tests--yes. When I go in for the office visit I'm going to find out what the criteria is to take the antibody test and see how that goes. Reason: I was sick right after my birthday in early March. I am not convinced I was exposed to the virus but I did have odd symptoms come on during that period of time and I'd like to know. Not sure if that is a good reason to do it. I'll figure it out when I go for the office visit.

I also don't know what the controls are on the testing. How many times you can be tested.

I'll just report back after the appointment so folks can see what it might be like for testing if they're interested or have reason to think they might've been exposed. Whether or not I was tested and why/why not. Also outcome if I do get tested.

ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I wonder if cruises will ever happen again. I'm guessing not for another 3 years.

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:02 pm
I wonder if cruises will ever happen again. I'm guessing not for another 3 years.
Carnival is planning a restart this year.

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:55 pm
So this just happened. I got a call to come in for routine blood labs and an office visit with my PCP. I asked if they had the antibody tests--yes. When I go in for the office visit I'm going to find out what the criteria is to take the antibody test and see how that goes. Reason: I was sick right after my birthday in early March. I am not convinced I was exposed to the virus but I did have odd symptoms come on during that period of time and I'd like to know. Not sure if that is a good reason to do it. I'll figure it out when I go for the office visit.

I also don't know what the controls are on the testing. How many times you can be tested.

I'll just report back after the appointment so folks can see what it might be like for testing if they're interested or have reason to think they might've been exposed. Whether or not I was tested and why/why not. Also outcome if I do get tested.
Ask if it’s an ELISA test.

ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Carnival is planning a restart this year.
I loved cruises but now it scares me. Would anyyone else risk it this December?