Meet PERFUME, MormonDiscussions.com's official Japanese Electro-pop group!!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated G through PG-13.
Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Re: Meet PERFUME, MormonDiscussions.com's official Japanese

Post by Dr. Shades »

"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Buried in the long list in page 11 of this thread, I have located what I'm convinced is Perfume's very first "public" performance with their current line-up and of a song all their own, i.e. not a cover (which happens to be the first song in the "The Early Years" post in the first page of this thread). It took place on March 17, 2002, which means they were each 13 years old. Just look at their ages and imagine how long they've been performing together:

It was during a recital at their performing arts school.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

--Louis Midgley

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

The following is a historic song: This was the very first one created for Perfume by Yasutaka Nakata, the man who would go on to become their songwriter, musician, and producer. . . and who remains all three even now. Oddly, the song never saw the light of day until well over 15 years later, when it appeared as a bonus track to "Perfume the Best Pᶟ," their first "Greatest Hits" album.

--Louis Midgley

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:Buried in the long list in page 11 of this thread, I have located what I'm convinced is Perfume's very first "public" performance with their current line-up and of a song all their own, i.e. not a cover (which happens to be the first song in the "The Early Years" post in the first page of this thread). It took place on March 17, 2002, which means they were each 13 years old. Just look at their ages and imagine how long they've been performing together:

It was during a recital at their performing arts school.

Adorable. Nocchi wasn't in the group then, was she? She replaced a member, right?

See, I know stuff. Maybe not as much as you do, but I pay attention.

:cool:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:The following is a historic song: This was the very first one created for Perfume by Yasutaka Nakata, the man who would go on to become their songwriter, musician, and producer. . . and who remains all three even now. Oddly, the song never saw the light of day until well over 15 years later, when it appeared as a bonus track to "Perfume the Best Pᶟ," their first "Greatest Hits" album.

I might be a new convert to Perfumemaniacism, but I could easily fire up my Stones thread again and keep it going indefinitely like you do this thread. I almost resurrected it last week and I probably will at some point here.

I'm just saying I get it.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

--Louis Midgley

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Jersey Girl wrote:Adorable. Nocchi wasn't in the group then, was she? She replaced a member, right?

No and yes, respectively. She replaced Yuka Kawashima, a.k.a. "Kawayuka," after the latter voluntarily left the group in order to spend more time on her studies. But that's indeed Nocchi in the video you watched, hence the reason I described it as what's most likely their earliest recorded performance with their current line-up.

Jersey Girl wrote:I might be a new convert to Perfumemaniacism, but I could easily fire up my Stones thread again and keep it going indefinitely like you do this thread.

And there wouldn't be a thing wrong with doing so.

I'm just saying I get it.

And bless you for that.

--Louis Midgley

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

--Louis Midgley

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT:

Perfume were recently "cartoonized" when they appeared as themselves in a kids' show. Each episode is only a minute and 25 seconds long. The show revolves around an office worker whose lunchbox contents are sentient and able to speak. See what happens when our three favorite ladies arrive and "out" him as having a crush on one of his co-workers:

--Louis Midgley

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

--Louis Midgley

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Perfume's newest single dropped yesterday. It's the theme song from the movie "Shijinsou no Satsujin":

In my opinion, it needs a lot more bass. Its lack thereof causes it to creep dangerously close to the generic "idol"-pop ubiquitous to Korea and Japan. Was Yasutaka Nakata, their manager / songwriter, just phoning it in this time?

But who knows, maybe it'll grow on me with time.

--Louis Midgley

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:Perfume's newest single dropped yesterday. It's the theme song from the movie "Shijinsou no Satsujin":

In my opinion, it needs a lot more bass. Its lack thereof causes it to creep dangerously close to the generic "idol"-pop ubiquitous to Korea and Japan. Was Yasutaka Nakata, their manager / songwriter, just phoning it in this time?

But who knows, maybe it'll grow on me with time.

I don't usually visit these threads because I sometimes find it hard to resist throwing Shades some shade, given his obsequious worship of this band.

Imagine my delight to find a Shades criticism of Perfume! Holy large crap chunks! They are human to him after all!
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Perfume on my Mind wrote:Imagine my delight to find a Shades criticism of Perfume! Holy large crap chunks! They are human to him after all!

Oh, I've expressed reservations before. For better or for worse, due to contractual obligations their music is 100% dependent on their songwriter / producer--who consists of a single guy only. They have expressed their desire to try their hand at writing some of their own songs and perhaps music, but he has shot them down every time because he loses money if he's not the sole contributor.

So, his unique vision has made their music great and set them apart from the mass-produced cookie-cutter artificially fabricated idol groups, but it's a double-edged sword, 'cause every time he swings and misses they are the ones who have to own it and play along anyway just the same as they do when he hits the home runs.

But the girls themselves are perfect, however. ;-)

To end on a lighter note, here's an EXTREMELY early version of them performing "Jenny's in a Bad Mood," most likely when they were still in school: Jenny's in a Bad Mood Look for Nocchi's hat and her funny reaction thereunto in the last few seconds.

--Louis Midgley

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

--Louis Midgley

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Hollywood Life, an online magazine, did a very positive interview with our official J-pop band. It's in English, so we can all enjoy it:

--Louis Midgley

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

--Louis Midgley

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Our favorite--and official--Japanese Electro-pop group granted an interview to Refinery 29 magazine. The interview turned out to be quite positive, but that's no real surprise, considering it's Perfume. They discuss their image, their interaction with and incorporation of technology, how their aspirations have changed over the years, their relationships with each other, and other things. See:

--Louis Midgley

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

It's a PERFUME Christmas!

Post by Dr. Shades »

'Tis the season! As we're all well aware, Christmas will be upon us this week. Amid the hustle and bustle of filling all those lists--or pointing-and-clicking, if online shopping is more your thing--you've hopefully heard much delightful Christmas music along the way.

This Yuletide also marks the six-year anniversary of when the members of our favorite--and official--Japanese electro-pop act, "Perfume," made their triumphant return to the Tokyo Dome after a little over a three-year absence. (They have since returned once or twice and will perform there again this coming February.) The fact that it was Christmas wasn't lost on them, so they dressed appropriately for one segment and tossed gifts into the crowd whilst singing. (What exactly those gifts were, I still haven't figured out, but who's going to turn up his or her nose at a gift from these three?)

So, let's all allow Perfume to bring us even more Christmas spirit by soaking in the joy and festivities encapsulated in the following YouTube video!

By way of trivia, this particular concert gave us quite a few videos from the original lists of this thread. I counted no less than six--yes, SIX--different costumes they wore during its course, meaning they underwent costume changes a full five times during the show itself. What a pain! But at the same time, what dedication to their craft! If the above link got you at all fired up for more, here's a rewind to the epic start of that concert. When I say "epic," you'll see what I mean:

--Louis Midgley

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

--Louis Midgley

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Dear Perfumaniacs,

Merry Christmas to you all! V Magazine ran a very complimentary story on our favorite J-Pop group, Perfume. I'm guessing it's in the "gonzo journalism" variety, because the author is telling us her experience in and around the band. It includes a slideshow featuring not only the members but the fans in line as well. Enjoy:

--Louis Midgley