Good Stories and Music?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Re: Good Stories and Music?

Post by _Chap »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Whatever the case may be the genie is out of the bottle and the only viable solution I can see is a two-state solution, but as we know the political nuance is such that that's a virtual impossibility. I think we'll continue to see the displacement of Palestinian populations by Israeli settlements and 'security' land grabs. It is what it is, and we'll probably be on the hook for tens in not hundreds of billions of dollars in foreign aid for the region.

Why should we be "on the hook?" Why shouldn't we just not send any foreign aid and let our tax dollars go to, oh, I don't know. . . the ones who paid them?

Because not having yet another conflict in the Middle East, and one involving Israel (a nuclear armed ally of the US, remember?) is overwhelmingly in the interests of the USD taxpayer. And dealing with such hotspots by non-military means is in the long run much, much cheaper than the other option.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Chap wrote:And dealing with such hotspots by non-military means is in the long run much, much cheaper than the other option.

Why not just let the Israeli taxpayers deal with such hotspots and, you know, not bother doing so ourselves via military means?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:It is what it is, and we'll probably be on the hook for tens in not hundreds of billions of dollars in foreign aid for the region.

Why should we be "on the hook?" Why shouldn't we just not send any foreign aid and let our tax dollars go to, oh, I don't know. . . the ones who paid them?

I agree, but we’re kvetching against the wind due to AIPAC’s and a few other pro-Israeli PAC’s influence on our government. Also, Jewish super representation across all public and private sectors guarantees Israel’s affairs are always front and center. I kind of view Jewish influence on our lives much the same way I view, say, WASP influence on our lives - it is what it is. All you can do is vote your conscience, support PACs that promote your interests , and then drive on with livin’ life.

- Doc
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jersey Girl wrote:Did you catch that bit about Joseph Smith in that article?

I totally missed it. I’m glad you pointed it out, though. The wiki article on Noah was fascinating. He was a complex and dynamic man.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Chap wrote:And dealing with such hotspots by non-military means is in the long run much, much cheaper than the other option.

Why not just let the Israeli taxpayers deal with such hotspots and, you know, not bother doing so ourselves via military means?

Sure, if your neighbour wants to set their house on fire, as a continuation of present Israeli government policy is likely to do, let them. And a nuclear armed neighbour is everybody's neighbour.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Gunnar wrote:Like it or not, there is really nothing special about the White race that sets them apart as either better or worse than any other racial group or subgroup.

The mayonnaise industry is eyeballing your comments with some distress.