Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Mittens
God
Posts: 1165
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by Mittens »

Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve

slskipper
Sunbeam
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:39 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by slskipper »

No, it's not the traditional Christ. But who says the "traditional" Christ is the right one? Per Mormonism, Joseph Smith's whole purpose was to correct errors that had infiltrated the original Christianity.

Mittens
God
Posts: 1165
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by Mittens »

slskipper wrote:No, it's not the traditional Christ. But who says the "traditional" Christ is the right one? Per Mormonism, Joseph Smith's whole purpose was to correct errors that had infiltrated the original Christianity.


Yet Joseph Smith taught complete error and added this to Mormonism
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve

User avatar
huckelberry
God
Posts: 4427
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:29 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by huckelberry »

Mittens wrote:
slskipper wrote:No, it's not the traditional Christ. But who says the "traditional" Christ is the right one? Per Mormonism, Joseph Smith's whole purpose was to correct errors that had infiltrated the original Christianity.

Yet Joseph Smith taught complete error and added this to Mormonism

Mittens,
Hmm, this could be important, is there any reason somebody reading this should think you are right?

Mittens
God
Posts: 1165
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by Mittens »

The Scriptorial evidence should convince
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve

User avatar
Maksutov
God
Posts: 12480
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by Maksutov »

Mittens wrote:The Scriptorial evidence should convince

But it doesn't. What's next?
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov

Mittens
God
Posts: 1165
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by Mittens »

Maksutov wrote:
Mittens wrote:The Scriptorial evidence should convince

But it doesn't. What's next?

It does for me :lol:
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve

User avatar
huckelberry
God
Posts: 4427
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:29 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by huckelberry »

Mittens wrote: It does for me

I gather from this tread that Mormons interpret the scripture a bit differently than Mittens.

And so it is.

I have a question
God
Posts: 9522
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:01 am

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by I have a question »

“Traditional” simply means the ongoing belief or practice of a group. For instance, it’s traditional to have Turkey for Thanksgiving in the USA, but traditional to have Turkey on Christmas Day in the UK. Does that mean the USA Turkey is different than Traditional Turkey?

Traditional Christ can mean different things to different groups, but those differing groups can each claim their Christ is the Traditional one. In other words, your OP is meaningless. Now if you’d opened with “Mormon Traditional Christ is different to Protestant Traditional Christ” then perhaps you’d have the start of a discussion...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')

Mittens
God
Posts: 1165
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by Mittens »

I have a question wrote:“Traditional” simply means the ongoing belief or practice of a group. For instance, it’s traditional to have Turkey for Thanksgiving in the USA, but traditional to have Turkey on Christmas Day in the UK. Does that mean the USA Turkey is different than Traditional Turkey?

Traditional Christ can mean different things to different groups, but those differing groups can each claim their Christ is the Traditional one. In other words, your OP is meaningless. Now if you’d opened with “Mormon Traditional Christ is different to Protestant Traditional Christ” then perhaps you’d have the start of a discussion...


Traditional, Orthodox or mainline Christianity means what 100% of Christianity teaches. Not false heresy teachings represented by the Mormon Faith
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve

User avatar
Maksutov
God
Posts: 12480
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by Maksutov »

Mittens wrote:
I have a question wrote:“Traditional” simply means the ongoing belief or practice of a group. For instance, it’s traditional to have Turkey for Thanksgiving in the USA, but traditional to have Turkey on Christmas Day in the UK. Does that mean the USA Turkey is different than Traditional Turkey?

Traditional Christ can mean different things to different groups, but those differing groups can each claim their Christ is the Traditional one. In other words, your OP is meaningless. Now if you’d opened with “Mormon Traditional Christ is different to Protestant Traditional Christ” then perhaps you’d have the start of a discussion...


Traditional, Orthodox or mainline Christianity means what 100% of Christianity teaches. Not false heresy teachings represented by the Mormon Faith


So why are there Russian and Roman churches? Who's the heretic?
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov

Amore
God
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by Amore »

The Catholic church warped the idea of Christ for all. They pretty much voted on what they wanted and then would excommunicate or kill dissenters.

Common sense and intuition are needed to realize the lies from the truth. Human sacrifice: not of God. Scapegoating: anti-Christ.

Gnostics are considered the 1st Christians who considered Christ a Spirit. Then he became a spirit who appeared as a man, then a man, then a demiGod.

And it is likely the main story of Christ was borrowed from Krishna (hundreds of hears before) who also was immaculately conceived, parents went to pay taxes, babies were killed trying to kill him, hid from evil ruler who wanted to harm him, was considered demi-god and Savior, both did miracles & chose disciples to spread message, etc.

User avatar
moksha
God
Posts: 21843
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by moksha »

Maksutov wrote:Who's the heretic?

Those who refuse to acknowledge Coke as the one true cola.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

User avatar
Maksutov
God
Posts: 12480
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by Maksutov »

moksha wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Who's the heretic?

Those who refuse to acknowledge Coke as the one true cola.


Only if you hold the bottle in the right hand. No sinister soda sipping. :geek:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov

I have a question
God
Posts: 9522
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:01 am

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by I have a question »

Mittens wrote:
I have a question wrote:“Traditional” simply means the ongoing belief or practice of a group. For instance, it’s traditional to have Turkey for Thanksgiving in the USA, but traditional to have Turkey on Christmas Day in the UK. Does that mean the USA Turkey is different than Traditional Turkey?

Traditional Christ can mean different things to different groups, but those differing groups can each claim their Christ is the Traditional one. In other words, your OP is meaningless. Now if you’d opened with “Mormon Traditional Christ is different to Protestant Traditional Christ” then perhaps you’d have the start of a discussion...


Traditional, Orthodox or mainline Christianity means what 100% of Christianity teaches. Not false heresy teachings represented by the Mormon Faith

Wait...are we now talking Traditional, Orthodox or Mainline? Because those are 3 different things. And when you say “Christianity” which bit are you referring to, as it’s a very broad Church which includes all sorts of different faith traditions?

Is the blue colour of your text and increased size, of some significance that is currently escaping me? Or are you simply compensating for an inadequately sized argument?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')

User avatar
Maksutov
God
Posts: 12480
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by Maksutov »

I have a question wrote:
Mittens wrote:
Traditional, Orthodox or mainline Christianity means what 100% of Christianity teaches. Not false heresy teachings represented by the Mormon Faith

Wait...are we now talking Traditional, Orthodox or Mainline? Because those are 3 different things. And when you say “Christianity” which bit are you referring to, as it’s a very broad Church which includes all sorts of different faith traditions?

Is the blue colour of your text and increased size, of some significance that is currently escaping me? Or are you simply compensating for an inadequately sized argument?


You're dealing with somebody without nuance or granularity or historical context. All ideologies are monolithic and generic. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov

Mittens
God
Posts: 1165
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by Mittens »

Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve

User avatar
Maksutov
God
Posts: 12480
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by Maksutov »

Mittens wrote:https://i.imgur.com/a2YXcCD.jpg


So what was Jesus doing in the temple? Throwing out moneychangers. But he had also taught there. He was upset with the moneychangers because he respected the temple and thought the moneychangers didn't.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov

Mittens
God
Posts: 1165
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by Mittens »

Maksutov wrote:
Mittens wrote:https://i.imgur.com/a2YXcCD.jpg


So what was Jesus doing in the temple? Throwing out moneychangers. But he had also taught there. He was upset with the moneychangers because he respected the temple and thought the moneychangers didn't.


Jesus was in the Jewish Temple, no Christian temples existed in the time of Jesus or the early Church :lol:
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve

User avatar
Maksutov
God
Posts: 12480
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by Maksutov »

Temple is a temple, they tell me. I try to stay out of them but I have two!

Here's something I need your help with. What does this mean?

Image
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov

I have a question
God
Posts: 9522
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:01 am

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by I have a question »

Mittens wrote: Jesus was in the Jewish Temple, no Christian temples existed in the time of Jesus or the early Church :lol:

So the traditional Christ was Jewish?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')

Post Reply