Buried Nephite City and Book of Mormon Elephants

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

Re: Buried Nephite City and Book of Mormon Elephants

Post by _tapirrider »

bomgeography wrote:There is a narrative in the exmormon and even the Mormon community there is no genetic link from America to the middle Eas you all know now that that narrative is 100%. It does not matter how much denial you have facts are facts.

Facts are facts. There is no genetic link during Biblical or Book of Mormon timelines. You are dishonest to distort the timeline to fit your model.
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

bomgeography wrote:There is a narrative in the exmormon and even the Mormon community there is no genetic link from America to the middle Eas you all know now that that narrative is 100%. It does not matter how much denial you have facts are facts.

An analogy is the following:

Some book purports that I (living in California) am a sibling of a group of brothers who happen to live on the east coast. Our DNA is indeed more closely related than it is to any other people on the face of the earth. On closer examination however it is found that we are not siblings as purported to be the case in the book. We have descended from the same great grand parents and are really only 2nd cousins. Furthermore the book can't be true because it states the earth and everyone on it have originated only one generation ago. Two generations existence disproves the claims of the book.
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

spotlight wrote:

An analogy is the following:

Some book purports that I (living in California) am a sibling of a group of brothers who happen to live on the east coast. Our DNA is indeed more closely related than it is to any other people on the face of the earth. On closer examination however it is found that we are not siblings as purported to be the case in the book. We have descended from the same great grand parents and are really only 2nd cousins. Furthermore the book can't be true because it states the earth and everyone on it have originated only one generation ago. Two generations existence disproves the claims of the book.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying the book in your analogy disproves itself long before the imaginary details come into play, rendering a discussion of their existence moot?

Good point. If I recall correctly, Prof. Jenkins kept coming back to that as his lynchpin in last summer's debate with Prof. Hamblin.
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

Lemmie wrote:If I understand you correctly, you are saying the book in your analogy disproves itself long before the imaginary details come into play, rendering a discussion of their existence moot?

Good point. If I recall correctly, Prof. Jenkins kept coming back to that as his lynchpin in last summer's debate with Prof. Hamblin.

Yes, just hoping an additional explanation might help get the concept across to anyone who's lurking. When I was a TBM my mind literally fought against itself. It would refuse to understand/comprehend anything that disproved my beliefs. It got to the point that I experienced severe migraines, etc. Finally it dawned on me that this situation wasn't healthy or In other words "good" and as I recalled the statement from the Book of Mormon that anything that is not good is not from God the walls came tumbling down. The religion was a fraud. It was self-contradictory. After that it became increasingly easy to see all of the problems with its truth claims.
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee