Which creation story do you believe in QUAD

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Which creation story do you believe in QUAD

Post by _Maksutov »

Mittens wrote:Book of Moses 3:

8 And I, the Lord God, planted a garden eastward in Eden, and there I put the man whom I had formed.

9 And out of the ground made I, the Lord God, to grow every tree, naturally, that is pleasant to the sight of man; and man could behold it. And it became also a living soul. For it was spiritual in the day that I created it; for it remaineth in the sphere in which I, God, created it, yea, even all things which I prepared for the use of man; and man saw that it was good for food. And I, the Lord God, planted the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and also the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

10 And I, the Lord God, caused a river to go out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads.

11 And I, the Lord God, called the name of the first Pison, and it compasseth the whole land of Havilah, where I, the Lord God, created much gold;

12 And the gold of that land was good, and there was bdellium and the onyx stone.

13 And the name of the second river was called Gihon; the same that compasseth the whole land of Ethiopia.

14 And the name of the third river was Hiddekel; that which goeth toward the east of Assyria. And the fourth river was the Euphrates.

15 And I, the Lord God, took the man, and put him into the Garden of Eden, to dress it, and to keep it.

The Book of Moses says it was in the Middle East

D&C 107:53

53 Three years previous to the death of Adam, he called Seth, Enos, Cainan, Mahalaleel, Jared, Enoch, and Methuselah, who were all high priests, with the residue of his posterity who were righteous, into the valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman, and there bestowed upon them his last blessing.

Section 116

1 Spring Hill is named by the Lord Adam-ondi-Ahman, because, said he, it is the place where Adam shall come to visit his people, or the Ancient of Days shall sit, as spoken of by Daniel the prophet.

Section 117

8 Is there not room enough on the mountains of Adam-ondi-Ahman, and on the plains of Olaha Shinehah, or the land where Adam dwelt, that you should covet that which is but the drop, and neglect the more weighty matters?

The Doctrine and Covenants tells us Missouri

The plains of Olaha Shinehah, or the place where Adam dwelt, must be a part of, or in the vicinity of Adam-ondi-Ahman. This name Olaha Shinehah, may be, and in all probability is, from the language of Adam. We may without great controversy believe that this is the name which Adam gave to this place, at least we may venture this as a probable guess. Shinehah, according to the Book of Abraham, is the name given to the sun. (Abraham 3:13.) It is the name applied to Kirtland when the Lord desired in a revelation to hide its identity. (D&C 82:1) Elder Janne M. Sjodahl commenting on the name, Olaha Shinehah, has said: “Shinehah means sun, and Olaha is possibly, a variant of the word Olea, which is ‘the moon.’ (Abraham 3:13.) If so the plains of Olaha Shinehah would be the Plains of the Moon and the Sun, so called, perhaps because of astronomical observations there made.” We learn from the writings of Moses that the Lord revealed to the ancients great knowledge concerning the stars, and Abraham by revelations and through the Urim and Thummim received wonderful information concerning the heavens and the governing planets, or stars. It was also revealed by the Prophet Joseph Smith that Methuselah was acquainted with the stars as were others of the ante diluvian prophets including Adam. So it may be reasonable that here in this valley important information was made known anciently in relation to the stars of our universe.

http://askgramps.org/olaha-shinehah/

Sounds quite pagan and occultism

You need to get out more. Study the many variants of Judaism and Christianity over the last 3,000 years. "Pagan" and "occult" are broad terms that don't begin to analyze what they refer to, just a quick categorization for purposes of dismissal.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Post by _Mittens »

just me wrote:Mittens, which of the creation stories in Genesis do you believe?

The Bible is accurate so I believe every story in The Bible . Do you disagree with one ? :lol:

The Book of Moses along with the Bible places the Garden in The Middle East

The Pishon (Hebrew: פִּישׁוֹן‎‎ Pîšōn) is one of four rivers (along with Hiddekel (Tigris), Phrath (Euphrates) and Gihon) mentioned in the Biblical Book of Genesis. In that passage, these rivers are described as arising within the Garden of Eden

For the village in Iran, see Havilah, Iran. Havilah (Hebrew: חֲוִילָה‎‎ Ḥăwîlāh, "Circular"[1]) also spelled Evilas or Evilath, refers to both a land and people in several books of the Bible.
hiddekel
.called by the Accadians id Idikla; i.e., "the river of Idikla", the third of the four rivers of Paradise (Gen. 2:14). Gesenius interprets the word as meaning "the rapid Tigris." The Tigris rises in the mountains of Armenia, 15 miles south of the source of the Euphrates, which, after pursuing a south-east course, it joins at Kurnah, about 50 miles above Bassorah. Its whole length is about 1,150 miles.
Gihon is the name of the second river mentioned in the second chapter of the biblical Book of Genesis. The Gihon is mentioned as one of four rivers (along with the Tigris, Euphrates, and Pishon) issuing out of the Garden of Eden that branched from a single river within the garden. The name (Hebrew Giħôn גיחון) may be interpreted as "bursting forth, gushing".
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Mittens wrote:
just me wrote:Mittens, which of the creation stories in Genesis do you believe?

The Bible is accurate so I believe every story in The Bible . Do you disagree with one ? :lol:

The Book of Moses along with the Bible places the Garden in The Middle East

The Pishon (Hebrew: פִּישׁוֹן‎‎ Pîšōn) is one of four rivers (along with Hiddekel (Tigris), Phrath (Euphrates) and Gihon) mentioned in the Biblical Book of Genesis. In that passage, these rivers are described as arising within the Garden of Eden

For the village in Iran, see Havilah, Iran. Havilah (Hebrew: חֲוִילָה‎‎ Ḥăwîlāh, "Circular"[1]) also spelled Evilas or Evilath, refers to both a land and people in several books of the Bible.
hiddekel
.called by the Accadians id Idikla; i.e., "the river of Idikla", the third of the four rivers of Paradise (Gen. 2:14). Gesenius interprets the word as meaning "the rapid Tigris." The Tigris rises in the mountains of Armenia, 15 miles south of the source of the Euphrates, which, after pursuing a south-east course, it joins at Kurnah, about 50 miles above Bassorah. Its whole length is about 1,150 miles.
Gihon is the name of the second river mentioned in the second chapter of the biblical Book of Genesis. The Gihon is mentioned as one of four rivers (along with the Tigris, Euphrates, and Pishon) issuing out of the Garden of Eden that branched from a single river within the garden. The name (Hebrew Giħôn גיחון) may be interpreted as "bursting forth, gushing".

The Bible is demonstrably inaccurate. Please provide a reference for a bit of evidence that supports the Exodus.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Post by _Mittens »

Plenty of evidence, but if there wasn't then it would be in the same position as every book in The Book of Mormon :lol:
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Plenty.....

Ok now provide some.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Mittens wrote:Plenty of evidence, but if there wasn't then it would be in the same position as every book in The Book of Mormon :lol:

You're catching on. The Bible *and* the Book of Mormon were both written by dishonest people. They pretended to witness things that they didn't and that they were people who they weren't. Of course, in the age of "Religious Studies" we reject the modern notions of fiction vs reality and discuss that maybe the distinctions were a bit more "fluid" back then.

But the bottom line is that there was no Ark of Noah, no Tower of Babel, no Jaredite submarines or Nephite swords. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov