Theodicy

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Re: Theodicy

Post by _spotlight »

LittleNipper wrote:But you fail to realize ---living under the 21st Century notion that animals are equal to humans. This is clearly the result of evolutionary thinking (everything is biologically an ancestor in some way or another). The Biblical perspective is that animals were created for man and to tend the environment. They are as lovely as flowers and as ugly as weeds, but they all had an original created purpose apart from man to fulfill various ecological needs. Since the fall the meerkat and the snake are at odds in keeping their population in check and man worships creatures/creation rather than the Creator.

LittleNipper, you entirely missed the point of the post. And no I don't equate humans and animals because of evolution but I am beginning to see us as equals in intelligence after being increasingly exposed to "religious thinkers."
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

spotlight wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:But you fail to realize ---living under the 21st Century notion that animals are equal to humans. This is clearly the result of evolutionary thinking (everything is biologically an ancestor in some way or another). The Biblical perspective is that animals were created for man and to tend the environment. They are as lovely as flowers and as ugly as weeds, but they all had an original created purpose apart from man to fulfill various ecological needs. Since the fall the meerkat and the snake are at odds in keeping their population in check and man worships creatures/creation rather than the Creator.

LittleNipper, you entirely missed the point of the post. And no I don't equate humans and animals because of evolution but I am beginning to see us as equals in intelligence after being increasingly exposed to "religious thinkers."

I believe the point of your post was to undermine that of mine. Animals are not responsible for the existence of sin. Adam was the irresponsible culprit who had the audacity to blame God for his own actions! The entire Universe suffers as a result of Adam's Fall ---- including meerkats and snakes.
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

LittleNipper wrote:I believe the point of your post was to undermine that of mine. Animals are not responsible for the existence of sin. Adam was the irresponsible culprit who had the audacity to blame God for his own actions! The entire Universe suffers as a result of Adam's Fall ---- including meerkats and snakes.

The only ones "suffering" are others like yourself. :rolleyes:
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

spotlight wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:I believe the point of your post was to undermine that of mine. Animals are not responsible for the existence of sin. Adam was the irresponsible culprit who had the audacity to blame God for his own actions! The entire Universe suffers as a result of Adam's Fall ---- including meerkats and snakes.

The only ones "suffering" are others like yourself. :rolleyes:

You certainly are not here for concern of my health. :wink:
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

spotlight wrote:The only ones "suffering" are others like yourself. :rolleyes:

LittleNipple wrote:You certainly are not here for concern of my health. :wink:

That would not fit the story line you've bought into.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

spotlight wrote:
spotlight wrote:The only ones "suffering" are others like yourself. :rolleyes:

LittleNipple wrote:You certainly are not here for concern of my health. :wink:

That would not fit the story line you've bought into.

Salvation is a free gift and not one I needed to buy into.
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

LittleNipple wrote:Salvation is a free gift and not one I needed to buy into.

Apologist tactic: Always ignore the main point and focus on a side distraction. That way it appears that you have a significant response even when you lack the same.

You've swallowed a fable hook line and sinker simply because you were born into a particular culture. "Bought into" is merely a figure of speech but you chose to focus on that in a literal sense and talk about salvation mentioning how it is free which has nothing to do with my comment and doesn't address it. This is a common tactic from those who have nothing with which to back up their claims. The idea that it is free is false as it eats up much of one's time and time is money as they say. Bible verse by verse comes to mind here.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

spotlight wrote:
LittleNipple wrote:Salvation is a free gift and not one I needed to buy into.

Apologist tactic: Always ignore the main point and focus on a side distraction. That way it appears that you have a significant response even when you lack the same.

You've swallowed a fable hook line and sinker simply because you were born into a particular culture. "Bought into" is merely a figure of speech but you chose to focus on that in a literal sense and talk about salvation mentioning how it is free which has nothing to do with my comment and doesn't address it. This is a common tactic from those who have nothing with which to back up their claims. The idea that it is free is false as it eats up much of one's time and time is money as they say. Bible verse by verse comes to mind here.

Getting a tattoo eats up a lot of time, also. They also go out of style ---- while the Bible remains the same.... One can learn lessons from the Bible and apply them to one's future, but no one is twisting your arm to either read the Bible along with me or hang around here. Thought I do enjoy your banter --- though seemingly a trial for you. :lol:
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

LittleNipper wrote:Getting a tattoo eats up a lot of time, also. They also go out of style ---- while the Bible remains the same.... One can learn lessons from the Bible and apply them to one's future, but no one is twisting your arm to either read the Bible along with me or hang around here. Thought I do enjoy your banter --- though seemingly a trial for you. :lol:

There's nothing quite like remaining the same as a boost to progress.
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

amore wrote:I am NOT my body. "I AM THAT I AM."
Really, if you took away my arms, my legs, my entire body - I am that consciousness that exists.

I understand this to be your point of view. My question was how such can be explained. People who believe in a spirit take mental experience as proof of something more than the material. What we see, for instance the color red, it is argued is a mental experience only and as such does not exist outside in the real world but only within the brain. Continuing we could say that is also true of the experience or qualia of all of the senses.

So if the spirit can experience all of these sensations directly what need is there for material sensors and material transmission lines (the nerves) from these sensors to a material brain? How can a person ever be blind? Why can't his spirit see? How can some arrangement of this material world block the vision that is spiritual in nature? How can the spiritual if it is subject to the material be anything other than material itself? Or In other words the material apparently can control the spiritual. Should it not be the other way around?