Goodness in many revealed

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Amore
God
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am

Goodness in many revealed

Post by Amore »

Each of us are children of God, no matter what religion, ethnicity, etc.

Today is the anniversary of 9-11 & in honor of many who showed goodness and even heroism, this is one example...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ywtWOE1vTtI

Please share any examples or stories of the goodness of people revealed... And let's enjoy some good news.

User avatar
Quasimodo
Bell Ringer
Posts: 11784
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Quasimodo »

I've been inspired lately by how many States have recognized and made legal same sex marriages. It's wonderful that so many legislatures and courts have seen fit to grant equal rights to all.

Oh, wait. That might not have been the response you were hoping for (and no, I'm not gay).
Last edited by Quasimodo on Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.

User avatar
just me
God
Posts: 9070
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by just me »

Affordable healthcare for all Americans makes me happy! Better access to birth control for the women of our country makes glitter come out my ears.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~

User avatar
Quasimodo
Bell Ringer
Posts: 11784
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Quasimodo »

just me wrote:Affordable healthcare for all Americans makes me happy! Better access to birth control for the women of our country makes glitter come out my ears.


I wonder if Z could add ear glitter to your avatar. :biggrin:
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.

Amore
God
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Amore »

Quasimodo,
I think you posted in the wrong thread, but right for you. :wink:

Justme,
It's good at least you're happy...
"Whatever turns your crank."

Here's a clip about putting kindness above winning, in a basketball game.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hOqRBmYh-YQ

User avatar
Quasimodo
Bell Ringer
Posts: 11784
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Quasimodo »

Amore wrote:Quasimodo,
I think you posted in the wrong thread, but right for you. :wink:


No, I'm pretty sure I posted correctly. I'm old, but not that old, yet. I was just pointing out that you were trying to express good will to all except the people you are prejudiced against.

It's probably one of my faults, but I just can't warm up to people that are bigoted.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.

Amore
God
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Amore »

Q,
So... You're just bigoted to anyone who presents inconvenient truths.
Got it.

Back to the topic of this thread...

Simple acts of kindness...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu9UtVaWYaI

User avatar
Quasimodo
Bell Ringer
Posts: 11784
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Quasimodo »

Amore wrote:Q,
So... You're just bigoted to anyone who presents inconvenient truths.
Got it.

Back to the topic of this thread...

Simple acts of kindness...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu9UtVaWYaI


Guilty! I have a prejudice against anyone who is bigoted. You don't present inconvenient truths. Just horse biscuits that you hope will pass for truths. Your total lack of verifiable documentation proves this.

The really annoying thing is that you try to present yourself as a gentle soul that is just looking out for the well being of us all. I would be happier with you if you just admitted your bigotry.

Oh, by the way, the other thing I have a prejudice against is hypocrisy.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.

User avatar
Bazooka
God
Posts: 10719
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Bazooka »

Amore wrote:Each of us are children of God, no matter what religion, ethnicity, etc.


CFR
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)

User avatar
Bazooka
God
Posts: 10719
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Bazooka »

Quasimodo wrote:I'm old, but not that old, yet.


CFR
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)

Amore
God
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Amore »

Bazooka wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:I'm old, but not that old, yet.


CFR

:lol:


Back to topic again... (Adhd...cfr. ;) )
This story of Nick Vujicic and his wife gives me goose bumps - amazing!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s3QezBvN1BE

User avatar
subgenius
God
Posts: 12984
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:50 am

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by subgenius »

Quasimodo wrote:
Guilty! I have a prejudice against anyone who is bigoted. ...(snip)...

ahh the old reliable "i'm rubber you're glue" rebuttal....nice to see you stepping up your game Quasi.

Image
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

User avatar
Res Ipsa
God
Posts: 10095
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Res Ipsa »

On topic, I offer up the story of Alan Turing, a mathematician who Winston Churchill credited with the saving of thousands of lives during World War II. Thankfully for the lives he saved, he never got the memo that homosexuals contribute nothing to society. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

Amore
God
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Amore »

Brad,
I think I owe you an apology... In the heated debate I could've phrases things better... Reminding all those with adhd ;) of the topic in the other hand... Contribution in regards to marital justification.

I've noticed the projection of fear and closed mindedness in calling me names like homophobe or bigot...just for pointing out unpleasant truths/medical facts and statistics.
I have family & friends with homosexual preferences and I don't fear them. I stood up for a gay friend getting teased, & even got hit twice getting in between bullies and underdogs... & i'm a puny girl!

A coworker has homosexual preferences, and most people avoid her because she's a bit socially awkward, but I reached out to her - gave her rides home and listened to her tell me of her troubles. I've reached out to others with homosexual preferences when other didn't. Do you call that FEAR or bigotry?

Once, I was thinking about homosexuality - wondering about the 2 different arguments for and against same-sex marriage etc... and wondering why the negative aspects of homosexuality were so often ignored. And I had a spiritual experience - a picture of 2 friends that both died of AIDS fell in front of me. It was very strange, but I got this sense that they wanted me to let people know of the negative consequences of homosexual practices. Even thinking about it now gives me the chills. So, I have researched and shared what I've learned, out of love, not fear.


Back to this thread's topic...

Great idea and helps on both sides...
https://m.Facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1021022489
Last edited by Amore on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
just me
God
Posts: 9070
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by just me »

Lady Gaga is such a revelation of human kindness. She has done more humanitarian work than most people. She has been able to use her celebrity to raise awareness of issues LGBT people face. She has worked with the Trevor Project and started her own Born This Way Foundation. She has raised money for AIDS/HIV and over a dozen other causes.

What an inspiration and icon of goodness.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~

Amore
God
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Amore »

Image
Although I disagree with her stand on birth control, I am awed at the compassion Mother Teresa showed. When asked how she could work with people who were so filthy, smelly & sick (especially with leprosy) she explained how she imagined they were Christ and it came naturally.

Image
Martin Luther King Jr. was an example of goodness, and even a prophet - who saw a vision of a better way and lead people to it - peacefully and without force.

User avatar
Res Ipsa
God
Posts: 10095
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Res Ipsa »

Amore wrote:Brad,
I think I owe you an apology... In the heated debate I could've phrases things better... Reminding all those with adhd ;) of the topic in the other hand... Contribution in regards to marital justification.

I've noticed the projection of fear and closed mindedness in calling me names like homophobe or bigot...just for pointing out unpleasant truths/medical facts and statistics.
I have family & friends with homosexual preferences and I don't fear them. I stood up for a gay friend getting teased, & even got hit twice getting in between bullies and underdogs... & i'm a puny girl!

A coworker has homosexual preferences, and most people avoid her because she's a bit socially awkward, but I reached out to her - gave her rides home and listened to her tell me of her troubles. I've reached out to others with homosexual preferences when other didn't. Do you call that FEAR or bigotry?

Once, I was thinking about homosexuality - wondering about the 2 different arguments for and against same-sex marriage etc... and wondering why the negative aspects of homosexuality were so often ignored. And I had a spiritual experience - a picture of 2 friends that both died of AIDS fell in front of me. It was very strange, but I got this sense that they wanted me to let people know of the negative consequences of homosexual practices. Even thinking about it now gives me the chills. So, I have researched and shared what I've learned, out of love, not fear.


Back to this thread's topic...

Great idea and helps on both sides...
https://m.Facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1021022489


I don't think you owe me an apology, but I very much appreciate the olive branch. I'd like to continue the conversation you started here in a new thread. Would it be okay with you if I copied and pasted your post above into a new thread?

Thanks.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

Amore
God
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Amore »

Upon becoming a mother, I had a major paradigm change - I saw each person in a new way - like they could've been my child - that they were someone's child - as loveable as my sweet little one. I felt a deeper love - a striving for what's best - for everyone. Similar to how they say in the temple, Eve, is a symbolic representation of all women - mothers of ALL living.

So many people have treated my kids as if they were their own - and it really warms my heart! Also, when I was a "troubled teen" - there were some people who saw through my BS and believed in the goodness in me, as if I were their daughter, which inspired me to be better. I just listened to this song and thought of parents who have realized each person was a little one, so inherently lovable as their own... And projected the love they had for their own child on all who are or were children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0NyTZPH5q4

User avatar
Bazooka
God
Posts: 10719
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Bazooka »

Amore wrote:Image
Martin Luther King Jr. was an example of goodness, and even a prophet - who saw a vision of a better way and lead people to it - peacefully and without force.


Martin Luther King was also a notoriously rampant philanderer.
In his 1986 book Bearing the Cross, David Garrow wrote about a number of extramarital affairs, including one woman King saw almost daily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Lut ... f_adultery
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)

User avatar
subgenius
God
Posts: 12984
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:50 am

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by subgenius »

Bazooka wrote:Martin Luther King was also a notoriously rampant philanderer.
In his 1986 book Bearing the Cross, David Garrow wrote about a number of extramarital affairs, including one woman King saw almost daily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Lut ... f_adultery

In your opinion were you hoping to reveal "goodness" or "badness" about MLKj here?...perhaps your response will be equally revealing of yourself?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

Amore
God
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by Amore »

subgenius wrote:
Bazooka wrote:Martin Luther King was also a notoriously rampant philanderer...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Lut ... f_adultery

In your opinion were you hoping to reveal "goodness" or "badness" about MLKj here?...perhaps your response will be equally revealing of yourself?

There's a book I was reading about "pain bodies" - just a fancy way of saying addiction to bad - to bad news, to bad drama - etc.
When I watch too much bad news, or interact with people who are really negative, it taints my image of people, which reminds me of a song... (Jack Johnson - Good People)
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you ... EBD1D848E0

Still, people are not 100% good or 100% bad... there is good in all and imperfection as well, and as suggested, let's focus on the good - that which inspires us to believe in the goodness of ourselves and others.

Here's another example of goodness revealed... reminds me of my good Kenyan friend who's making a positive difference in her own way. whole village collected money to send Kakenya to school. She promsed to return and invest back... and she (Dr. Kakenya) did...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xssurTWr5e4

Post Reply