maklelan running for UT Senate seat?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: maklelan running for Utah Senate seat?

Post by _Kishkumen »

I would vote for him, if he were running to be my state senator. Very smart guy and, yes, a Democrat. There are, in fact, a number of good LDS scholars who are Democrats. I am Facebook friends with some of them. I am not Facebook friends with Dan, but, then, I was pretty unkind to him when he posted here as an apologist. In retrospect, I regret being so aggressive, but he was pretty feisty. Not that this excuses some of my excesses in our interactions.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I have a question wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:34 am
Shulem wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:38 am
Sure. I vote a straight Democratic ticket.
Even for a bloke who lines up squarely behind the Church on matters of sexuality?
Yep. I’d rather deal with a bad Democrat rather than a good Republican.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:37 pm
In retrospect, I regret being so aggressive, but he was pretty feisty. Not that this excuses some of my excesses in our interactions.
Perhaps with hindsight and age, Dan's interactions would also be mellower. I doubt his feistiness was ever at a full-frontal Pahoran/Kiwi level.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Temp. Admin.
_Emeritus

Post by _Temp. Admin. »

moksha wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:59 pm
I doubt his feistiness was ever at a full-frontal Pahoran/Kiwi level.
The only one who's ever reached a Pahoran/Kiwi level is the Lounatic. As Yoda said, "Always two there are."
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

EDUCATION
Each student should receive the best education possible—whether they attend public, private, charter, or home schools. Every student and teacher should have the necessary resources to feel supported and to learn and to teach to the best of their abilities. As a father of three girls, I want my children—and yours—to have the best teachers in the field. I am committed to securing much-needed funding for K-12 schools.

HEALTHCARE
Caring for the sick and the afflicted is fundamental to fostering a moral society, and I am committed to developing and promoting a system that provides healthcare that is accessible and affordable for all Utahns. Clean air will be one of my highest priorities in this regard. I am additionally committed to legislation that will address our state’s drug crises, and particularly our opioid epidemic, through informed, evidence-based policies that address the symptoms of the problems as well as their systemic causes.

FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY
I strongly believe that government leaders should spend your tax dollars more responsibly. Some taxes are paid by those whose finances are tight and who struggle to put food on their tables. I oppose any tax that hurts the elderly, the poor, and those with special needs. As your senator, I will be transparent, ethical, and accountable, and will put your needs and concerns first. I will listen to and represent you—not just a few special interest groups. The voices of powerful lobbyists and well-connected politicians must not overpower the voices of our residents.

GROWTH & INFRASTRUCTURE
To maintain our quality of life and to attract great businesses in this area, I will work hard to obtain critical funding for roads in our area. We must plan wisely so that traffic and water infrastructure meets the needs of our growing communities. The completion of Mountain View Corridor will be one of my highest priorities.

Seems reasonable. If I were in his district I would support that agenda. Plus, I would drink a beer with him, even if he only had the root kind. His smile is ok, haven't seen the other person's, though. ;)
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:04 pm
Seems reasonable. If I were in his district I would support that agenda.
His positions sound great. I would vote for him. He is smart and obviously leads with his values. He is running against a Republican with a fictitious sounding name: Lincoln Fillmore.

I want to get my mail-in ballot soon.

https://www.Facebook.com/votedanmcclellan/
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace