Rasband grooms young people to fall foul of affinity fraud...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
I have a question
God

Rasband grooms young people to fall foul of affinity fraud...

Post by I have a question »

Echoing the words of his fellow Apostle Elder Neil L. Andersen, Elder Rasband added, “Will we understand everything? Of course not. We will need to put some issues on the shelf to be understood at a later time. …

“In due time, Heavenly Father and the promptings of the Holy Ghost will give you answers to your questions, along with your loving friends, family members and leaders.”
https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-a ... ion-192597

This rhetoric about doubting your doubts and putting your questions on a shelf is exceptionally dangerous life advice.

If his daughter had doubts about a prospective husbands intentions, should she doubt this doubts, put those questions on the shelf? Or would Rasband be counselling her to do her research properly and thoroughly? What about if a Stake President has an investment scheme that you have some doubts about? Doubt those doubts and hand over your money? Put your questions about it on a shelf? Or check into thoroughly and get independent advice?

These are young impressionable people who deserve safer advice and counsel.

Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Re: Rasband grooms young people to fall foul of affinity fraud...

Post by Holy Ghost »

Do TBM parents not answer their children's questions, putting them off until "in due time"?
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

D&C 77 addendum:

Q: What are we to understand from the $100 Billion plus fund that the one true church hid from its members?

A: It is not meet for you to understand the finances at this time. Remember the sacrifice of the pioneers and your parents for this work and continue along that path that leads to glory, rejoicing and generously paying tithes and offerings to the Lord. The day of exaltation will be beyond description but will only occur after great sacrifice. Doubt your doubts.

Q: Is the church investing its funds in worthwhile enterprises?

A: Listen here, ya see, dis is da muscle end of da ghost committee, ya hear. Youz better shut ur yaps if yuz know whats good fur youz. Or thee shall beest sleeping with the fishes.

A: Pardon Carmine. He gets a little worked up at times. Now, wherefore thou art chosen to a holy calling and shall have sheaves placed upon you if thou art faithful. Do not trouble thyself any longer with such deep questions. Doubting mine anointed leads one on forbidden paths. Continue on in the faith for I am alpha and omega. Amen.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

I thought the first question and Rasband's answer were even more bizarre.

In summary:

Q: What is your advice if I believe the brethren are teaching principles or policies that violate my personal sense of right and wrong?

A: Listen to and study the teachings of the living prophet. That is the best way to follow the living prophet.

Truly lame non-answer to the most pressing question among church young adults.

I have a question
God

Post by I have a question »

These members doubted their doubts, put their questions on the shelf...and lost all their money.
A St. George man who took advantage of a couple in his Latter-day Saint congregation in a financial scam is headed to federal prison.

Gregory Moats Sampson, 46, will spend two years behind bars after pleading guilty to wire fraud and money laundering.

U.S. District Judge David Nuffer enhanced the sentence because the scheme put substantial financial hardship on the couple. The judge also ordered Sampson to pay $250,000 in restitution and to serve three years probation after his prison sentence.

Sampson met the couple, identified in court documents as J.S. and K.S., in 2012 when he was their real estate agent. They had $250,000 to invest after selling a home in Australia. Sampson told them he had invested funds for others in the past and could help them, according to court documents.

J.S. and K.S. were not sophisticated investors and believed they could trust Sampson based on the relationship they had with them, prosecutors said. He told them they could earn $1 million in eight to 10 years and that they would receive stock in a company. He also told them that because they were friends, he would not charge them for their investment.

Instead of investing the money, Sampson spent it all within a month of receiving it, including $98,000 to pay off a personal loan, $82,000 to a company his brother owned, and $20,000 to a company that had nothing to do with the investment, according to court documents.

When the couple asked for a portfolio of their investment, Sampson did not provide one but regularly told them it was performing well.
https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/9/16/ ... ral-prison