Philo's oxbow

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Philo's oxbow

Post by huckelberry »

I watched a backyard professor discussion about Alan Watts with some enjoyment. The proposal to avoid commitment to a particular religion to prevent the barriers to new learning that dogma creates registered as an important proposal. I might have heard it as be sure you do not let your religion become a barrier to learning. Or perhaps it would be do not let religion become a mental box keeping out the rest of the universe of experience.

I was being distracted a bit by the striking oxbow in the background stream. I see a shallow canyon cutting into a broad dry level basalt plain. Clearly it meandered around ontop of the flat plane creating loops then started to cut. Connecting to the Snake I suppose? The cycle of burn and regrow can be lovely all the way through the cycle. A landscape artist in my area went from talented to something deeper when he started to explore fire in the landscape.

This could discuss Philo location somewhere south central Idaho. It could discuss if relgions can actually relate to each other or productively relate to nonreligion. Or perhaps whether there are trout.

huckelberry
God

Re: Philo's oxbow

Post by huckelberry »

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Well thank you for watching, and yes, there are trout! Here though, they are not the rainbow, but the very tasty Brook "Bookie" trout.....
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

https://www.pbs.org/video/oregon-art-be ... oplay=true

Philo's YouTube I was referring to( he has now posted for a thread ) had some focus on the idea that it is important that people come from the land and remain in the land. Humans are not visitors from afar. This is an idea extensively explored by Mr Lavadour. The link about includes a bit of thought about that.

huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Shades or other moderator,
I thought this thread was related to Mormon discussion by way of considering what disadvantage or advantage could attend to the degree that people are understood as visitors to this planet in Mormonism. This subject is also related to the question of how to relate a religion, a limited set of doctrines, to the larger experience of the world.

So please pardon if I digress about streams and trout.

Philo, In Washington state the authorities have grown a bit negative about those imported Brook trout. They have hight catch limits with the hope people will catch them all so native trout can maintain. I find several comic aspects of this policy. As far as I have been able to determine the brookies know how to make babies better than the other trout. East of the Cascades rainbows have been planted for many years. They seem to have grown stupid about the process of reproduction. A stream long planted with rainbows generally has few small fish. Actually the rainbow is not native in my area anyway. The native is redband , a darker and more colorful fish. They are found back up in small streams or wilderness type areas. They seem to be sensible fish who know how to make babies still.

Can I ask about the stream in your piece? I cannot fit it physically except southwest Idaho, flowing out of Nevada border to the Snake. I have not explored there having a hard time imaging much water flowing out of that arid area. Owahee I gather has water. It drains a fairly large area. I do not think that is the stream you were viewing. I think its canyon is larger.