Time to investigate "ghost writng"!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
kairos
God

Time to investigate "ghost writng"!

Post by kairos »

For decades I have believed that conference talks, in particular, are ghost written partially or totally in some cases.

I told my TBM my wife my concerns and she basically agrees saying she thinks that an apostle comes up with an idea or subject ,then scratches out whatever he can;then turns it over to the speech writer for completion/rework/fact check etc. Then at conference the apostle gives the talk as his own and in that GA drone of a tone.

Any ex's here who may have been a ghost writer? You probably had to sign a lifetime NDA to protect the apostle and her own church membership.

Can anyone help on this to relieve my anxiety ?

thanx
k

moksha
God

Re: Time to investigate "ghost writng"!

Post by moksha »

I'm wondering if members of the 16th Century Translation Committee may have helped Elder Boyd K. Packer flesh out his "Little Factories" idea.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

I have a question
God

Post by I have a question »

IIRC there was a poster on here (runtu?) who had worked at the CAB in the past and during that time was involved in a group that wrote an Apostles conference talk.

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I know they have to submit their talks to a correlation type of committee and get approval. I'm sure sometimes the committee makes suggestions and changes are made. So, I can see where others are employed in the initial writing of the thing.

Moksha brings up an interesting point about the original ghost committee perhaps helping Boyd K. Packer and his famous little factories speech. Ye olde ghost committee probably did help in the writting, at least according to my personal paradigm (hat tip to Kuhn). Archaism and Packer are quite synonymous and his attitudes pre-dated the puritans by a few years.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

malkie
God

Post by malkie »

I have a question wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:55 am
IIRC there was a poster on here (runtu?) who had worked at the CAB in the past and during that time was involved in a group that wrote an Apostles conference talk.
IIRC, runtu wrote curriculum material. He may have written talks too, but I don't remember. I'll ping him and ask, and (if he agrees) will report back.

Even if he didn't write talks, he likely knows if 'ghost writing' was a thing - and if the writers had to write in EmodE :lol:
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."

malkie
God

Post by malkie »

malkie wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:42 am
I have a question wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:55 am
IIRC, runtu wrote curriculum material. He may have written talks too, but I don't remember. I'll ping him and ask, and (if he agrees) will report back.

Even if he didn't write talks, he likely knows if 'ghost writing' was a thing - and if the writers had to write in EmodE :lol:
Straight from the man himself:
runtu wrote:Nope, never wrote a talk. Just proofread and source checked. AFAIK, the GAs all write their own talks.
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."

Fifth Columnist
High Priest

Post by Fifth Columnist »

A relative told me that ET Benson's famous Book of Mormon talk in the 80s was ghost written by Reid Bankhead (BYU religion professor). I don't recall his basis for believing that.

Edit: I found a post in which Steve Benson recounts how Bankhead helped ETB draft a different conference talk that was pulled at the last minute for being too divisive. https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.ph ... 524,974357

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Fifth Columnist wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:32 pm
I found a post in which Steve Benson recounts how Bankhead helped ETB draft a different conference talk that was pulled at the last minute for being too divisive. https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.ph ... 524,974357
Straight from the Wikipedia:
In 1968, the John Birch Society made an effort to nominate Benson as a presidential candidate with segregationist Senator Strom Thurmond as Vice President, for which Benson sought and obtained approval from LDS Church president David O. McKay. Several months later, Benson flew to Alabama to meet with segregationist Alabama Governor George Wallace, who asked Benson to become his Vice Presidential running mate for the presidency. This time President McKay refused Benson's request, even after Wallace himself wrote to McKay.
Talk about ghostwriters conjuring up repeats in history...
In August 1989, Benson received the Presidential Citizens Medal from U.S. President George H. W. Bush.
Year later, Narcissist J. Trump presented a similar medal to Rush Limbaugh in a ghostwritten regurgitation.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

I met Richard G Scott in the late 1990s, in a chance meeting outside his office at the COB. Some of you may recall the way Elder Scott would pivot to look directly into the camera’s eye, throughout his talks.

He was rushed on this occasion, and went into his office after a very brief “hello.” His secretary was there with him, so I spent a few minutes chatting with her. General Conference had been the weekend before, so I asked if she thought he was relieved to be done with his general conference talks. She responded that Elder Scott had already begun working on his talks for the next General Conference. He would write them early, then spend the remaining months memorizing them. That was how he maintained constant eye to eye contact with the camera.

Just one anecdote. I think they all write their own talks and take it very seriously.

kairos
God

Post by kairos »

Does not there has to be some massaging of GA talks to get the right phraseology like "Elder Jeffery R. Holland taught..." or" President Ezra Taft Benson gave guidance to the Saints to..." in every talk ! I would be surprised that Monson's war stories were not concocted by one or more ghostwriters who would seek out the facts and then phrase everything the way Monson used to tell his stories. I think that apostles get speechwriters like President who gives the speechwriter the points to be made and the writer wraps them into a fitting speech. I don't think most apostles have the time to craft a 20 minute talk fully correlated - some like RGS maybe but i believe the exception.
any GA speechwriters out there? maybe they are at BYU or in the LDS newsroom organization-hopefully none came from FARMS or now the MI.

k

Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

People giving important talks usually bring in assistants. Abraham Lincoln was one of history's great orators but he worked from a draft by Seward on his First Inaugural. That's only taking the job seriously. Having a speechwriter, or even a team of speechwriters, isn't the same as having a ghostwriter. The person who gives the speech in the end may well be calling all the shots.