Cox family to get $100 Million

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Cox family to get $100 Million

Post by _moksha »

By: FOX 13 NewsPosted at 5:34 PM, Jul 31, 2020 and last updated 9:14 PM, Jul 31, 2020

A jury on Friday found the state of Washington negligent and ordered it to pay about $100 million to Susan Cox Powell's parents, Q13 FOX reports.
That means possibly a $10 million dollar pay-out to the LDS Church.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Nomomo
_Emeritus

Re: Cox family to get $100 Million

Post by _Nomomo »

You are likely incorrect. A 10% tithe on the full amount awarded by the court would be $9.8 million. Even the most dedicated Mo would not feel they should pay a 10% tithe on the full award before deducting their lawyers fees and court costs.
The Universe is stranger than we can imagine.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Nomomo wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:02 am
You are likely incorrect. A 10% tithe on the full amount awarded by the court would be $9.8 million. Even the most dedicated Mo would not feel they should pay a 10% tithe on the full award before deducting their lawyers fees and court costs.
With that kind of money, they could hire a good tithing attorney and get the amount down even lower.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Nomomo wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:02 am
Disagree with that. I am not lds, but growing up in my lds family, tithing on income was on the gross ALWAYS, regardless of the circumstances.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

The lawyers will most likely take 33 1/3 to 40% of the gross settlement and so "gross" for the client will be discounted accordingly. However, the church won't be satisfied with their paltry $6 Million. As we speak, the good folks at Desert Trust are formulating a presentation on how the church should get all the money eventually, after the recipients pass on.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:11 pm
The lawyers will most likely take 33 1/3 to 40% of the gross settlement and so "gross" for the client will be discounted accordingly. However, the church won't be satisfied with their paltry $6 Million. As we speak, the good folks at Desert Trust are formulating a presentation on how the church should get all the money eventually, after the recipients pass on.
Of that I have no doubt.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

As a resident of Washington State I am not completely happy with my tax money going for this blood payment. I am unsure if contributing to the church will clean it up. I can see that the effort to pass law limiting visitation rights of a person suspected of murder is a good idea . The grandparents efforts in that is worth respect. Maybe they can find righteous use for their new fortune.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:23 pm
As a resident of Washington State I am not completely happy with my tax money going for this blood payment. I am unsure if contributing to the church will clean it up. I can see that the effort to pass law limiting visitation rights of a person suspected of murder is a good idea . The grandparents efforts in that is worth respect. Maybe they can find righteous use for their new fortune.
As I followed the story, the negligence on the part of the state programs and state employees seemed clear. How else should a penalty be assessed?
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Lemmie wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:43 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:23 pm
As I followed the story, the negligence on the part of the state programs and state employees seemed clear. How else should a penalty be assessed?
Lemmie,
I only know the general story and may well be missing critical details about negligence. You may be aware of details which I am not aware. Clearly critical information did not get put together by cps well enough to avoid making wrong decisions. I admit to having some sympathy for CPS workers who have to deal with stream of nightmares with inadequate information. They are always wrong, being overly agressive or not protective enough. They always favor her or him over him or her an the parents can be crazy and armed.

I think the size of the penalty is outlandish. People project their fear of uncertainty into hatred of CPS workers.Yet it is clearly possible for individual workers to make bad decisions out of fault. I can see penalty for that to be appropriate. I do not see the outlandishly large penalty to be paid by the entire state to be proportionate.

If there was actual indifference to the childrens safety then manslaughter charges would appear to be appropriate.