SeN: The Good News about COVID-19? More Near-Death Experiences!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: SeN: The Good News about COVID-19? More Near-Death Experiences!

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I think Dr. P took the slippery earth language of the Book of Mormon too seriously.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

I noticed that Dr. Peterson posted a celebratory link to a story about an LDS official urging people to wear masks. God forbid that people should follow medical advice! Barring that, maybe they'll at least listen to religious advice? Just look at this:
Sic et Non wrote:Please keep in mind that, according to a fair number of perhaps not altogether friendly observers, we’re Morgbots — which is to say that we’re mind-numbed robots, thoughtless and ignorant and unreflecting automatons. When our leaders speak, the thinking has been done.

So, in the words of the mantra that (some claim) is repeated every week in our sacrament meetings and in our various church classes, just shut up and “Pray, Pay, and Obey!”
What is that supposed to mean? Is he implying that Latter-day Saints haven't been wearing masks because they think it would represent a capitulation to Church critics? They won't follow their own religious leaders' advice because doing so would show that they're "Morgbots"? What the hell?

In any case, I noticed that Dr. Peterson failed to mention anything about NDEs, which must mean that he doesn't actually believe in them. Hey: readership matters, and haven't you seen how many shows about the supernatural are on the Travel Channel? And how popular is the reboot of Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

"And how popular is the reboot of Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix?"

I've already watched all the episodes myself. I had a good laugh at Mopologetics during the episode on the UFO encounter with that town, because it appears that the quality of witnesses for that UFO event was far higher than the witnesses for the gold plates. Well, even if they weren't, some guy they interviewed understood the most important point of witness independence. In fact, that's almost the whole thing right there. If three totally independent witnesses report the same flying saucer, then that's something right there. If I were to follow up on that story, the first thing I would do is look for how the alleged witnesses might have played off of each other over the years. They have the right idea in theory, and so the question is if their independent witnesses really are independent. I think that same point got made in one of the other crime stories also. That's way ahead of where the apologists are at. The witnesses of the plates are like three cops backing each other up on a crime scene, or three mob guys who have got their story straight.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Dr. Robbers:

Did you notice the latest "boast post" from "SeN"? Check it out:
Sic et Non wrote:Life under COVID-19 is different than it used to be before the hoax, and I hope that the pandemic goes away soon. Still, there have been some good things. Staying here in Park City this week, we’ve checked off a couple of restaurants that we’ll never need to visit again. That’s good, I guess. And we’ve been watching a Spanish mystery series called Alta Mar (“High Seas”) that’s been a good way to relax at the end of a day of reading and writing and etc. A couple of weeks ago, we participated via Zoom in the ceremony, back in Ohio, in which one of our nieces rose to the rank of captain in the United States Air Force. We’ve done some driving around and exploration in the mountains, too. Facilities here — swimming pool, gym, etc. — are still rather restricted. The hot tubs are altogether closed. But life goes on.
Now, this is interesting. This is an allegedly Libertarian person who has been aggressively supportive of health officials' mask mandates. So, he comes down on the side of the health officials as far as that goes--plus he's been "slathering the ass" of Sam LeFevre lately. But this is a very revealing post, since it shows that the main reason for his support for masks is because he wants to get back as quickly as possible to "the good ol' days" so that he can continue to indulge in his usual lifestyle. Sure: no doubt he's bummed that he can't do his free Cruise Lady vacations this year.

But, here's the thing: he has decided to travel anyways. We all know that health officials promote the wearing of masks. Do you know what else they recommend? Social distancing, and staying at home. Prof. Peterson is putting people's health at risk--such as the restaurant employees and the people working wherever he is staying, just so he can have some fun. Why did he go to the actual restaurants and breathe his "death mist" while shoveling food down his gullet, when he could have just ordered to-go? (And LOL that the restaurants were apparently lousy. I know there are good restaurants in Provo. Why not patronize them instead?)

You really can't have it both ways, can you? Either you are going to pitch in and help out by following the health recommendations, or you're not. Sure: you can argue that you are "helping out economically," but there are safer ways to do that, aren't there?

In any case, the message is clear: everyone needs to wear a mask so that DCP can travel and dine out as he sees fit. The hundreds of thousands of deaths are small potatoes, when you think about it. We need to focus on the more important things, such as what those left living are able to enjoy.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

I didn't see that. Going out to restaurants huh? I haven't been to a sit-down restaurant yet and it's been nearly a week since I've even been through a drive through. Yeah, I'd like to sit down and have a pizza and an IPA from the tap, but what if I'm pre-symptomatic? I'd feel terrible if I were to learn I spread the infection. I guess if I believed in an afterlife though, I might rationalize it: "Hey, if I infect somebody and they die, then at least I know they'll get resurrected soon and so it's no big loss really."
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

Just what “hoax” is he referring to? If he means the one that has me sending his neighbors to the hospital in increasing numbers. Maybe then he could clear up that one point. Some on his board may be thinking it is the current Q-anon Wayfair hoax.

I haven’t eaten at a sit down restaurant since it started.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

The "SeN" proprietor is traveling for fun and blogging about it! It simply does not get any more hypocritical, unethical, and selfish than this. The universal advice from health authorities has been social distancing, and staying at home unless you absolutely need to go out. And yet here is Dr. Peterson, going on these "nostalgic" road trips for no other reason than to satisfy his own lust for "fun." Never mind that he's very likely putting others at risk, or that he's basically flipping off health authorities. And he is doing this from the platform of his blog? Well, gee: I guess the John Pack Lamberts of the world will feel that it's okay to just haul off on a road trip for the hell of it! Hey, so long as you wear a mask, you can do whatever you want!
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:59 am
The "SeN" proprietor is traveling for fun and blogging about it! It simply does not get any more hypocritical, unethical, and selfish than this. The universal advice from health authorities has been social distancing, and staying at home unless you absolutely need to go out. And yet here is Dr. Peterson, going on these "nostalgic" road trips for no other reason than to satisfy his own lust for "fun." Never mind that he's very likely putting others at risk, or that he's basically flipping off health authorities. And he is doing this from the platform of his blog? Well, gee: I guess the John Pack Lamberts of the world will feel that it's okay to just haul off on a road trip for the hell of it! Hey, so long as you wear a mask, you can do whatever you want!
But he gives lip service to covid with his continual calls to "take it seriously." So, why not go to America's great ski destinations in the summer, to do some fund-raising, perhaps? Next stop, Lake Tahoe!
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen