Members push back & WIN! on proposed temple development

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Members push back & WIN! on proposed temple development

Post by _I have a question »

The Mormon way is to follow the Prophet, don't criticise leaders, don't publicly oppose the Church etc. However, on the back of a development proposal by the church for a temple in Tooele, local residents, many of whom are Mormons, have decided they don't like the proposals and have decided to activate themselves to get it changed.
Recently, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced plans to build a temple and residential community on what is currently farmland in Erda.

In June, the Tooele County Commission approved a rezoning ordinance giving the project the green light.

Now, some citizens fear that development could change the way of life in this rural community.

“It’s sad to me,” said Monica Kennedy who has lived in Erda for more than two years. “I hate that we are a small town and they are bringing in a big city development.”

The plan calls to build hundreds of homes on a parcel of land that is roughly 150 acres.

“Originally, this land was zoned for 1-acre lots. With the temple coming in, they pushed for a higher density plan,” Kennedy said.

To try to pause the development, Kennedy and several others are organizing a referendum. They are attempting to gather nearly 2,500 signatures countywide by mid-August to allow voters to decide the rezoning issue on the November ballot.

The issue is a sensitive one for residents who want to preserve the small town qualities of their community, but who are also members of the church.

“Being LDS, I recognize the prophet announced there would be a temple in the Tooele valley,” said Ryan Sorensen, an Erda resident who supports the referendum.

Supporters hope the noise made by referendum will cause developers to rethink the current plan and come up with a compromise.

“Development is inevitable,” Sorensen said.

“We know our valley is going to grow, we want it in harmony with what we have established out here,” Kennedy added.

FOX13 reached out to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a comment and has not heard back.
https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-new ... emple-site

Will there be some threats about removal of temple recommends going round for this members signing the petition?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Members push back on proposed temple development

Post by _moksha »

Retired members want to live close to the Temple in order to spend their waning years doing Temple Work. They are willing to pay extra money to make that happen. The houses around the Draper Temple saw an incredible increase in the sales price and that can be replicated.

Why should the Church let these middlemen real estate developers reap all the profits (even if they do sit on the Church finance committee) when the Church itself could be tucking any profits away in Ensign Peak Investments (which will eventually change the face of Arrakis). Thus the Church is building its own gated community whether these so-called "locals" like it or not. This stuff was all pre-ordained so they can lump it!!!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

> TFW you realize the Church is a real estate holdings and development firm

- Doc
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

Stop building temples LDS Inc.

Sell bluetooth robotic hand shakers and let em do it from home.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

The members have forced the Lord to change His mind...
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint leaders have withdrawn their plan to build a residential community surrounding the announced Tooele Valley Utah Temple.

“We acknowledge the efforts of those who have raised questions and sincere concerns about the Tooele Valley Temple project, including the residential development surrounding the temple. There is a sincere desire on the part of the Church to avoid discord in the community,” the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said in a statement released Tuesday.

“Therefore, regardless of the outcome of a pending signature-gathering effort, we have determined to withdraw our rezoning request for the residential portion of the temple project.”
https://www.ksl.com/article/50007804/la ... -community

Another revelatory U Turn
The governing First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints withdrew Tuesday an approved, but controversial, rezoning request that would have allowed it to build a high-density housing development around its planned Tooele Valley Temple in Erda.
The move came after opponents to the housing development appeared to have gathered enough signatures to put a referendum on the ballot to reverse the rezoning, although a one-week period still remained when signatures could be removed by request.
“There is a sincere desire on the part of the church to avoid discord in the community,” wrote the church’s First Presidency, consisting of President Russell M. Nelson, along with counselors Dallin H. Oaks and Henry B. Eyring.
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/08 ... pposition/

If they wanted to avoid discord in the community why didn't they seek the community's input prior to the rezoning request?
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

I have a question wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:17 pm
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint leaders have withdrawn their plan to build a residential community surrounding the announced Tooele Valley Utah Temple.

“We acknowledge the efforts of those who have raised questions and sincere concerns about the Tooele Valley Temple project, including the residential development surrounding the temple. There is a sincere desire on the part of the Church to avoid discord in the community,” the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said in a statement released Tuesday.

“Therefore, regardless of the outcome of a pending signature-gathering effort, we have determined to withdraw our rezoning request for the residential portion of the temple project.”

The governing First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints withdrew Tuesday an approved, but controversial, rezoning request that would have allowed it to build a high-density housing development around its planned Tooele Valley Temple in Erda.
The move came after opponents to the housing development appeared to have gathered enough signatures to put a referendum on the ballot to reverse the rezoning, although a one-week period still remained when signatures could be removed by request.
“There is a sincere desire on the part of the church to avoid discord in the community,” wrote the church’s First Presidency, consisting of President Russell M. Nelson, along with counselors Dallin H. Oaks and Henry B. Eyring.

If they wanted to avoid discord in the community why didn't they seek the community's input prior to the rezoning request?
Reading posts like this one help me understand the mindset and presuppositions/assumptions that go into the thought processes of someone who has lost their faith in the church, or in some cases, I would suppose, God.

Regards,
MG
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:18 pm
I have a question wrote:

Reading posts like this one help me understand the mindset and presuppositions/assumptions that go into the thought processes of someone who has lost their faith in the church, or in some cases, I would suppose, God.

No, just the human church leaders. Are you suggesting lds people aren’t free to choose to support what they think is right? They are obligated to “choose” what their lds leaders tell them to “choose”? Is their “faith in god” disbelieved if they disagree with the commercial real estate choices of the lds church? What god would require that?!

It sounds like you assume if a person disagrees with their lds church leader, they have lost their faith in god. Is that your belief?
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I have a question wrote:

Or why didn't God just tell his mouthpiece that they should not build that development?

What is it a prophet does again?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Lemmie wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:33 pm
mentalgymnast wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:18 pm

No, just the human church leaders. Are you suggesting LDS people aren’t free to choose to support what they think is right? They are obligated to “choose” what their LDS leaders tell them to “choose”? Is their “faith in god” disbelieved if they disagree with the commercial real estate choices of the LDS church? What god would require that?!

It sounds like you assume if a person disagrees with their LDS church leader, they have lost their faith in god. Is that your belief?
Strike one.

Regards,
MG
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:42 pm

Strike one.
Is that what lds leadership told the tooele members? Too funny.