Oaks tells MP's to not let Missionary's go home early without making them feel guilty

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Oaks tells MP's to not let Missionary's go home early without making them feel guilty

Post by _I have a question »

Speaking to 135 couples participating in the streamed 2020 Mission Leadership Seminar, President Oaks acknowledged that today’s missionaries have chosen to humbly and willingly accept the will of the Lord in whatever circumstance.

“That is the spirit of missionary work in the restored gospel of Jesus Christ,” he said. “The central message of that gospel is the Atonement of Jesus Christ, His resurrection, and His suffering for our repented sins.”

Mission leaders are to teach that “rock foundation,” as labeled by the late Elder Bruce R. McConkie, to their missionaries and assure it is central to their teaching and testimony, President Oaks said.

“Our Savior’s willing sacrifice is the example that guides us forward along the covenant path. As members and missionaries, we follow that example by sacrifices suitable to our own circumstances.”
https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-a ... ces-187815

He goes on to lay the guilt down on any and every missionary that returns early from their mission...
The challenge of missionaries desiring to be released early is very real.

A currently serving mission president told President Oaks of two missionaries, one demanding to return home early and the other having fought through similar difficulties two years earlier, keeping personal commitments, serving the full duration of his call and growing into a mature, successful servant of the Lord.

The difference, the mission president said, was centering decisions on the Savior instead of on oneself.
What an unpleasant, inconsiderate thing to say.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Oaks tells MP's to not let Missionary's go home early without making them feel guilty

Post by _Shulem »

The real reason why missionaries elect to go home early is because they have a masturbation problem.

They go home early because they can't resist the temptation to masturbate.

Stop masturbating and learn to serve the Lord.

If I can go without masturbating, so can you!

I testify that missionaries that masturbate are dirty. They are unworthy to serve. Send them home.

_Hagoth
_Emeritus

Re: Oaks tells MP's to not let Missionary's go home early without making them feel guilty

Post by _Hagoth »

Of course, missionaries are supposed to be unfeeling cookie-cutter robots (except for feelings of devotion to The Brethren) and I'm sure those two missionaries couldn't have possibly had different reasons for wanting to go home or different motivations for deciding whether to say, or different family situations, or different ways of dealing with deeply personal issues, or mission presidents who have different degrees of sympathy or tyranny.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill and Ted
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” - Mark Twain
_msnobody
_Emeritus

Post by _msnobody »

“The difference, the mission president said, was centering decisions on the Savior instead of on oneself.“

Really? That’s not what they told Elder Wilder when he focused on the Savior.” In fact, quite the opposite.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r0mckI8Xf ... e=youtu.be
"The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desire of those who fear him; he also hears their cry and saves them.” Psalm 145:18-19 ESV
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Raise your hand if you have not masturbated for at least 30 days.

_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Interestingly, Oaks exhortation to missionaries to not put themselves first is different to the exhortation Rasband gave to Mission Presidents...
http://mormondiscussions.com/viewtopic. ... d#p1186214

Which was basically put you and your own family first.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

The assumption that being on a Mormon mission is the same as working for Jesus is what I don't believe. I don't even think one has to be religious to do Jesus' work if one wants to. Jesus's paycheck is not large enough to work for him in this life. He is more than capable of carrying out his own work.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."