Why Was DCP "Disinvited" from an Australian University?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Re: Why Was DCP "Disinvited" from an Australian University?

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:02 am
Doctor Scratch,

I have a thought experiment I'd like you entertain. You know how we academics love a good thought experiment, especially when we're paid for doing them!

Suppose that "the author and proprietor" were to remember with absolute clarity the name of the institution, and even the name of the person who made the call to strike his presentation. Given that he's trading in extremes, "they said I was an anti-Muslim bigot and propagandist", what are the chances he would actually pony up the name of the institution and any details he was privy to about those who made the call?
Slim to none, because as we all know: at the end of the day, he's a coward, just like Blair Hodges said. He claims that accusations of racism are "a serious charge," and yet here we've apparently got one that was done in an "official" way: this was a *real* university, and the accusations was made by a *real* university administrator. Doesn't that need to be confronted in a more forthright way?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Lemmie wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:38 pm
You keep mentioning things like that, as though you are trying to hint something? No matter. I’ve had a lifetime of men disapproving of my choices (usually when I am kicking their butts at some intellectual pursuit) and subtly trying to hint their superior wisdom. You’re small potatoes, darling.
I never claimed to be big potatoes, and I did not write anything to claim anything like superiority. I was just noting that my interests on this board are different from yours.
Lemmie wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:38 pm
No problem, I wasn’t thinking that! I was just appreciating what you said about this being an outlet for things we wouldn’t normally indulge, but from which we cannot always restrain ourselves. I admire you for being able to admit that.
Good! I was worried for a second when you suggested I was somehow disapproving of you when I was not. I did not enter this thread to engage with you in particular. You responded to me. I don't think I said anything with the intention of judging or measuring you in any way.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

and I did not write anything to claim anything like superiority.
Of course not! Why would you ever think someone thought that?
kishkumen wrote:
Surely I have better uses of my time than worrying about what Dr. Midgley said on Sic et Non,
Oh.
I was just noting that my interests on this board are different from yours.
But of course you were!
kishkumen wrote:
And it is your decision if you want to follow Dr. Midgley. Please don't think I was aiming that at you. On my own I have sought out Midgley's comments at Sic et Non, even though I have less frequently addressed what I read over there in this forum. You and I can have different hobbies and a different sense of what is worthwhile for ourselves. I don't dispute that.
See, that comment of yours reads EXACTLY like you just noting our interests are different.

From your earlier comment I quoted.
kishkumen wrote:
...I do understand that you hate this kind of historical shooting of the ____. I chose to do it anyway, because, well, I enjoy it. Sorry.
No problem! That’s the beauty of passive aggressive language. You do you, and when you passive aggressively sneer at others who are doing themselves, then a denial is as good as an apology.

Seriously, though, just kidding! NONE of my comments above are about you, nor are they meant to be unkind, or reflect any negativity about you. I am just shooting the sh-t, and reflecting on some concepts. Like you do.

Mostly that I really, really hate the passive aggressive language some posters use. (NOT you, of course!)
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Yeah, well, if you are determined to take things personally, Lemmie, then there is little I can do to help you there. I can judge that I have better things to do with my personal time than follow Midgley comments without making a negative judgment about someone else because I am talking about my personal, subjective experience. That really has nothing to do with you. Yes, I prefer shooting the historical crap to following Midgley comments. So what? If you like following Midgley comments more than shooting the historical crap, what’s that to me? I hope we are both happy doing what we like to do—what we prefer—and there really is nothing passive aggressive about it. I am being totally sincere.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

I for one I am in favor of Peterson being invited to speak at more universities, not merely Australian ones. I want Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Berkeley, Michigan, and even Tarrant County College to hear about NHM and the upcoming witnesses movie.

As they say in New Jersey: Ga'head.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I like that idea Symmachus. Let's have Dr. P spread the word all over the world! The apostles won't do it so why not Dr. P? Also, let's have Dr. Gee join him to explain all things Book of Abraham. I am sure the world would love a lecture on the missing scroll theory or why the pesky scribes tried to reverse engineer Joseph's greatness with the KEP. I mean why wouldn't they? How could Joseph have known? How could Joseph have known his journal entries would be used by that dastardly ne'er do well Hauglid to "claim" that Joseph was translating in 1842 when Joseph obviously meant the less often definition of "translate" to mean "revise." Yes, Joseph was revising, not "translating" in 1842.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Symmachus wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:42 pm
I for one I am in favor of Peterson being invited to speak at more universities, not merely Australian ones. I want Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Berkeley, Michigan, and even Tarrant County College to hear about NHM and the upcoming witnesses movie.

As they say in New Jersey: Ga'head.
Bite your tongue. That’s a SOUTH jersey thing. North jersey is far too couth to voice such a contraction.

Personally, I’m hoping the witnesses movie gets a special screening here. Drive-ins are making a comeback, can you imagine Joseph’s race down the mountain on a giant outdoor screen, with him swinging the bag of plates as he fights off the bad guys who politely approach him one at a time? The KaPow sound effects will be legendary. The brown duct tape around the sealed part of the plates might not fare as well, however. Maybe FairMormon can start promoting it now:
duct tape is the new metal.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:15 am
Yeah, well, if you are determined to take things personally, Lemmie, then there is little I can do to help you there. I can judge that I have better things to do with my personal time than follow Midgley comments without making a negative judgment about someone else...
You certainly could! But you don’t, and that’s my point about the passive aggressive language. Are you aware that you cycle quite regularly between objecting to “inappropriate comments,” and then rigorously castigating those who similarly object to “inappropriate comments”? I feel for you, bud, because there seems to be some genuine conflict going on inside you. No surprise there, I’m a fellow “survivor”, as it were.

In any case, your comments about “fighting” with mopologists are misplaced. I know nothing about these mopologists except for what they post, and when I object to what they post, I AM OBJECTING TO WHAT THEY POST. In other words, ideas and concepts I find inappropriate. I am not being personal about them as human beings, I am expressing my opinion about what they post. I’m not fighting people, I am fighting ideas that damage and hurt people.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Good point .
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Good point .
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.