Bednar (and Church) is helping spread COVID

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Bednar (and Church) is helping spread COVID

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

So, ironically, they put their trust in the arm of flesh.

Cool.

- Doc
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

One might ask if you Kill all the geezer with CoronaBeerVirus, because you need to keep them active/faithful, have you really gained anything?
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:47 pm
Simon Southerton wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:04 am
By most measures that is a total and abject failure as a venture.
I think it has had the actual effect that was intended, at least to some degree. It gave many members the false assurance that some really smart people have answered all of the questions, and the illusion that their doubting family members have no excuse for their doubts.

I saw an example of this this with my friends and colleagues when I tried to discuss the Gospel Topic essays with them. "Have you read them?" "No, but I have a pretty good understanding of what they say." Then they would repeat back to me some lame apologetic from their grandfather's era. One person actually told me the Nauvoo polygamy essay said polygamy was just a way of taking care of the widows of men who died from persecution. I never could get him to read the actual essay because he was satisfied with the answer that he was certain must surely be in that essay.

People walk through Deseret Book and admire all of the books and FARMS pamphlets written by really smart people and it gives them a warm, fuzzy reassurance that the thinking has been done for them. I still hear people talking about all of the evidence for the Book of Mormon throughout Central America, and how they have found conclusive evidence of Lehi and Nephi in Oman. They haven't read about it, mind you, but they have seen the titles of the books and articles.

Then some smartass comes along and writes a book about DNA or something that tells the real story and they toss him out on his head as a traitor.
How many times have apologists touted the claim that it is purely desperate on critics' part to say one does not have to read the Book of Mormon to criticize it and know it s wrong. If they don't read it there is no objective, realistic, or accurate way to actually reject it and be HONEST.

So now, we can say to Mormons themselves, there is no way you can claim all the arguments of your own apologists have valid answers if you don't read them! LOL! The shoe is definitely on the other foot now. The apologists say all the arguments have answers. But members don't even read their own people anymore, so they cannot possibly know those answers, or if they are realistic or accurate. :lol:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Post by _Simon Southerton »

Hagoth wrote:
Simon Southerton wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:04 am
By most measures that is a total and abject failure as a venture.
I think it has had the actual effect that was intended, at least to some degree. It gave many members the false assurance that some really smart people have answered all of the questions, and the illusion that their doubting family members have no excuse for their doubts.
Yes, that's exactly what has gone on. By most superficial measures, as in helping the members to understand their scriptures and the history behind them, LDS apologetics has been a dismal failure. But that has never been why the Church supported apologetics. Mormon apologetics has always been about hiding the skeletons and creating a thin veneer of academic respectability. Nibley, Sorenson, Peterson, Tvedtnes, Midgley, Roper etc etc are unknowns outside of the Utah bubble, but Mormons fawn all over them. I have heard senior leaders refer to Nibley as a lay prophet, when the truth is his salvage job on the Book of Abraham was profoundly dishonest.
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

Simon Southerton wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:25 am
Hagoth wrote:

Yes, that's exactly what has gone on. By most superficial measures, as in helping the members to understand their scriptures and the history behind them, LDS apologetics has been a dismal failure. But that has never been why the Church supported apologetics. Mormon apologetics has always been about hiding the skeletons and creating a thin veneer of academic respectability. Nibley, Sorenson, Peterson, Tvedtnes, Midgley, Roper etc etc are unknowns outside of the Utah bubble, but Mormons fawn all over them. I have heard senior leaders refer to Nibley as a lay prophet, when the truth is his salvage job on the Book of Abraham was profoundly dishonest.
Quite honestly watching or reading the “scholarship” of many of these people is similar to watching an episode of Ancient Aliens on the History Chanel.

If only DCP had hair.