Peterson posts a white privileged survey on delinquency

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Peterson posts a white privileged survey on delinquency

Post by _I have a question »

I offer three more items from Paul McFate, 52 Good Reasons to Go to Church, Besides the Obvious Ones (Chicago: ACTA Publications, 2004) — a little book or booklet that I commend to you (though it may be hard to find). Every single one of the three has been officially board-certified as appropriate for inclusion in your Christopher Hitchens Memorial “How Religion Poisons Everything” File:
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... ement.html
Reduced Delinquency (page 56) — A study of 817 high school students that was published in 1985 found that, as religious activity decreased, serious delinquent behavior, aggression, theft, and vandalism all increased. Frequency of church attendance had a direct behavioral impact. Moreover, according to a 1970 study of 21,720 junior high school and high school students, the positive effect of religious involvement may be significantly enhanced if both parents belong to the same church and both attend regularly. [C. W. Peck, E. W. Curry, and H. P. Chalfant, “Religiosity and Delinquency Over Time: Deviance Deterrence and Deviance Amplification,” Social Science Quarterly 66 (1985): 120-131; A. L. Rhodes and A. J. Reiss, “The ‘Religious Factor’ and Delinquent Behavior,” Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency 7 (1970): 83-98)]
Of course, Peterson doesn’t cite the context of this faith-promoting survey from 1970, so allow me...
Abstract
A multivariate model that assumes the effects of religious orientation and attendance for adolescents and their families, the occupational status of the family, and the age and family structure of adolescents are additive is employed to test the effect of religion on delinquent and truant behavior. The test shows that the life chances of being a delinquent or truant depend upon the religious orientation and participation of adolescents and their families. Jews and nonfundamental Protestants have the lowest delinquency rates while subjects with no church affili ation have the highest rates. A higher than expected rate for male Roman Catholics, however, remains unexplained.

A test for the additive properties of the model was limited to examining the rates of court recorded delinquency for white males. While several tests indicate that the effects of the inde pendent variables on delinquency are not altogether additive, the model gives a first approximation to the actual measures of religious orientation and delinquency or truancy. Further work on the relationship of religious factors to deviant behavior is discouraged unless more refined measures of religious orientation and of the quality of religious commitment and participation are secured.
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.117 ... 7000700108
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: Peterson posts a white privileged survey on delinquency

Post by _Philo Sofee »

One more very good reason to be sincerely and seriously skeptical of anything Peterson writes.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I suspect the crime rate for Altar Boys is much lower than the general population of that age cohort.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

Aside from the problems with applying the methodology, I couldn’t imagine relying on research that old in my field.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Presumably He doesn't care about the well-being of Strangite children. Pull their faith from right out under them and let them rot, he says.

Here is a link to the Strangite congregation:

https://www.ldsstrangite.com/

Seem like nice people.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

moksha wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:25 pm
I suspect the crime rate for Altar Boys is much lower than the general population of that age cohort.
The crime rate BY Altar Boys or AGAINST Altar Boys?
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

dup
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

I visited a branch of the Bickertonites during my mission. They were super nice people. Book of Mormon in every pew. They held testimony meeting on the week we appeared - we went out of curiosity, nothing more. They couldn't have been more welcoming. Invited us to stand and share thoughts on the Book of Mormon, which we both did. They also practice feet washing once a month, if I recall, and the local leader (I've forgotten if he's called a Bishop or something else) talked at length about how that act bound people in the congregation together. I imagine the Strangites are similarly good people, humble and close knit.