Is the United States headed for war with China?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Is the United States headed for war with China?

Post by _moksha »

Symmachus wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:15 am
Someone like G. K. Chesterton writes this way, and Peterson mentions him quite a bit. I get the feeling that Peterson imagines himself a sort of Mormon version of Chesterton, ...
I'm not really familiar with Chesterton's writings, but I did like the British Father Brown TV show. Perhaps Dr. Peterson was also a fan of this Chesterton work. That episode where Father Brown, together with the help of Mrs. McCarthy and Bunty, used a dowsing rod to uncover the identity of the real murderer was awesome. Father Brown had the gift and was successful on his first try.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Post by _Physics Guy »

With apologies to Alexander Pope,
When Gilbert strives some thought's slight weight to hide
The line, too, lumbers, and the words swing wide.
But Chesterton could also write quite plain,
Compose neat epigrams, and stick them in your brain.
I've always thought of Chesterton as an unusually good writer, but what I've meant by that is that he had a knack for composing snappy soundbites. Now that I think about it, maybe the rest of his writing was often flabby, perhaps because it was all really just a set-up for the planned bon mot. Anyway, if Chesterton is the benchmark then the requirement for getting away with a predominantly ponderous style is a pretty generous scattering of quotable lines. If one is not up to that then one should not try to write like G.K.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Symmachus wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:15 am
Peterson's most prominent and constant tic is a tendency to insert adverbial phrases after the beginning of a subordinate clause, inserting them parenthetically, inverting their usual order in the sentence pattern, or needlessly isolating them by commas as if they were appositives when they are not. It has the effect of constant interruption in the flow of the sentence. It is a common feature of 19th periodic style, which was a byproduct of an education in the Greek and Latin classics.
I was taught to compose what purported to be Latin periods at school. A major problem about doing the same in English is the lack of deponent verbs - I remember thinking 'Yes! I know a deponent verb I can use there - that will be really neat!!". Good fun.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Jersey Girl wrote:That's not Trump's "voice". It sounds like DCP.
nice job. ; )
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:13 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:That's not Trump's "voice". It sounds like DCP.
nice job. ; )
I have a good ear. ;-)

Now about this hoax----->nobody likes you, Gad.

:lol:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb