Is the United States headed for war with China?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
Hermit

Is the United States headed for war with China?

Post by Gadianton »

Guys, I know this is the wrong forum for this, but please let this one stand as I'm really concerned about our near future and this post needs the greater exposure this forum provides.

Many of you have already seen that our President has just made the following declaration to Xi Jinping during a personal visit to the White House:
I really, really, really, REALLY, REALLY don't want your country (China) to be the principal topic of conversation here, or a major topic, or even a significant topic.

This is for many reasons, including considerations of both sanity and sanitation. You are also aware that I entered into an agreement with one of your advisors that I would attempt to tamp down tendencies for war to erupt between the United States and your regrettable country. I intend to keep that agreement. Indeed, I have kept it, in the sense that (as always) my policies very rarely even mention your unfortunate country. They focus on other matters. But your appearances here, and those of other emigrés from your country -- and, believe me, I can easily understand why you're desperately feeling the need for a better place! -- tend to call attention to your deplorable country and, quite understandably, to remind its victims here of its undesirable existence. I do not want that. I do not appreciate that.
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

Temp. Admin.
Sunbeam

Re: Is the United States headed for war with China?

Post by Temp. Admin. »

This looks like fake news to me.

First, if Xi Xinping was in the United States and personally visiting the White House, we'd probably know about it.

Second, "emigrés from your country" seems more likely to be something he'd say to a Mexican diplomat, not the leader of China.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

That's not Trump's "voice". It sounds like DCP.

ETA: An example...I really, really, really, REALLY, REALLY don't want your [message board] to be the principal topic of conversation here, or a major topic, or even a significant topic.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Huh. Jersey Girl might’ve just called it.

- Doc

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:14 pm
Huh. Jersey Girl might’ve just called it.

- Doc
Listen to this. Listen to it and tell me that's not DCP that you hear:

But your appearances here, and those of other emigrés from your [message board] -- and, believe me, I can easily understand why you're desperately feeling the need for a better place! -- tend to call attention to your deplorable [message board] and, quite understandably, to remind its victims here of its undesirable existence. I do not want that. I do not appreciate that.
Chinese Proverb

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Get somebody smarter than me over here. When DCP writes, he often uses phrases in some kind of Iambic meter. I know I'm not hearing things. It's noticeable in almost all of his writings.

Isn't this Iambic Pentameter right here?

or a major topic, or even a significant topic.

I do not want that. I do not appreciate that.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chinese Proverb

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Hmm. I don’t know where this originated but I’m pretty sure it was not Trump or DCP. LOL!! Has the Dean’s account been hacked? To spirit paradise is my recommendation.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:31 pm
Hmm. I don’t know where this originated but I’m pretty sure it was not Trump or DCP. LOL!! Has the Dean’s account been hacked? To spirit paradise is my recommendation.
I invite you to study my evidence. That's totally DCP, buddy.
Chinese Proverb

Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

Edit: good one, got me hook line and sinker! The Dean’s shoe for me again at this year’s holiday party. LOL

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:37 pm
Edit: good one, got me hook line and sinker! The Dean’s shoe for me again at this year’s holiday party. LOL
That's because some of you folks read him but you don't hear him. This is but one of my superpowers. ;-) I'll bet 100 monopoly bucks that's DCP and if anyone disagrees they better be digging into the till because I trust both my ear and instinct.

We'll see...
Chinese Proverb

Symmachus
God

Post by Symmachus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:30 pm

No.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Symmachus wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:06 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:

No.
Are you sure about that?

ETA: Whatever it is, that's how DCP writes. And I'm right. Totally right.
Chinese Proverb

Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Since we’re on the topic, what’s the deal with Xi Jinpeterson bringing up Qanon? He seems to of late been referencing it a bit. Is Xi Jinpeterson a 4channer?!?!

- Doc

Mormonicious
God

Post by Mormonicious »

No. China is just waiting out the November Elections. They understand that economically they are at the advantage.

Hell China alone holds $1.10 trillion in bonds from the US. So why go to war, just present the notes for payment, even with the penalties for early surrender. What would the US do, print money to pay it, thus destroying the US economy?

No China can wait until a reasonable leader is in the White House.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins

Symmachus
God

Post by Symmachus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:07 pm
Symmachus wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:06 pm

No.
Are you sure about that?

ETA: Whatever it is, that's how DCP writes. And I'm right. Totally right.
Yes. I am sure you are not looking at iambic pentameter. I am sure that you are right, too.

I will bold the giveaway that you are dealing with Daniel Peterson:
I really, really, really, REALLY, REALLY don't want your country (China) to be the principal topic of conversation here, or a major topic, or even a significant topic.

This is for many reasons, including considerations of both sanity and sanitation. You are also aware that I entered into an agreement with one of your advisors that I would attempt to tamp down tendencies for war to erupt between the United States and your regrettable country. I intend to keep that agreement. Indeed, I have kept it, in the sense that (as always) my policies very rarely even mention your unfortunate country. They focus on other matters. But your appearances here, and those of other emigrés from your country -- and, believe me, I can easily understand why you're desperately feeling the need for a better place! -- tend to call attention to your deplorable country and, quite understandably, to remind its victims here of its undesirable existence. I do not want that. I do not appreciate that.
Peterson's most prominent and constant tic is a tendency to insert adverbial phrases after the beginning of a subordinate clause, inserting them parenthetically, inverting their usual order in the sentence pattern, or needlessly isolating them by commas as if they were appositives when they are not. It has the effect of constant interruption in the flow of the sentence. It is a common feature of 19th periodic style, which was a byproduct of an education in the Greek and Latin classics. A periodic sentence, in simple terms, is one that begins a thought but goes a long way around before the thought is completed at the end of the sentence because numerous subordinate clauses will intervene, each adding information to round out the thought which will have some cue at the end of the sentences that links it back to the beginning (hence "periodic," which means "a circuit" or a "course" like a running track). Someone like G. K. Chesterton writes this way, and Peterson mentions him quite a bit. I get the feeling that Peterson imagines himself a sort of Mormon version of Chesterton, perhaps in more ways than one (weigh the comparison yourself, dear reader). Since Peterson does not have that deep classical education, or at any rate does not display it in the way he writes (as even classicists don't), one gets the feeling that he is imitating the feel of it by creating this sense of delay through overuse of commas and adverbial phrases that are just fluff.

Watch what happens to the first paragraph when I apply that same tic:

Peterson's most prominent tic is, constantly, a tendency to insert, after the beginning of a subordinate clause, adverbial phrases, parenthetically, inverting their usual order in the sentence pattern, or, as if they were appositives, isolating them by commas, when they are not.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Jersey Girl wrote:

Could it be a stylized form of Provonian Chiasmus?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Mormonicious wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:57 pm
No. China is just waiting out the November Elections. They understand that economically they are at the advantage.

Hell China alone holds $1.10 trillion in bonds from the US. So why go to war, just present the notes for payment, even with the penalties for early surrender. What would the US do, print money to pay it, thus destroying the US economy?

No China can wait until a reasonable leader is in the White House.
Chump.
Chinese Proverb

Symmachus
God

Post by Symmachus »

moksha wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:19 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:

Could it be a stylized form of Provonian Chiasmus?
Before you chiasm all of your keyboard: no. On the other hand, it's certainly Hebraic in its parallelism: A + A in first line, B + B in second line. Mashallah!

—B. Redd McConkie

Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Symmachus wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:15 pm
Peterson's most prominent and constant tic is a tendency to insert adverbial phrases after the beginning of a subordinate clause, inserting them parenthetically, inverting their usual order in the sentence pattern, or needlessly isolating them by commas as if they were appositives when they are not. It has the effect of constant interruption in the flow of the sentence. It is a common feature of 19th periodic style, which was a byproduct of an education in the Greek and Latin classics. A periodic sentence, in simple terms, is one that begins a thought but goes a long way around before the thought is completed at the end of the sentence because numerous subordinate clauses will intervene, each adding information to round out the thought which will have some cue at the end of the sentences that links it back to the beginning (hence "periodic," which means "a circuit" or a "course" like a running track). Someone like G. K. Chesterton writes this way, and Peterson mentions him quite a bit. I get the feeling that Peterson imagines himself a sort of Mormon version of Chesterton, perhaps in more ways than one (weigh the comparison yourself, dear reader). Since Peterson does not have that deep classical education, or at any rate does not display it in the way he writes (as even classicists don't), one gets the feeling that he is imitating the feel of it by creating this sense of delay through overuse of commas and adverbial phrases that are just fluff.

Watch what happens to the first paragraph when I apply that same tic:

Peterson's most prominent tic is, constantly, a tendency to insert, after the beginning of a subordinate clause, adverbial phrases, parenthetically, inverting their usual order in the sentence pattern, or, as if they were appositives, isolating them by commas, when they are not.
LOL! This is priceless. Thanks, Symmachus!

As for this:
I get the feeling that Peterson imagines himself a sort of Mormon version of Chesterton, perhaps in more ways than one (weigh the comparison yourself, dear reader).
Ouch. Though at least it's nicer than calling people "cockroaches."
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Symmachus wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:15 pm
Someone like G. K. Chesterton writes this way, and Peterson mentions him quite a bit. I get the feeling that Peterson imagines himself a sort of Mormon version of Chesterton, ...
I'm not really familiar with Chesterton's writings, but I did like the British Father Brown TV show. Perhaps Dr. Peterson was also a fan of this Chesterton work. That episode where Father Brown, together with the help of Mrs. McCarthy and Bunty, used a dowsing rod to uncover the identity of the real murderer was awesome. Father Brown had the gift and was successful on his first try.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace