D&C 132 was only meant for one person...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

D&C 132 was only meant for one person...

Post by _I have a question »

This week, new legislation goes into effect in Utah that decriminalizes polygamy among consenting adults. The development, which was voted on in February, was a long-time coming. But while many decriminalization bills have been proposed over the years—Utah’s polygamy laws are the harshest in the entire country—what made this one successful was not who was involved, but who stood quietly to the side: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The LDS Church remains a dominant force in the state, and until recently worked hard to cease any attempts to soften the state’s polygamy laws. This time, however, their silence was deafening, and it allowed the bill to pass.

Mormonism has always been inseparably connected to these policies. Utah was granted statehood in 1896, only after LDS leaders promised to give up the faith’s controversial, yet defining, feature. And though the church took more than another decade to fully divorce itself from the practice, for much of the twentieth century Mormon leaders and politicians alike were unfailing in their quest to purge the state of polygamists, adopting, as noted above, America’s most strident anti-polygamy policies.

Part of that drive was due to the state constitution’s explicit criminalization of polygamy. But another part, and perhaps a major driver within the LDS portion of the agitation, is modern Mormonism’s continued anxiety over the practice itself.
https://religiondispatches.org/how-an-1 ... Mormonism/
These anxieties have remarkably precise historic roots. At the heart of the issue is a single, yet overwhelming, scriptural text. Dictated by Joseph Smith on July 12, 1843, and now known as Doctrine and Covenants 132, the manuscript was forged in the fire of marital conflict, secret teachings, and swirling rumors. It was created for an intended audience of one, yet now remains binding on millions.
The full article is worth a read
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Re: D&C 132 was only meant for one person...

Post by _huckelberry »

"132 for one person only" From the clip above I thought that a perverse statement. Reading the article I see what he is trying to do with this dubious statement. He is trying to increase a flexibility about the doctrine that reverses foundational beliefs over 150 years old. Well there is a Mormon group who has done that and did that over 150 years ago.

I cannot imagine the SLC leadership giving up the authority that the reorganized LDS did. Though there may be a few individual Mormons thinking the negro policy was a mistake I doubt the leadership is willing to agree. Do that and they are on the road to being like the reorganized, or admitting the reorganized were right all along.