Will there be changes?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
mocnarf
Priest

Will there be changes?

Post by mocnarf »

Will there be changes in the practice of Mormon religion when the Churches are opened up?
For example:
Will the breaking of the sacrament bread by teenagers be done now with gloved hands? If not, would you partake it? Why would you not fear contamination with Covid19?
Likewise, should the bread and water have a covering over them while those teenagers say a prayer over the sacrament to prevent contamination?
Or, are there better ways to prevent contamination of the sacrament?

Blessings with the laying on with hands. Will hands now be gloved?

What other changes might be in the works?

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Re: Will there be changes?

Post by Shulem »

If I'm not mistaken, don't the priests already clean their hands with alcohol swabs before breaking bread? I thought that was general practice. No, I don't think they will be breaking bread with gloves, not even white gloves. So long as their hands are washed and they swabbed with alcohol it's not really a problem.

The hovering over the trays isn't an issue considering that it's just a fact of life. Like when you go to the restaurant to order there is no telling how many faces hovered over your food before you finally get served. So, a couple of priests are no big deal.

Blessings of the hands over the head could change. A simple head cloth may be utilized and hand sanitizer for those participating in the ordinance. Anything is possible. Once changes are made it will seem like nothing really changed.

I have a question
God

Post by I have a question »

Shulem wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:00 pm
If I'm not mistaken, don't the priests already clean their hands with alcohol swabs before breaking bread? I thought that was general practice. No, I don't think they will be breaking bread with gloves, not even white gloves. So long as their hands are washed and they swabbed with alcohol it's not really a problem.

The hovering over the trays isn't an issue considering that it's just a fact of life. Like when you go to the restaurant to order there is no telling how many faces hovered over your food before you finally get served. So, a couple of priests are no big deal.

Blessings of the hands over the head could change. A simple head cloth may be utilized and hand sanitizer for those participating in the ordinance. Anything is possible. Once changes are made it will seem like nothing really changed.
I think the bigger issue with the sacrament bread distribution will be all the other hands that have dipped into the bread tray before it reaches you.

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

I have a question wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:27 pm
I think the bigger issue with the sacrament bread distribution will be all the other hands that have dipped into the bread tray before it reaches you.
You know, I didn't even think of that, moreover, the trays get passed down the pews and everyone is handling them -- from hand to hand. So when the tray gets to the last person the odds are the highest that the handle has Corona on it.

I think the church is going to have to reconsider how the sacrament is passed because the more hands on the handle mean the greater the chance you'll get infected during worship. That's ironic.

But now the members know what it's like to skip church and stay home. There is going to be a lot less people going back.

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:38 pm

But now the members know what it's like to skip church and stay home. There is going to be a lot less people going back.
On the Mormon D&D board, some posters have expressed their desire to not return at this time. Some want to wait for a vaccine. Of course, being rugged individualists, no one can force ward members to wear masks or gloves.

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

Yep, now that they know how nice it is to stay home on Sunday and to skip the rigors of all the repetitive ritualistic nonsense, they will be tempted to blow church off and experiment with the evils of being less active.

Future church activity is going to seriously decline. Baptisms will decline too. AND, all this means less tithing donations for the Church as it begins to rely on the rainy day funds.

I have a question
God

Post by I have a question »

Jana Riess is unimpressed with the plan...
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has announced a two-phased plan for reopening church meetings and activities. I don’t believe the first phase, which is about to begin in some parts of the world, is strict enough to ensure people’s safety right now when we’re still very much in the heat of this pandemic.
Although the document uses words like “careful” and “caution” and emphasizes repeatedly the need to follow government safety protocols wherever members live in the world, the church’s guidelines leave too much to chance.
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/05 ... s-churchs/
I think that the Church would prefer she use the word "faith" rather than "chance", but I note they are synonymous.
While it ought to go without saying that a potluck during a pandemic is a Very Bad Idea, I would prefer the church’s guidelines to clarify that fact. This is not the time for Latter-day Saint leaders to suddenly decide to adhere to founder Joseph Smith’s easygoing advice that church leaders merely need to give members good principles and let them govern themselves. For many decades, Correlation has given the lie to the founder’s ideal, providing explicit instructions about nearly every aspect of administering The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Recall that it was only last week that the church issued a statement mandating which artworks would be acceptable for use in the foyers of its buildings around the world. There is now a church-approved catalog of permissible images of a Nordic-looking Jesus. If we can micromanage that, can we not also make it clear that this is not the time to be cavalier about a potentially deadly pathogen?
She has a point about the Church's prescriptive instructions on art use, versus the ambiguity regarding peoples safety. I guess artworks can't sue the Church.
Released within hours of the LDS Church’s guidelines, this CDC report describes what happened at an Arkansas church in March, when the pastor and his wife unwittingly infected several dozen members of their small church. They didn’t realize they were infected yet, which is the trickiest aspect of this virus: It’s never going to be enough just to tell people who are feeling sick to stay home. This pastor held a Bible study when he was pre-symptomatic; the church conducted some activities and singing for the kids; the congregation enjoyed a buffet-style lunch together.

All so normal and wholesome. Then over a third of the attendees got sick with COVID-19 and three of them died.
But at least the artwork will be right...

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

Covid 19 will create a divide between some members and the Church. Doubts will arise. For some members (the more the merrier) this will be the last straw as they lose faith in the leaders and come to terms that they aren't really what they claim to be or at least don't practice it in real life. There will be some members that feel that way and will slip into inactivity once the pandemic is over. On the other hand, there will be members who hold firm to the rod and maintain their faith that these prophets really are seers and that God is leading them. But this pandemic will take a toll. The inactivity rate of the Church will increase. Many members are finding out what it's like to stay at home and be spiritual all on their own without the aid of correlated Church authority telling them how to do everything while being corralled on pews like human cattle.