DCP Endorses Malevolent Stalking on "SeN"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: DCP Endorses Malevolent Stalking on "SeN"

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:47 am
very revealing.
I haven’t read any of his writing
right. But he reads anti-Neville literature anytime "a friend" points it out to him. So he doesn't actually know Neville's beliefs about geography as he's never read any of that, and forms his opinions based on anti-lit. How is this any different from Christians who never read the Book of Mormon but believe the anti-lit their friends give them?

I challenge Coach P. to put the same amount of reading and prayer into Neville's writings that he expects non-Mormons to put into investigating the Book of Mormon.
:lol: :lol: :lol: He doesn't need to actually read it, he already KNOWS it's malarky.........oh... wait....
I am just soooooooooo grateful I no longer slobber over the literal silliness of what Peterson writes and does these days. I am virtually forced to acknowledge the miracle of being saved from the cesspool of Mopologetic hypocrisy. How did I actually get so lucky? I am not kidding! I am a very fortunate (and totally rejoicing!!!) man these days!
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

He's flailing around in desperation at this point. We have absolutely stung him on the ass. LOL! C'mon, Dan: just admit how much you hate Jonathan Neville, and how much you wish he would be excommunicated! How good would you feel about that?
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

Hi Doctor,

With campus closed for the semester, I've taken advantage of our remote learning model to enjoy an extended stay at my brother's ranch in Montana. I am happy to report that the invasive fox population is down and, much to my joy, my students' grades are all up!

The latter is nothing on my account, but due entirely to the phenomenal vision of our Dean. As we all remember, last summer Dean Robbers shocked the campus by allocating fully 40% of the capital budget to digital platform technologies: creating a virtual reality construct for the entire campus, VR headsets for all students, bolstering cyber security, and deploying technical design and simulation software to enable realistic laboratory experiences for all of our science students. What a bold move it was, and I do recall murmuring sarcastically about this "public relations stunt" forcing my department to delay upgrading my office network from low baud modem to a 20 Mbps Cat 4 link. I put on a happy face for all of the extra work in Fall semester, testing these tools and pedagogy on newly admitted online-only students and select on-campus volunteers. But then all of *this* happened. And not only has the campus closing gone off hitch free, I dare say my students are so pleased with the digital Cassius experience that I have received three heartfelt expressions from wealthy parent-donors wishing to establish endowed professorships in digital technologies such as machine learning, robotic automation, and artificial intelligence. What a blessing it is to be led by someone with such vision and courage!

With regard to your post here, I sense that it hits you close to home. You're so frequently condemned as a malevolent stalker for the very same behavior as is now evidently to be celebrated. I guess it all depends on the target, right? "All's fair in love and war," eh, Doctor?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:11 am
He's flailing around in desperation at this point. We have absolutely stung him on the ass. LOL! C'mon, Dan: just admit how much you hate Jonathan Neville, and how much you wish he would be excommunicated! How good would you feel about that?
Peterson declares to have very little interest in Jonathan Neville, nor what he says. However, entering the term "Jonathan Neville" into Peterson's blog specific search engine, produces four full pages of results (at c10 blog articles per results page). Showing that Peterson has significantly more than "very little interest" in his fellow Latter-day Saint, Mr Neville, and what he has to say for himself. One could argue that Peterson actually works quite hard to promote Jonathan Neville.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

It’s utterly shocking, SHOCKING I TELLS YA, that a Mormon priesthood holder, BYU professor, and bon vivant such as Daniel C. Peterson has been outed, YET AGAIN, as a lying sack of crap.

Shocking. Utterly. *queue his moaning about being a victim in 3-2-1...*

- Doc
_toon
_Emeritus

Post by _toon »

Following the Heartland vs. Mesoamerica debate is about as entertaining as watching flat earthers argue about whether the earth is in a contained dome or whether it's an infinite flat plane. Which is to say that taken alone, the actual arguments on both side are so absurd so as to make it not worth anyone's time, but when you add in the personalities, it can be quite entertaining.

I once tried to explain the debate to a non-member, co-worker, atheist friend, who didn't have any religious upbringing, and his biggest hurdle to even understanding the debate was that people actually believed that the Book of Mormon was a historical document. Even though he understood that people have crazy religious beliefs, that those may be heavily influenced by being raised in a religious culture, etc., he still couldn't get past that.
The post contains a series of links to what appears to be an authentic court document, showing that, indeed, Neville was taken to court by the FTC. Well, you have to admit: that's unfortunate. And shame on Neville if he was truly guilty. (I don't see any indication of how the case was resolved...) But you can't help but notice the hypocrisy here. How and why is it okay for Peterson and PeterPan to post links to court documents, but posting links to tax documents showing that Peterson lied about his compensation for Mopologetics is soul-crushingly horrific, and the source of nearly unending weltschmerz?
And there's more than just one level of hypocrisy. I don't know if Neville was perpetuating some fraud or actually believed in the quackery. If the latter, then ad hominemattack on him is that you can't believe his crazy Heartland beliefs because he also holds crazy medical beliefs, but at the same time ignore our crazy Mesoamerican model beliefs. And, by the way, here's another blog entry on dowsing.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

The war continues:
DCP wrote:HTTPS (a.k.a. Jonathan Neville?): "How much of the CARES Act will yours and Welch-Magleby’s 501(c)(3)s receive?"

I suspect that Brothers Welch and Magleby will receive the same amount that I will, namely absolutely nothing.

HTTPS (a.k.a. Jonathan Neville?): "Why don’t you hang out your PayPal buttons and BEG for more donations since the CARES Act “provides charitable giving incentives to donors to 501(c)(3) organizations by expanding the charitable deduction to all taxpayers for a year.“ Beg, beg, and beg some more, more and more."

The Word of Wisdom doesn't expressly forbid the use of hallucinogenic drugs, HTTPS, but they're pretty clearly a violation of its spirit. So I hope that you'll consider giving them up.

HTTPS (a.k.a. Jonathan Neville?): "This should be a great boost to your business model of priests and teachers that ought to become popular, and they ought not to labor with their hands, but they ought to be supported by the people as they Privately Interpret the Scriptures while sitting upon their Foundations while they rest their bodies and arms upon seats and breastworks of golden bank accounts high and lifted up above any other obtained by their beggings."

The by-laws of the Interpreter Foundation permit me up to $500 annually as payment for my services. I've never taken a cent. Nor has any other member of the Board of Trustees. My wife and I are donors to the Foundation.

The FIRM Foundation, flagship organization of the "Heartland" movement, functions a bit differently, I believe. I could be wrong, but I believe that at least one of its officers makes his living from it, and I'm told that FIRM conferences typically feature booths and/or presentations connected with commercial products, something that has never been seen at an Interpreter meeting. So there may be some considerable irony in your accusing me of profiteering from the foundation that I lead.

HTTPS (a.k.a. Jonathan Neville?): "It’s a simple question. Don’t get angry. Think of the dough! ka-ching ka-ching! bling bling bling!"

The "dough" that I've earned from Interpreter, since it's nonexistent, makes no sound.

HTTPS (a.k.a. Jonathan Neville?): "Then you can still afford to tell everyone that Joseph Smith translated the plates with a stone in a hat and other imaginary tales of Mexico, Cumorah 1 and 2, and Israelites transforming into Maya, to help hinder the Lord’s work."

You made a similar spectacle of yourself when you were here before under a different moniker, I believe.

For the life of me, I can't imagine why you would suppose that such behavior reflects well on the "Heartland" movement or its claims.
Wait a second. Is he really saying this?: "I'm told that FIRM conferences typically feature booths and/or presentations connected with commercial products, something that has never been seen at an Interpreter meeting." Quite a slippery qualification, don't you think? Especially given the close ties between Interpreter and the Cruise Lady? Suffice it to say that I don't think that the full tale of "Mormon Interpreter'"s finances has yet been told.