BYU Continues To Receive Coronavirus Funding

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

BYU Continues To Receive Coronavirus Funding

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I don't know about you, but I'm sure glad the Church is sitting on a rainy day fund of $124 billion dollars.

So far the Church has donated 5.5 million for Coronavirus relief and has received almost 50 million from the government. The Church is making a killing off the Coronavirus.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... hy-BYU-is/
Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Fri May 15, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Re: BYU Continues To Receive Coronavirus Funding

Post by Shulem »

Jesus wrote:Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal
Meanwhile, the Mormons have amassed billions of dollars into a secret bank account while a pandemic is sweeping the earth and millions of Africans don't even have running water.
Jesus wrote: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal
The Mormons have chosen to lay their treasures into a worldly bank and then tell the Africans they are not a wealthy people.
Jesus wrote:For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Mormon treasure is in the bank. That is where their heart is. A worldly organization for worldly people.

Symmachus
God

Post by Symmachus »

I don't remember Jesus's words about running water beyond a mysterious claim that he was the water and we had to born in his water or something. Maybe he should have been more explicit about that.

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:33 am
I don't know about you, but I'm sure glad the Church is sitting on a rainy day fund of $124 billion dollars.

So far the Church has donated 5.5 million for Coronavirus relief and has received almost 50 million from the government. The Church is making a killing off the Coronavirus.

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Isn't it glorious? Isn't it wonderful?

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:50 pm
Isn't it glorious? Isn't it wonderful?

It's glorious and wonderful. Are you current with your tithing, Philo? God is watching u.

Pay your tithing, today! The Church needs the funds.

I have a question
God

Post by I have a question »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:33 am

Why does a tax-exempt entity qualify for government tax-funded grant?

SuperDell
Holy Ghost

Post by SuperDell »

Just as "there is no such thing as bad publicity"... there is no such thing as bad money.

Stem
God

Post by Stem »

Everybody Wang Chung when I click the link it doesn't work. If I go to SLtrib and search for an article giving us info on this I find nothing. What info is out there on this?

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

The comments on that article are hilarious. Married students living on welfare and taking government money so they can have kids while in college, then bragging they ‘paid their own way,’ all so they can now give back....to their church, in the form of 10%+ tithing in perpetuity so the Mormon church can save up 100 billion plus in a secret fund.

In other words, tax-payer’s money is funneled into the LDS church, under the guise of “building self-sufficiency.” Which really means popping out future welfare recipients and tithe-payers on the government dollar. Sounds like Warren Jeffs’ plan.

Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Stem, it looks like the pay-wall is making the link not active. Here is the article:

The funny reason why BYU is getting more coronavirus funding from the federal government than the University of Utah
The funny reason why BYU is getting more coronavirus funding from the federal government than the University of Utah
(Leah Hogsten | The Salt Lake Tribune)

By Courtney Tanner

Published: April 16
Updated: April 23, 2020
Editor’s note: The Salt Lake Tribune is providing readers free access to critical local stories about the coronavirus during this time of heightened concern. See more coverage here. To support journalism like this, please consider donating or become a subscriber.

Utah’s colleges and universities will collect more than $130 million as part of the federal aid package meant to provide relief during the coronavirus pandemic.

At least half of that money must go directly to helping students here — many of whom have lost their campus jobs and have had to shift quickly to online classes — so that they can stay in school. But there is a big difference across the state in what share of the funding each institution is getting and how much they will be able to provide back in return.

Westminster College, for example, has been granted the least of any public or private university here, pulling in $1.9 million from the stimulus package known as the CARES Act. That makes sense because the Salt Lake City school has the fewest number of students enrolled.

However, Brigham Young University in Provo is getting the most: a whopping $32.3 million.

That’s nearly two times as much as the University of Utah — the state's flagship school, which has roughly the same size student population — will receive as it picks up $18.7 million. And it’s a quarter of the total amount of money for all of the state’s higher education split over 10 schools.

So why is BYU, a private, religious college, raking in so much? The reason is kind of funny but also very “Utah.” It has to do with young people getting married.

The federal aid for colleges during the virus is based on a complex formula. But put simply, it grants funds based on the percentage of how many students at an institution qualify for Pell grants. Those grants are calculated by need and awarded to students each year in low-income households who need help paying for school.

Up until a student is 24 years old, they have to include in their application for the grant what their parents make (unless they are independent). That’s used to determine how much a family could contribute to tuition. Those in families making a combined $50,000 or less are generally eligible for higher awards.

Now here’s the part where marriage comes in. If a student gets married before he or she is 24, they can now put down their income and their spouse’s — and leave their parents off. For most college students who are married, that will mean a much lower total income. Therefore, they will be eligible for more grants.

At the more conservative BYU, which is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a higher percentage of undergraduate students are married than at the U. and other Utah colleges; most estimates put it at 25% of the student body.

“That's so much more,” said U. spokesman Chris Nelson with a laugh.

That plays out with grants. According to numbers from the 2018-2019 academic year, 6,930 University of Utah students received Pell grants. At BYU, 12,126 students — about double — received the grants, which would match the extra federal funding for the virus (though not all recipients are married).

Both schools have about 32,000 students.

A spokeswoman for the Utah System of Higher Education also confirmed the marriage explanation.

The pattern holds, too, when you look at the next highest federal aid award for a Utah college: Utah Valley University, which sits near BYU, in Orem. UVU will receive $22.9 million from the virus stimulus package.

The school has 42,000 students and 13,597 received Pell grants in 2018-2019. A high number of students there, too, belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which owns BYU, and are also married, Nelson said.

“There’s a higher percentage there, as well,” he noted. School records show that about 14,000 there are married. At BYU, with its smaller enrollment, it’s about 8,000.

Barb Smith, a spokeswoman at UVU, said the school also functions as an open enrollment system with low tuition. Accordingly, more students there are eligible for grant support to pay tuition, and many are first-generation college students.

"We serve a community that looks more like a community college," she added.

The other universities in the state fell in the middle, with Utah State University getting $17.4 million, for instance, and Weber State University collecting $11.7 million, according to a list of the allocations.

As far as using the funds — no matter how they got them — all schools must allocate half to student support. That could include providing financial aid, so students can continue their studies in the fall, or creating more paid campus jobs. U.S. Department of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos wrote in a letter to colleges that they should help “students whose lives have been disrupted, many of whom are facing financial challenges and struggling to make ends meet” during the pandemic.

About $13 billion, total, will go to colleges across the country.

At the U., Nelson said, they will subsidize tuition with the hope that more students will stay and finish their degrees. At UVU, Smith noted, it’s not clear yet how they will spend the money, but it will likely be similar.

BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins said in an email, "Assisting our students with their needs is our first priority. We have not yet made any other decisions in regard to CARES Act funding for the institution."

In addition to the $130 million going to higher education, Utah will receive another roughly $100 million for classrooms for a total $230 million in funding.

About $68 million of that will go specifically to public K-12 schools, including charters, overseen by the Utah Board of Education. State Superintendent Sydnee Dickson said during a board meeting Thursday that the funds will “really help with bridging the gaps that we’re seeing.”

The money will be used to address challenges in getting materials to students, such as buying more laptops or providing extra tutoring when classes resume in person after the outbreak.

Additionally, $29 million for education will go to Utah Gov. Gary Herbert’s office to distribute.

TOP ARTICLES
1/6

Stem
God

Post by Stem »

Thank you, my good man. If the Church wanted to take a moral position, I'd think they'd kindly reject the money--encouraging that it go somewhere more needed. It can certainly sustain the blow of this pandemic, many will not.

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

I heard that BYU did in fact reject the $32m. If that’s correct, then I applaud the decision!

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:34 pm
I heard that BYU did in fact reject the $32m. If that’s correct, then I applaud the decision!
Apparently it is a return to sender situation. The Church declared that it did not need the money and would be helping BYU students out of its own pockets. It makes me wonder what form this help will take?

Stem
God

Post by Stem »

I applaud the church as well. Doing the right thing should be encouraged.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... -not-take/

I have a question
God

Brigham Young University was allotted the most federal funding of any Utah college to provide relief during the pandemic — but the school won’t be taking any of it.
Instead, the private university announced Monday, it will use its own funds to offer support to students. And it will ask the U.S. Department of Education to reallocate the $32.3 million it had set aside for BYU to others.

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

The Church is only doing this because it doesn't want strings or entanglements that could arise out of taking charity from the government when it already has over a 100 billion in tax free money it bilked from its members. The 32 million is nothing compared to the hassles the Church might get later for taking it.

I have a question
God

I have a question wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:29 pm
Brigham Young University was allotted the most federal funding of any Utah college to provide relief during the pandemic — but the school won’t be taking any of it.
Instead, the private university announced Monday, it will use its own funds to offer support to students. And it will ask the U.S. Department of Education to reallocate the $32.3 million it had set aside for BYU to others.
They didn’t immediately reject the funding, it took them from April 16th to May 18th to reach the decision not to take the funding.
From the article in the OP Dated 16th April:
BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins said in an email, "Assisting our students with their needs is our first priority. We have not yet made any other decisions in regard to CARES Act funding for the institution."

I wonder why it took so long?

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

I have a question wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:23 pm
I wonder why it took so long?
Because they were tempted and wanted to bite the apple. But in the end, through consultation with their financial advisors and lawyers it was determined to pass on the million dollar fruit and rely on their 100 billion account instead.

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

BYU made the right choice in the end, and I am very glad the administrators came to their senses: that well-endowed schools should take care of their students in a crisis, because there is no free lunch even with government money that sounds "free."

My understanding is that the money was made available, but never taken. So it doesn't really matter when the decision was made, does it? BYU never formally accepted the funds, and so those funds are available elsewhere. Bravo, BYU.

Now if we can only ask BYU to get around to making the right decision about clarifying the honor code policy related to LGBTQ couples. Let's shift the focus back on priorities.

I have a question
God

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:33 am
BYU made the right choice in the end, and I am very glad the administrators came to their senses: that well-endowed schools should take care of their students in a crisis, because there is no free lunch even with government money that sounds "free."

My understanding is that the money was made available, but never taken. So it doesn't really matter when the decision was made, does it?
As a kid the Church had a teaching going round that the mere thought of doing something wrong was just as bad as actually doing the thing that was wrong. Ergo, thinking about taking the government money is as bad as actually taking it, in the eyes of the Church.
BYU never formally accepted the funds, and so those funds are available elsewhere. Bravo, BYU.
I think the reasons/motivations behind making a correct decision are important. If BYU made the decision straight away because it was the right thing to do, great. But why wait a month to decline it? If BYU made the decision after waiting a month to see if they could get away with taking it without somebody noticing, realised they couldn't and then decided not to take it...well...that's something much less laudable.
Now if we can only ask BYU to get around to making the right decision about clarifying the honor code policy related to LGBTQ couples. Let's shift the focus back on priorities.
Wouldn't BYU just do that because it was the right thing to do? Why would they need to be asked?