John Gee Alleges His Book of Abraham Book Was "Suppressed"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr LOD
Star B

Re: John Gee Alleges His Book of Abraham Book Was "Suppressed"

Post by Dr LOD »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:32 am
Does anyone know if any of the brethren are behind Gee's new book? It might be too early to tell since it is due to come out on Amazon on May 11, 2020. It's not surprising that it is listed on the Fair site, but I wonder if some of the brethren are recommending this. When "Planted" came out, Patrick Q. Mason, my father said one of his Q15 buddies recommended that he have me read the book. My brother who knows some of the brethren as well gave the same recommendation. These recommendations came at around the same time so I assume there was some coordination.
I imagine that he has a couple of Q70, good candidates are ones that have spoken recently at the FAIR conference Callister, Christensen. A Q15 would have more distant contact.

I have a Q70 that sends books from time to time, mostly the current MI oriented stuff, Givens, Mason ect... which is interesting.

Some time back he sent the latest Laura Hales book that was a collection of various LDS apologetics subjects, basically expanded Gospel Topic essays. I pointed out how the information and arguments in the various different chapters was internally contradictory, which would make one question the validity of any of the arguments as a whole.

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Dr LOD wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:17 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Does anyone know if any of the brethren are behind Gee's new book? It might be too early to tell since it is due to come out on Amazon on May 11, 2020. It's not surprising that it is listed on the Fair site, but I wonder if some of the brethren are recommending this. When "Planted" came out, Patrick Q. Mason, my father said one of his Q15 buddies recommended that he have me read the book. My brother who knows some of the brethren as well gave the same recommendation. These recommendations came at around the same time so I assume there was some coordination.
I imagine that he has a couple of Q70, good candidates are ones that have spoken recently at the FAIR conference Callister, Christensen. A Q15 would have more distant contact.

I have a Q70 that sends books from time to time, mostly the current MI oriented stuff, Givens, Mason ect... which is interesting.

Some time back he sent the latest Laura Hales book that was a collection of various LDS apologetics subjects, basically expanded Gospel Topic essays. I pointed out how the information and arguments in the various different chapters was internally contradictory, which would make one question the validity of any of the arguments as a whole.
It's more evidence that they just want something/anything to throw at the people questioning/leaving. They don't have good answers, otherwise, the Q15/Q70 would be front and center leading the wanders back to the fold. Instead, they hide behind the apologists and their internally contradictory books.

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:14 pm
It's more evidence that they just want something/anything to throw at the people questioning/leaving.
Perhaps they reasoned that apologetic books would leave greater welts when thrown with sufficient force.

Dr LOD
Star B

Post by Dr LOD »

Dr Exiled wrote:
It's more evidence that they just want something/anything to throw at the people questioning/leaving. They don't have good answers, otherwise, the Q15/Q70 would be front and center leading the wanders back to the fold. Instead, they hide behind the apologists and their internally contradictory books.
The leadership is full of corporate MBA and lawyer types. There is very little room at those levels for a theologian, which is actually a threat to them. That is why the need for the polemic apologists.

Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Does anyone know if any of the brethren are behind Gee's new book? It might be too early to tell since it is due to come out on Amazon on May 11, 2020. It's not surprising that it is listed on the Fair site, but I wonder if some of the brethren are recommending this.
I sincerely doubt it. There may be the odd General Authority who is friendly to Gee, but I sincerely doubt that this has any legitimate support from the Brethren. Gee has basically been a Mopologetic punching bag for the past 20 years: he was given the absolute worst and toughest assignment that any Mopologist can get--i.e., defending the Book of Abraham. And he's been mired in controversy and scandal all the way: the two-inks fiasco; the fact that he was ditched by his dissertation Chair; the devastating critiques from Ritner; and so on. One of the best measures of his status vis-à-vis the Brethren is the fact that he was passed over for work on the JSP project: they went with Hauglid instead, hence some of the sour grapes. Then again, someone *did* help Gee escape the Maxwell Institute. And I guess that, at the end of the day, we have to ask: How much risk is involved if one of the Brethren privately encourages Gee's work? It's basically meaningless, and there is no way to prove whether it's sincere or not. Given that the PR for this has only come from Gee himself so far, I think you can see which way the wind is blowing.

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

moksha wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:24 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
It's more evidence that they just want something/anything to throw at the people questioning/leaving.
Perhaps they reasoned that apologetic books would leave greater welts when thrown with sufficient force.
:lol: :lol: :lol: