Survey finds Atheists are persecuted in Utah

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
I have a question
God

Survey finds Atheists are persecuted in Utah

Post by I have a question »

“Reality Check: Being Nonreligious in America” is a comprehensive report drawn from the U.S. Secular Survey, described in a release as “the largest ever data collection project on secular Americans and their experiences.” It was organized by a team of researchers at Strength in Numbers Consulting group and surveyed 34,000 nonreligious participants, including 554 Utahns.
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/05 ... cond-most/
The survey discovered that, “due to their nonreligious identity, more than half the participants (54.5%) had negative experiences with family members, nearly a third (29.4%) in education, and more than one in five (21.7%) in the workplace,” said the release. “Of those who experienced discrimination within their families, there was a 73.3% higher rate of likely depression.”
The survey, released Tuesday, also found a clear correlation between how religious a state is and how much discrimination secular residents experienced in it.
“Nonreligious participants living in very religious communities were nearly 2.5 times more likely to experience negative events in education than in nonreligious communities, nearly 2.5 times more likely to experience negative events in public services (for example, voting, jury duty, poll work), more than three times more likely in employment, and more than two times more likely when dealing with private businesses,” according to a summary of the survey results. “Moreover, participants living in very religious communities experienced nearly 40% more stigma than those in ‘not-at-all-religious’ communities.”
One unnamed woman in Utah said that she “was told by my counselor at a state-run mental health office that my problems were due to leaving church and that I needed to go back to church.”
American Atheists’ Utah director, Dan Ellis, said he “never received satisfactory answers” from Latter-day Saint leaders to his questions, so he stopped going to worship services.
“When I came out as an atheist, I experienced discrimination from family members,” he said in the release, “and I lost friends — even ones who weren’t particularly religious.”
Mormons don’t shun?

Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Re: Survey finds Atheists are persecuted in Utah

Post by Holy Ghost »

Sounds like Dan Ellis is just one of the "unruly children" that Uchtdorf spoke of a month ago.