Master Timeline of Mopologetics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: Master Timeline of Mopologetics

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Yes: this is going to wind up being an invaluable historical resource. Many kudos to you, Reverend. The timeline is already impressive, but there are some items--just going off the top of my head--which could be included:

--The 2nd Watson Letter / Ogden Fax, which occurred around 2009/2010, if memory serves.
--There was a whole series of things that happened in connection with Grant Palmer: Midgley showing up to scream obscenities as a vigil (allegedly); Allen Wyatt 'cybersquatting' on domain names in an effort to squelch pro-Palmer fundraising efforts; all those "hit piece" articled that appeared in the Review, etc.
--I think there needs to be some mention of RfM in here: that was a major target of the Mopologists during the early 2000s.
--In fact, there are a number of crucial battles/wars that could be included: there is a whole long timeline related to the Mopologists' war with the Heartlanders. There was that scuffle involving the Mormon Transhumanists. There was a protracted war with John Dehlin and Mormon Stories. For a number of years, the Mopologists' main enemies were EVs and counterculture ministries; the turning point seems to have been DCP's "Reflections on Secular Anti-Mormonism," which he delivered--if memory serves--in 2004 or 2005. That, to me, was a pivotal moment, since it marked a shift from focusing on EVs and countercult ministries and over to secular critics and ex-Mormon critics, such as the ones on RfM or....this board. Yet another battle was fought with the "Mormon Studies" people who assumed control of the MI. Etc., etc.
--I think there should be some mention here of Midgley's, uh, "visit" to the Tanners' bookstore, and subsequent boasting about it.
--I'd definitely include the revelation that, according to tax records, Daniel Peterson was paid more than $20,000 to serve as Chair of FARMS.
--You could include the plans to build a FARMS "ziggurat" on the BYU campus.
--I would also include the incident where DCP said "You go to hell!" to Blair Hodges at the FAIR Conference.

There are so many.... Let me think about this in more detail, and I'll probably have more to add.

Thanks again, Reverend!

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Oh, the CES Letter definitely should be on this.

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

October 2016
Radio Free Mormon begins to launch podcasts beginning with The Great Mormon History Coverup.

Also, TODAY, RFM just released a BOMB SHELL!

SPECIAL REPORT–MTC Sex Scandal Cover-Up

The Church is in big trouble now.

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

I can't remember when it happened, but you ought to include the establishment of the much-hyped "The World Table" and how it was going to change online communication forever, but then it crashed, burned, and was sent down the memory hole about three months later.

I have a question
God

Post by I have a question »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:37 pm
October 2016
Radio Free Mormon begins to launch podcasts beginning with The Great Mormon History Coverup.

Doesn't that deserve it's own thread?

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:20 pm
Oh, the CES Letter definitely should be on this.
I am glad my humble project has attracted your attention, Doctor. You are, after all, the chief historian of Mopologetics, the one who has, year in and year out, identified the most important events in that history. I will do my best to add in their proper places the items you have brought up. If, however, you find the dates before I do, please let me know.

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:14 am
I can't remember when it happened, but you ought to include the establishment of the much-hyped "The World Table" and how it was going to change online communication forever, but then it crashed, burned, and was sent down the memory hole about three months later.
Yes, World Table is a necessary addition. Thank you, Dr. Shades!

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

What's weird is the World Table got a foothold as the SLTrib's comments section moderation app. It's almost universally despised, and it's not uncommon to see a comment here and there bitching about it.

- Doc

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:37 pm
October 2016

Thank you, Shulem. RFM’s entrance onto the scene is an important date. I will want to consult you about your history too.

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

When did Drs. Peterson and Midgley join FARMS?

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

A few more come to mind. I would be happy to help hunt down dates.

* Publication of the gospel topics essays
* Holland scolding the MI
* Escalation in speeches from LDS authorities on doubts & questions about history (Holland, Renlund, Corbridge, HJ Eyring)
* Pre-empting of Wayment's forthcoming JST article with a translation essay addenda
* Year in Polygamy started
* Vogel's Joseph Smith biography
* Vogel's BofA videos published
* Hales: Joseph Smith's Polygamy
* Jana Reiss: The Next Mormons
* Ostler: Bridges: Ministering to Those Who Question

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

Dr Moore wrote: A few more come to mind. I would be happy to help hunt down dates.

* Publication of the gospel topics essays
HOLD on! I feel the Spirit. Let me go to Mormon Think and track down those links and dates and compile an easy list for the above.

Stem
God

Post by Stem »

2005 ended with the release of Rough Stone Rolling, and merry Smithmas. Such a big Mormon year, it felt, but little notice in the world of mopologetics.

Oh also in 2005 was the The Worlds of Joseph Smith conference:
https://byustudies.BYU.edu/content/worlds-joseph-smith

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Stem wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:06 pm
2005 ended with the release of Rough Stone Rolling, and merry Smithmas. Such a big Mormon year, it felt, but little notice in the world of mopologetics.
Apologists even deny that Smithmas happened back in 2005.

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

CHURCH ESSAYS

8 December The Church released the first Essay Race and the Priesthood which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Race and the Priesthood - Response to LDS.org

November The Church released the Essay First Vision Accounts which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at The First Vision - Response to LDS.org and The First Vision

17 December The Church released the Essay Plural Marriage and Families in Early Utah which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Plural Marriage and Families in Early Utah - Response to LDS.org

30 December The Church released the Essay Book of Mormon Translation which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Book of Mormon Translation - Response to LDS.org

31 January The Church released the Essay Book of Mormon and DNA Studies which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Book of Mormon and DNA Studies - Response to LDS.org

January The Church released the Essay Are Mormons Christian? which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Are Mormons Christian? - Response to LDS.org

The Church released the Essay Becoming Like God which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Becoming Like God - Response to LDS.org

12 May The Church released the Essay Peace and Violence among 19th-Century Latter-day Saints which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Peace & Violence among 19th-Century Latter-day Saints - Response to LDS.org

8 July The Church released the Essay Translation and Historicity of the Book of Abraham which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Translation and Historicity of the Book of Abraham - Response to LDS.org

22 October The Church released the Essay Plural Marriage in Kirtland and Nauvoo which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Plural Marriage in Kirtland & Nauvoo - Response to LDS.org

22 October The Church released the Essay The Manifesto and the End of Plural Marriage which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at The Manifesto and the End of Plural Marriage - Response to LDS.org

23 October The Church released the Essay Mother in Heaven which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Mother in Heaven - Response to LDS.org

23 October The Church released the Essay Joseph Smith’s Teachings about Priesthood, Temple, and Women which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Joseph Smith's Teachings about Priesthood, Temple, and Women - Response to LDS.org

Tom
Savior (resurrected)

Post by Tom »

A few notes:

I'd note that the Spring 1988 issue of the FARMS newsletter Insights announced that FARMS would publish an annual review of books on the Book of Mormon and that Daniel Peterson had "agreed to serve as editor."

Volume 3 of Review of Books on the Book of Mormon is published. Daniel C. Peterson, Assistant Professor of Islamic Studies and Arabic at BYU, is editor.

This is too detailed for a timeline, but I am reminded of the infamous line in that volume: "Korihor's back, and this time he's got a printing press" (from Stephen Robinson's review of Dan Vogel, ed., The Word of God). The May 1991 issue of Insights quoted this line and described Rodger Anderson's Joseph Smith's New York Reputation Reexamined as "expressly anti-Mormon." This set off a kerfuffle between FARMS and Signature Books that included a letter sent to FARMS by an attorney representing Signature Books demanding that FARMS publish a retraction and apology in its newsletter (one perspective on the episode is provided by Dr. Peterson in his introduction to volume 4 of RBBM). The July 1991 issue of Insights featured a carefully worded "Correction or Clarification."

Tom
Savior (resurrected)

Post by Tom »

Michael D. Rhodes, former professor of physics at the Air Force Academy, joins the FARMS Board as he pursues a Ph.D. at BYU.
William Hamblin inserts an acrostic reading, "Metcalfe is Butthead" in issue 6.1 of Review of Books on the Book of Mormon. The incident was reported in Deseret News on March 22/23.
I might note that issue 6.1 was devoted entirely to New Approaches to the Book of Mormon (or, perhaps, note the book's publication in 1993).

Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Post by Holy Ghost »

I've heard that Daniel Peterson testified in the trial of the abductor of Elizabeth Smart, and that he threatened legal action against this board. I have no idea about that, why this board would perhaps be considered for legal action by Peterson because he was testifying in the Smart case or when that might have been. If that really happened, that might be worth including in the timeline.

Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Post by Holy Ghost »

Holy Ghost wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:31 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:48 pm

That's definitely in the plan, HG. The TIME Lightbox photo essay had some rather rustic-looking photos of Mormons, iirc.
Rustic-looking photos set off the Mopologists? Sounds pretty thin-skinned to me.
If someone has a link to the photos, I'd like to take a look.

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Holy Ghost wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:08 pm
I've heard that Daniel Peterson testified in the trial of the abductor of Elizabeth Smart, and that he threatened legal action against this board. I have no idea about that, why this board would perhaps be considered for legal action by Peterson because he was testifying in the Smart case or when that might have been. If that really happened, that might be worth including in the timeline.
Good call, Holy Ghost. That happened towards the end of 2009, if I'm not mistaken. Basically, Dr. Peterson was called as a witness in the trial--I believe he was testifying that Mitchell was "competent" to stand trial, and some of the folks here began needling DCP. One person--Infymus, I believe--threatened to send a link of DCP's postings on the old FAIR board (such as where he bashes Calvinists, the folks at RfM, and so on) to Mitchell's defense lawyers, and at that point, DCP went ballistic. Peterson sent a very aggressive message to Dr. Shades, threatening to "go after the board." DCP has actually threatened legal action many, many times, but as is so often the case with the Mopologists, the threats were quite hollow.

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Thanks for the continuing assistance in adding to the MToM. I will continue to peck away at it as I have the opportunity to do so.