Jersey Girl doesn't like streets of gold in bible heaven

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
Son of Perdition

Jersey Girl doesn't like streets of gold in bible heaven

Post by Shulem »

I'm saving this little gem just in case I someday get the urge to argue about it. :wink:
Jersey Girl wrote:I don't care for the descriptions of heaven as having streets of gold. If ever there were a human construct, that's one of them.
Indeed it is a human construct, 'one' of many found throughout the bible, arguably a man-made book. Oh yes, gold was very important to the God of the bible. The religion of Jehovah loved gold. The Christ child got his fair share too. Gold!

Gold, give me gold!

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Re: Jersey Girl doesn't like streets of gold in bible heaven

Post by Shulem »

Well said:
Philo Sofee wrote:Yeah dirt roads more usually lead to the most gorgeous scenery, at least here on earth...... sometimes the road to happiness is not paved... but yeah, the gold streets thingy.....never made sense to me at all. Gold is only valued by us, since it is so rare, HERE on our planet.I admit it does have some incredibly interesting properties, but then again, each and every element does as well.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Why is what I said news to you? I'm sure I've said it before here. Streets paved with gold and no sea? Not my idea of a heaven. If you think I didn't know that when I labeled it as a "human construct" someone would take the ball and run with it, you don't know me very well. ;-) I almost always know where I'm going with something when I make a post so yeah, I intentionally tossed that card on the table.

So anyway, of course the streets of gold is a blatant representation of what humans value. I suppose on some level you could say that the interpreters of God drew from what they thought was most precious in the material world while neglecting the spiritual side.

Not my problem. I think I see it for what it is.

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:34 pm
Well said:
Philo Sofee wrote:Yeah dirt roads more usually lead to the most gorgeous scenery, at least here on earth...... sometimes the road to happiness is not paved... but yeah, the gold streets thingy.....never made sense to me at all. Gold is only valued by us, since it is so rare, HERE on our planet.I admit it does have some incredibly interesting properties, but then again, each and every element does as well.
Philo Sofee is my spirit animal. No surprises there. :-)

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

Jersey Girl" wrote:Why is what I said news to you?
Because I'm seeing it for the first time or fail to remember something I've seen before.
Jersey Girl" wrote:I'm sure I've said it before here.
Perhaps you have but not to my recollection.
Jersey Girl" wrote: Streets paved with gold and no sea? Not my idea of a heaven.
Then I guess you won't be going there?
Jersey Girl" wrote:If you think I didn't know that when I labeled it as a "human construct" someone would take the ball and run with it, you don't know me very well. ;-)
Oh, but maybe I do. I wanted to be the first to pick up the ball and run with it. I simply couldn't resist the golden construct.
Jersey Girl" wrote:I almost always know where I'm going with something when I make a post so yeah, I intentionally tossed that card on the table.
When I saw you toss lady luck on the table, I knew I'd score.
Jersey Girl" wrote:So anyway, of course the streets of gold is a blatant representation of what humans value.
And what God in the bible values too since his streets are paved with it. His throne too, no doubt.
Jersey Girl" wrote: I suppose on some level you could say that the interpreters of God drew from what they thought was most precious in the material world while neglecting the spiritual side.
I suppose I could say that. I could also say that interpreters of God, NOT God, wrote the bible. They lusted and wrote about what was precious to them when they claimed to see visions of heaven.
Jersey Girl" wrote:Not my problem. I think I see it for what it is.
It will be your problem if you have no sea!

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

So, just how important is gold to the Christian mindset when it comes to getting to heaven and being with Jesus? How important is gold to Jesus, the angels, and the whole heavenly scene? Never mind what earthly man thinks but let's take a peek at what the heaven's think through grand Revelations of Saint John the Divine:
Rev 3:18 wrote: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
It's nice to have clothes on our physical bodies so we don't get cold or have everyone see our nakedness and perhaps laugh. Buying up gold seems to be important to Christians like a treasure in heaven. Although you can't take it with you when you die but apparently you can "buy" it in heaven or whatever else that gold represents. But the point is, it's the gold that is valuable and it's for sale through Jesus.
Rev 4:4 wrote:And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold
Crowns of gold not crowns of silver or copper, but only the best for the Christian elders -- gold! Sure, one could say that unlike the white raiment, which was literally real lest they be seen naked, the crowns were figurative and only a symbol. But the point is that power and wealth are seen through the Christian eye by one who wears a golden crown with gold purchased from Jesus.
Rev 1:13 wrote: And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle
The golden Jesus makes his appearance. A golden girdle! Imagine how it shines with luster! Golden Jesus!
Rev 1:20 wrote:The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.
Seven Christian churches made of gold. Where your heart is there will be also be your treasure which is gold purchased by Jesus. It's the promise of gold. What could be better than gold?
Rev 5:8 wrote:And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.
Everything is gold. Without gold how could you be happy? There must be gold in heaven for the Christians to enjoy and adore. Pray for gold!
Rev 8:3 wrote:And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.
God, Jesus, and angels make it crystal clear what's important in heaven. Gold. There must be gold. The very altar and the censer must be gold because gold is important to God, Jesus, angels, and man. Without gold, what would heaven be for a Christian?
Rev 14:14 wrote:And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle
Dear Jesus:

Must you wear a golden crown? Please, take it off, remove it. It's not necessary to prove how important you are. Just take the crown off and forget about wearing gold on your body. It's not important. It's worldly and it doesn't impress me at all.

Sincerely,

Shulem

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:07 pm
Shulem wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:34 pm
Well said:

Philo Sofee is my spirit animal. No surprises there. :-)
You honor me too greatly oh lovely one.........I shall, however, be an animal you can be proud of and enjoy being around in life, as I do you.

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:29 pm
Gold, give me gold!
Quoting from Donald Trump, eh?

msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

I find it interesting that people who may reject a literal flood in the book of Genesis are so quick take things in the other end of the book as literal.

Imwashingmypirate
Lip gloss eater

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

I don't think the heavens are paved with anything.
I think if we knew something and were to try to explain it to someone that can't even begin to comprehend that thing, then we might make comparisons and analogies to things they do understand.

canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:04 pm
I don't think the heavens are paved with anything.
That sounds problematic. Maybe next month will be Infrastructure Month in heaven.

And who gets to drive the Golden Steamroller?