A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
candygal
God
Posts: 1430
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 8:38 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by candygal »

Kind of leave it be..I know the friend who is also my friend. This friend is probably aware of this thread. Time..maybe you will hear directly. But I do respect this friends interest in being relatively silent. Hugs to all. I just finally got into this board from the chaos ..so it is nice to see the threads again.

User avatar
Physics Guy
God
Posts: 1205
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Physics Guy »

Lemmie wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:26 am
I have a sibling who blesses his religion for getting him through his hard days, and I will note it does personally seem to do him good, but his version of religion also requires him to righteously shun me and my family, because we don’t practice his exact religion. Whether we are good, decent, honest people is irrelevant to him. God bless religion? Sure, it helps him a lot. At the expense of those his religion asks him to hate. So, no. NOT god bless religion. In my opinion, go to ____ hell, “religion.”

Just because religion has been around and used for a long time doesn’t necessarily make it the best, better, or even good as a patch. Plenty of patches are available that don’t contain the hatred for fellow men that religion has the capacity to spawn.
That's one of the important points about evolution, that features don't have to be optimal to proliferate. They just have to be better than the competition. The fact that religion has some efficacy doesn't mean that it's as good as it should be. It just means that it's not something to underestimate. Religion might not be great but it's not idiotic, any more than sharp teeth and horns are idiotic.

Distinctions that can seem fine from one point of view can still be hugely important. The idea that the shunning of unbelievers must intrinsically be bundled with any hope for larger meaning in life is itself one of the stupid ideas that does not have to be part of the bundle.

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10218
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Lemmie »


Distinctions that can seem fine from one point of view can still be hugely important. The idea that the shunning of unbelievers must intrinsically be bundled with any hope for larger meaning in life is itself one of the stupid ideas that does not have to be part of the bundle.
One would think so. And yet, there that stupid idea is observed, over and over and over, in the LDS religion. Recently an LDS leader reminded his flock that in heaven, the good followers would certainly be separated from the bad non-followers, familial relationships notwithstanding. It would seem that the LDS God’s after-life threat strengthens the case for in-life LDS shunning. At least for his believers.

I have a question
God
Posts: 9631
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:01 am

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by I have a question »

Lemmie wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:48 am

Distinctions that can seem fine from one point of view can still be hugely important. The idea that the shunning of unbelievers must intrinsically be bundled with any hope for larger meaning in life is itself one of the stupid ideas that does not have to be part of the bundle.
One would think so. And yet, there that stupid idea is observed, over and over and over, in the LDS religion. Recently an LDS leader reminded his flock that in heaven, the good followers would certainly be separated from the bad non-followers, familial relationships notwithstanding. It would seem that the LDS God’s after-life threat strengthens the case for in-life LDS shunning. At least for his believers.
An LDS leader (I think it may have been Oaks) at a recent Conference explained to members that there may be periods when they should cut ties from family members who weren't righteously following the Mormon faith, to protect their own faith and to teach the rebellious family member(s) a lesson. Because God is good.

User avatar
Doctor CamNC4Me
God
Posts: 21210
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

“Religion might not be great but it's not idiotic, any more than sharp teeth and horns are idiotic.”

Well. Hrm. I get what you’re saying, but idiocy in terms of god-belief seems a bit more... complicit... than horns and teeth when it comes to things like Jim Bakker selling his ‘silver solution’ to cure the virus:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronav ... 25266.html

tl;dr - Christian lies for money.

Your quote above slightly confuses me because it almost feels like an evolutionary trait cum design flaw is something that can’t be fixed. And you might be right.

- Doc

DoubtingThomas
God
Posts: 4536
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 am

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by DoubtingThomas »

Lemmie wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:53 am
I always wonder when I read things like this. I enjoy this board as a source of ongoing friendship and interaction with people, many of whom seem to have similar backgrounds or a pretty solid understanding of the common, born and raised LDS background.
That is not true. Do you wonder why the board is not great? Out of curiosity what is your rate my professor score?

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10218
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Lemmie »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:47 am
Lemmie wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:53 am
I always wonder when I read things like this. I enjoy this board as a source of ongoing friendship and interaction with people, many of whom seem to have similar backgrounds or a pretty solid understanding of the common, born and raised LDS background.
That is not true. Do you wonder why the board is not great? Out of curiosity what is your rate my professor score?
Sigh. Here we go again.
DoubtingThomas wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:25 pm

I admitted that Mormon Discussions is my punching bag. I do regret it, I am just trying to get it over with and clear my name.

DoubtingThomas
God
Posts: 4536
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 am

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by DoubtingThomas »

Lemmie wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:58 am

Sigh. Here we go again.
I tolerate your abuse and insults, but I cannot respect bad professors. Because you have a lot of time to troll and play games with me it means you are obviously a really bad professor.

Lemmie wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:53 am
I enjoy this board as a source of ongoing friendship and interaction with people, many of whom seem to have similar backgrounds or a pretty solid understanding of the common, born and raised LDS background.

User avatar
Jersey Girl
God
Posts: 33471
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Jersey Girl »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:47 am
Lemmie wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:53 am
I always wonder when I read things like this. I enjoy this board as a source of ongoing friendship and interaction with people, many of whom seem to have similar backgrounds or a pretty solid understanding of the common, born and raised LDS background.
That is not true. Do you wonder why the board is not great? Out of curiosity what is your rate my professor score?

In your opinion, what part of her comments is not true?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

User avatar
Jersey Girl
God
Posts: 33471
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Jersey Girl »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:03 pm
I tolerate your abuse and insults, but I cannot respect bad professors. Because you have a lot of time to troll and play games with me it means you are obviously a really bad professor.
DT do you consider going back through an old thread to dig out a quote Lemmie made in April of this year to bump up the thread and make accusations...an example of you tolerating her abuse and insults?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

DoubtingThomas
God
Posts: 4536
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 am

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by DoubtingThomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:19 pm
DoubtingThomas wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:03 pm
I tolerate your abuse and insults, but I cannot respect bad professors. Because you have a lot of time to troll and play games with me it means you are obviously a really bad professor.
DT do you consider going back through an old thread to dig out a quote Lemmie made in April of this year to bump up the thread and make accusations...an example of you tolerating her abuse and insults?
I just have to ignore her. Hopefully she ignores me.

User avatar
Jersey Girl
God
Posts: 33471
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Jersey Girl »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:24 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:19 pm


DT do you consider going back through an old thread to dig out a quote Lemmie made in April of this year to bump up the thread and make accusations...an example of you tolerating her abuse and insults?
I just have to ignore her. Hopefully she ignores me.
Would you like me to count up the number of times you have said that? I got a little time on my hands, I don't mind at all.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

User avatar
Jersey Girl
God
Posts: 33471
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Jersey Girl »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:47 am
Lemmie wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:53 am
I always wonder when I read things like this. I enjoy this board as a source of ongoing friendship and interaction with people, many of whom seem to have similar backgrounds or a pretty solid understanding of the common, born and raised LDS background.
That is not true. Do you wonder why the board is not great? Out of curiosity what is your rate my professor score?
FYI: Rate my Professor is bulls-hit.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

User avatar
Jersey Girl
God
Posts: 33471
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Jersey Girl »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:03 pm

I tolerate your abuse and insults, but I cannot respect bad professors. Because you have a lot of time to troll and play games with me it means you are obviously a really bad professor.
It's difficult at this point, to tell just who is doing the trolling. That you think she has time to troll and play games here is not an indication of her professional performance, it means she's got good time management skills.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

DoubtingThomas
God
Posts: 4536
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 am

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by DoubtingThomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:36 pm

FYI: Rate my Professor is bulls-hit.
It may not be perfect, but I think it is really good. Why do you say it is bull?

User avatar
Jersey Girl
God
Posts: 33471
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Jersey Girl »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:39 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:36 pm

FYI: Rate my Professor is bulls-hit.
It may not be perfect, but I think it is really good. Why do you say it is bull?
Because the negative reviews appear to be from students who can't cut it. It is certainly not to be taken as a professional assessment.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

DoubtingThomas
God
Posts: 4536
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 am

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by DoubtingThomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:38 pm

It's difficult at this point, to tell just who is doing the trolling. That you think she has time to troll and play games here is not an indication of her professional performance, it means she's got good time management skills.
It is a good point and it is possible. But a lot professors have TAs that do all the grading for them, and some professors are never available during office hours. A good professor is always quick to answer emails, is always available during office hours, and is involved in many projects and research.

But you may be right, some people are just excellent in time management.

DoubtingThomas
God
Posts: 4536
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 am

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by DoubtingThomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:40 pm

Because the negative reviews appear to be from students who can't cut it. It is certainly not to be taken as a professional assessment.
A lot of professors have a difficulty rating of 5, but with positive reviews. Students tend to be honest and are really smart. I think rate my professor is really useful, but it has its limits.

Post Reply