A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
User avatar
msnobody
Prophet
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by msnobody »

Lemmie wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:23 pm
msnobody wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:25 pm

It is really good to see old online acquaintances on here. There was a day when more folks here would have been relentlessly firing away at me. I guess we're all mellowing out in our old age. Seriously, I love you guys. I'm thankful for Analytics posting the thread on ZMLB years ago and inviting me to read the replies, and to Dr. Shades for inviting me here and allowing me to be me.
Fascinating. My response to msnobody was completely ignored by her, but I suppose being ignored by an evangelist who refuses to engage and only witnesses is not really a problem, is it? She “loves you guys”, you old timers! How fun for you.
Not ignored. Even though you're making fun of me, I love you youngin's too.

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10202
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Lemmie »

Dup
Last edited by Lemmie on Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10202
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Lemmie »


Our feelings are faulty, but you can know, you just haven’t found that out yet,
No. You are factually wrong. Learn some science.

I can explain in a PM, but I’m not going to post any more about that on the thread. It takes energy to post here and engage persons with views opposed to your own and in a way they will halfway accept.
That’s okay, you don’t need to PM. I post here for fun and for interactions with my friends, not for the onerous task of being converted.

In that sense, how does one “reach the end of any benefit” to a discussion board? I’m not so introverted that I can imagine deciding to keep living but that it’s time to stop having interactions with other humans, whether in person or online.
I think maybe it could be the topics discussed, sometimes over and over, or maybe getting to a place where you just move on, find a new community, or move on to focusing more time on other things, interacting with humans outside an online discussion board.
So... you missed my point entirely.

Not ignored. Even though you're making fun of me, I love you youngin's too.
Oh brother. You are in my generation, you nice old ____. Although I sincerely hope I don’t sound as condescending as you do when I put on a few more years and reach your count!

Be safe.

User avatar
Doctor CamNC4Me
God
Posts: 21181
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

[quote=msnobody post_id=1221640 time=1586830920 user_id=23]Why is my friend aware of this board?

I assume back in the day, there weren't a lot of places like this to go to. I don't remember but a handful when I encountered Mormonism in about 2002, and I think there weren't but a couple of directions a questioning LDS could go for online discussion at the time. I really didn't probe the question, I thought about asking, but didn't. I felt like I already knew the answer without having to ask. I got the idea that my friend feels like maybe they've reached the end of any benefit this or any like discussion board may offer. And, I suppose, wondered about the reason I'm here. I mean, this stuff has been rehashed over and over for many years.[/quote]

So. Waitaminute.

1) You guys were reminiscing, she was aware of this board, but did she participate here?

2) And, in fact, there were plenty of LDS themed boards with more going on “back in the day”. What boards did she post on?

3) If she participated here, what years more or less did she do it?

Why not send her a note, and have her touch bases with us. It’ll be nice to make a new friend, or, renew an old friendship.

- Doc

User avatar
msnobody
Prophet
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by msnobody »

-Doc, re: 1), 2), 3), I just can’t go there and won’t, out of respect for my friend. Please stop pushing me on this. Besides, it really makes no difference.

User avatar
msnobody
Prophet
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by msnobody »

Lemmie wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:10 pm

Our feelings are faulty, but you can know, you just haven’t found that out yet,
No. You are factually wrong. Learn some science.

I can explain in a PM, but I’m not going to post any more about that on the thread. It takes energy to post here and engage persons with views opposed to your own and in a way they will halfway accept.
That’s okay, you don’t need to PM. I post here for fun and for interactions with my friends, not for the onerous task of being converted.

I think maybe it could be the topics discussed, sometimes over and over, or maybe getting to a place where you just move on, find a new community, or move on to focusing more time on other things, interacting with humans outside an online discussion board.
So... you missed my point entirely.

Not ignored. Even though you're making fun of me, I love you youngin's too.
Oh brother. You are in my generation, you nice old ____. Although I sincerely hope I don’t sound as condescending as you do when I put on a few more years and reach your count!

Be safe.
Okay

Okay

Maybe I did miss your point entirely.

By no means Is it my intention to convey a sense of superiority. How it is perceived is out of my control. Not sure if you’re talking about evangelizing or something else, but with regard to evangelizing, I view myself and others on level ground with all other people. Likewise, I will also have to give an account to the creator.

User avatar
Dr Exiled
God
Posts: 3351
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Dr Exiled »

msnobody wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:21 am
-Doc, re: 1), 2), 3), I just can’t go there and won’t, out of respect for my friend. Please stop pushing me on this. Besides, it really makes no difference.
I guess if it made no difference, then why mention the "friend" in the first place? I think you have to admit that mentioning the friend makes your trip to Gomorrah, as it were, more of a quest when the "friend" is questioning it. It adds to the importance of you mission. The "friend" supposedly says that it isn't worth the ridicule, but you soldier on for Jesus, right?

User avatar
Dr Exiled
God
Posts: 3351
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Dr Exiled »

Here is another couple of thoughts:

Don't you think that the mere mentioning of the "friend" and the "friend's" reservations of you coming to a place such as this puts those here immediately on the defensive? However, your soldiering on attitude, despite the "friend's" reservations, also immediately gives everyone the impression that you think you are in a superior position?

I think rule number one about witnessing is to not act as though you are in a superior position, sacrificing to come save the supposed sinners when you don't have any proof at all for what you are saying other than your misguided belief that you are better because of your belief in a myth.

User avatar
Doctor CamNC4Me
God
Posts: 21181
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

So. Here's my take, because I think you're full of ____.

1) Your fictional friend, the thing that gave you license to open a front to peddle your Middle Eastern religion, doesn't exist and thus didn't actually participate here.

2) You probably are creating an amalgamation of various posters in your mind from various Mormon-related boards and have created the "friend".

3) You're "just not going to go there" because there's no there there.

The only way you can salvage this mess is to ACTUALLY be a practising Christian, admit you lied, stop lying, and act in good faith with the participants here. We don't want to be talked at because this is a DISCUSSION board, and you don't just get to invent some reason to start yammering at us about your Jewish mythology without pushback when you've disrespected our collective intelligences. Gmafb.

- Doc

User avatar
msnobody
Prophet
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by msnobody »


I guess if it made no difference, then why mention the "friend" in the first place? I think you have to admit that mentioning the friend makes your trip to Gomorrah, as it were, more of a quest when the "friend" is questioning it. It adds to the importance of you mission. The "friend" supposedly says that it isn't worth the ridicule, but you soldier on for Jesus, right?
It never crossed my mind that this aspect of the OP would be so latched onto and would become such a source of angst for a handful of readers. Would you like for me to start a new thread without the friend part? :wink: Would it make any difference? J/K, I wouldn’t do that.

“Gomorrah?” Now you’re insulting my online community!

User avatar
Dr Exiled
God
Posts: 3351
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Dr Exiled »

msnobody wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:15 pm

I guess if it made no difference, then why mention the "friend" in the first place? I think you have to admit that mentioning the friend makes your trip to Gomorrah, as it were, more of a quest when the "friend" is questioning it. It adds to the importance of you mission. The "friend" supposedly says that it isn't worth the ridicule, but you soldier on for Jesus, right?
It never crossed my mind that this aspect of the OP would be so latched onto and would become such a source of angst for a handful of readers. Would you like for me to start a new thread without the friend part? :wink: Would it make any difference? J/K, I wouldn’t do that.

“Gomorrah?” Now you’re insulting my online community!
I don't know if the cat can be put back now. To me, it really isn't that big of a deal, a little irritating though. It's obvious you have at least a little condescension and wanted to point this out to us here by relating what your friend supposedly said. Why on earth would someone such as you want to come to a place like this? It must be your burning desire to witness, obviously, a desire so strong that you would deign come here. However, it looks a little feigned and a little patronizing.

I don't see how you could have that attitude, given the lack of evidence supporting your position. Yet, you are here so, maybe you could tell me how your life is supposedly better being a Christian? I don't see why believing that Jesus supposedly died for sins makes a bit of difference. So much is based on presumptions of offending a God that isn't here, and doesn't show himself. It looks like it is made up. There isn't evidence for the flood, Abraham, Noah or Adam. The bible is contradictory and the God of the Old Testament is someone I don't want to be around. The earth is billions of years old and evolution is a thing - think of how the corona virus may mutate into a different organism and evade whatever vaccine is manufactured.

If I said to you that you need to do this or that because a very powerful individual spoke to me and said you needed to do it, you wouldn't trust me, especially if I said you can't see him and can only supposedly feel his presence.

User avatar
Jersey Girl
God
Posts: 33461
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Jersey Girl »

msnobody wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:21 pm
Where are you EAllusion? I don't know if you coined the term "perma-saved," but I've always given you credit for it.

Edited to say, Hah! How cool is it that when you type E A, EAllusion replaces it? You must have reached your highest exaltation.
EAllusion is here. He usually spends his time in the Paradise Forum where folks are trying to see who can out-ugly each other much like they are on this thread. You got the magic touch, Weaps! :lol:

User avatar
honorentheos
God
Posts: 10759
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by honorentheos »

Saw this thread a while back and thought Cam must be missing his conflict fix that this had to tied him through the drought of regular posting. Then it snowballed even bigger which surprised me. Still does.

For what it's worth, msnobody, while it's not my day today nor will it likely ever be, I appreciated the thought behind your OP, and what seem to me to be genuine motives of goodwill. Rowdy bunch that we are here, it's kinda funny that the OP beginning with someone wondering why someone else would post here turned into a display of why someone familiar with the board might justly question that. Especially of someone who professes faith and belief in Christ.

Good ol' MormonDiscussions.com.

User avatar
Doctor CamNC4Me
God
Posts: 21181
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I’m not the one lying here, Honor.

- Doc

User avatar
honorentheos
God
Posts: 10759
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by honorentheos »

Never said you were. Just that you picked a fight where the best explanation seems to be you weren't getting enough conflict in your life with the board struggling as it was.

I don't see any reason to believe msnobody made up her friend, but even if she did it's immaterial to me. It IS funny that you proved the friends question was a reasonable one, though.

User avatar
Jersey Girl
God
Posts: 33461
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:54 pm
Saw this thread a while back and thought Cam must be missing his conflict fix that this had to tied him through the drought of regular posting. Then it snowballed even bigger which surprised me. Still does.
Yep.

User avatar
Doctor CamNC4Me
God
Posts: 21181
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

[quote=honorentheos post_id=1222010 time=1587175501 user_id=7137]
Never said you were. Just that you picked a fight where the best explanation seems to be you weren't getting enough conflict in your life with the board struggling as it was.

I don't see any reason to believe msnobody made up her friend, but even if she did it's immaterial to me. It IS funny that you proved the friends question was a reasonable one, though.
[/quote]

I see. Well. Next time an evangelist wants to evangelize on a discussion board I’ll be sure to nod politely, avoid asking a hostile question like, “Who’s your friend?” More importantly when said evangelist flip flops and provides details of the said friend after explicitly stating she wouldn’t, I’ll be sure to not follow up with any more questions about the mysterious figure who was so influential in that she caused Ms. Nobody to feel the need to profess her faith in a Middle Eastern religion and a deep love for us, because that’s not weird at all.

Maybe it’s just me, but if Ms. Nobody simply engaged in polite and honest discourse I wouldn’t be guilty of fulfilling her, uh, friend’s perception of this place.

- Doc

User avatar
honorentheos
God
Posts: 10759
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by honorentheos »

ldsfaqs not playing World of Tanks anymore or something? LOL. A Christian said they feel brotherly/sisterly love for everyone and shared something meaningful to them. I see that as coming from a genuine place. I don't hold it in the same regard as she does, but it's not exactly healthy behavior to see that and just ____ all over it.

I'm sure there will be plenty of political shenanigans to fill your need for conflict now that more people are posting. You'll be fine.

User avatar
msnobody
Prophet
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by msnobody »

I don't know if the cat can be put back now. To me, it really isn't that big of a deal, a little irritating though. It's obvious you have at least a little condescension and wanted to point this out to us here by relating what your friend supposedly said.
I think you’re reading more into it than simply “My friend asked me why I participate on M D B.” In no way do I think I’m superior than any other person here. In fact, I see myself in a lot of people here. No difference. Would any of us be on here if God had not placed eternity in the hearts of men?

Why on earth would someone such as you want to come to a place like this? It must be your burning desire to witness, obviously, a desire so strong that you would deign come here. However, it looks a little feigned and a little patronizing.
I’m still interested in things LDS, interested in other’s point of view on various subjects, history of interaction with fellow board members, to name a few. ***In addition*** to the aforementioned reasons I have given, you stated/asked, “Why on earth would someone such as you want to come to a place like this? It must be your burning desire to witness, obviously, a desire so strong that you would deign come here.” Yes!!! This all goes back to to the Romans 9:1-3 passage in the OP. My brothers, my kinsmen aren’t going to come to me. I’m willing to risk it all for my brothers, my kinsmen; willing to endure anything thrown my way, that maybe even one will know the peace that comes from a relationship with Christ. What you said has really resonated with me, in that, why would someone such as This [Jesus] deign come to a place like this [Golgotha] For such a person as me/us? And for the joy set before him.
Last edited by msnobody on Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
msnobody
Prophet
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by msnobody »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:54 pm
ldsfaqs not playing World of Tanks anymore or something? LOL. A Christian said they feel brotherly/sisterly love for everyone and shared something meaningful to them. I see that as coming from a genuine place. I don't hold it in the same regard as she does, but it's not exactly healthy behavior to see that and just ____ all over it.

I'm sure there will be plenty of political shenanigans to fill your need for conflict now that more people are posting. You'll be fine.
Thank you for your kind words, Honorentheos.

User avatar
msnobody
Prophet
Posts: 877
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: A friend asked why am I here on MormonDiscussions.com

Post by msnobody »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:15 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:54 pm
Saw this thread a while back and thought Cam must be missing his conflict fix that this had to tied him through the drought of regular posting. Then it snowballed even bigger which surprised me. Still does.
Yep.
It’s okay. This place is for persons with varying points of view, and I suppose discussion can come in all shapes and sizes so to speak.

Post Reply