A New Trailer Drops for the "Witnesses" Movie

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: A New Trailer Drops for the "Witnesses" Movie

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I don’t know about you, but I will never be able to view the Plates the same way again. Now, whenever the Plates are mentioned, I’m always going to picture Joseph using the Plates to bash his assailants over the head into unconsciousness.

We all know that Joseph never used the Plates in the translation process, but we can all take comfort in the fact that at least Joseph was able to find a use for the Plates. Namely, as a blunt force weapon.

Mormon and all the ancient prophets didn’t compile the Plates in vain. The were actually crafting a powerful weapon that someday would be used by Joseph Smith.
Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Tom wrote:Did they add sound to the plates hitting the ground? I wish I had downloaded the original.

No, it still sounds like two aluminum hot wheels crashing into each other. In other words, NOT like 50 pounds of gold plates hitting the ground.

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Wasn’t the “chase” supposed to have happened in the dead of night? Joseph returning in the morning, all disheveled and worn out? The preview has a daytime chase.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Moore wrote:Wasn’t the “chase” supposed to have happened in the dead of night? Joseph returning in the morning, all disheveled and worn out? The preview has a daytime chase.

Charlie Kaufman's brother, Donald Kaufman, thought the daytime chase lent a certain cinematic gravitas to the scene, to include 'doink' and 'boink' sound effects for the fight scene (at least until Mr. Peterson decided to ruin it for everyone).

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Understanding the world as an amoral, chaotic system that is in a constant flux of competing entities all driven by an innate biological determinism is both redpilled and blackpilled.

Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

This is just really sloppy film making. If you watch from 1:02 to 1:05 you can clearly see the wireless microphone and wires hanging from the back of Martin Harris (guy in the red shirt kneeling).

DCP, your film needs A LOT of work.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:This is just really sloppy film making. If you watch from 1:02 to 1:05 you can clearly see the wireless microphone and wires hanging from the back of Martin Harris (guy in the red shirt kneeling).

Oh my. Wow. That is sloppy. A million dollars for that?

And i know this is just esthetics, but if you are going to have guy, TWICE, run across a field, could he not be the most pigeon-toed, knock--kneed guy possible?

Spending some of that million dollars on a stunt double here would go a long way.

Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:This is just really sloppy film making. If you watch from 1:02 to 1:05 you can clearly see the wireless microphone and wires hanging from the back of Martin Harris (guy in the red shirt kneeling).

LOL! Hoo-boy, this is a toughie. Splicing in a new sound effect is easy enough (and yeah: where's my "thank you"?), but they may have to make a decision about whether to go in and CGI that out of there, or to cut the shot altogether, or to just "roll with it" and hope that most viewers don't notice. Regardless, it's sort of heartbreaking that this is happening in the earnest, pious scene where the men are all praying together. This is clearly meant to be a quiet, sacred moment, and yet there is that damned microphone.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Doctor Scratch wrote:

LOL! Hoo-boy, this is a toughie. Splicing in a new sound effect is easy enough (and yeah: where's my "thank you"?), but they may have to make a decision about whether to go in and CGI that out of there, or to cut the shot altogether, or to just "roll with it" and hope that most viewers don't notice. Regardless, it's sort of heartbreaking that this is happening in the earnest, pious scene where the men are all praying together. This is clearly meant to be a quiet, sacred moment, and yet there is that damned microphone.

Yes, that's not quite the "professionalism " DCP has been advertising.

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:A few seconds playing with eq even with a basic free sample could have prevented this whole problem in the first place. It's definitely different, no ringing in my ears this time. I actually missed it twice being distracted with something else --- is it just me or did they also block the ability to rewind?

I think they did! I can just imagine DCP saying, "Well, if they're going to nitpick it and make fun of it, then we'll force them to watch the whole thing each time!" LOL!!! They should be thanking us for the free publicity.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:I don’t know about you, but I will never be able to view the Plates the same way again. Now, whenever the Plates are mentioned, I’m always going to picture Joseph using the Plates to bash his assailants over the head into unconsciousness.

We all know that Joseph never used the Plates in the translation process, but we can all take comfort in the fact that at least Joseph was able to find a use for the Plates. Namely, as a blunt force weapon.

Mormon and all the ancient prophets didn’t compile the Plates in vain. The were actually crafting a powerful weapon that someday would be used by Joseph Smith.

Well, of course. This is an "Interpreter" production, meaning that it is also de facto a Mopologetic production, so of course they would need to find a way to smuggle some violence into this film.

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

You know, it occurs to me that all the weird stuff involving the plates was "ordered up" by the Executive Producer. If I'm not mistaken, he mentioned something on "SeN" at one point about how the production was being held up until "acceptable rewrites" of the script were good to go. What do you think that means? "Acceptable" in the eyes of whom, exactly? Because *some*body is going to need to take the blame for this stuff: the almost fetishistic touching and caressing of the plates, plus Joseph Smith swinging the plates as if they are a weapon. Is this really what the script writers came up with? Or was this something where they just had to kind of nod and go along with it--rolling their eyes the whole time--while Peterson et al. sits there and insists that this needs to be in the film? (I hope you've seen The Player--the Altman film from the '90s, with Tim Robbins. I'm willing to be that similar things were at play with the "Witnesses" movie.)

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Everybody WangChung
If you watch from 1:02 to 1:05 you can clearly see the wireless microphone and wires hanging from the back of Martin Harris (guy in the red shirt kneeling).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Too much! This just made my day man.......
"Stupid work deserves to be ridiculed." Very well: stupid Mopologists deserve to be ridiculed, too! -Dr. Scratch-

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Best of Russia & Scandinavia
WITH DANIEL PETERSON, PH.D.

JUL 04, 2020 - JUL 13, 2020
Sail with Daniel Peterson as he enlightens and inspires us with his incredible lectures on sea days. Join our optional tours at the ports to further enhance your journey. Hear Ivan the Terrible, Vidkun Quisling, Grigori Rasputin, and Hans Christian Andersen all bear their witnesses as interpreted by Dr. Peterson. Join us on our private tours at each of the ports to make the most of this incredible journey. Sample Gjetost cheese, lutefisk, and a snifter of orange soda along with Dr. Peterson in Copenhagen's Diagon Alley.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

With all the problems this trailer has, I think what's bothering me the most is the soundtrack. It's not that it's bad, but does it really fit New England in the 19th Century? If it's not directly borrowed from James Paget, it sure as heck was written as homage to Paget. I like Paget's stuff. For those unfamiliar, just look up "Light" or "Throw off Bowlines" and you'll see that you actually are familiar, and go, "Oh yeah! That's it!"

Paget's stuff is cool, but it's like exclusively elf and orc adventure music. I bet it was the Executive Producer's idea. If not requested by name, possibilities were played and he picked this. Recall, the Executive Producer is one of the most devoted fans of Lord of the Rings alive today, and it was only a matter of time until the Joseph Smith story and the adventures of hobbits got crosswired in his mind. So yeah, this becomes the magical real-life epic he's always wanted to believe in.

But while that may work for a few of the TBMs out there, I'm not sure it's really going to connect with people in general. The Church doesn't make great film, but for what it was, How Rare a Possession was something you could show a non-member friend and not cower in embarrassment. In this case, the music is going to prompt viewers into thinking they're going to see angels and all kinds of weird fantasy stuff one might associate with gold bibles. It's a really disjointed combination: The First Vision Story told to epic elf music.
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Maybe because I looked at it on a different device, because I didn’t see this before, but did anyone else notice that the trailer is titled “Witnesses Project Overview” ? Was it named that when it first was posted?

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Holy crap: it just keeps getting better and better. Get a load of these comments on "SeN":

Genealogy wrote:Daniel,

I previously posted this, but you removed it for some reason. If the content is inappropriate please let me know so I can edit this post and remove the offending content.

I'm glad you changed the punching sound effect. It is much better now.

I'm sure the film is still in the initial rough stages and far from the polished finished product, but here are some continuity, and other issues that are being reported:

-If you watch from 1:02 to 1:05 you can clearly see the wireless microphone and wires hanging from the back of Martin Harris (guy in the red shirt kneeling).

-The plates and the bag, look at about 22 seconds in (after they're knocked from the actor's arms). The plates are clearly exposed and you can see a ring. Now check how the plates/bag look at about 33-34 seconds as Joseph tries to reach for them. I see a bag, but I don't see the plates. At 35 seconds in, we see the exposed plates again. At 36 seconds, Joseph grabs the bag and pulls it toward him. I don't see the plates. Then we see the exposed plates again at 36-37 seconds.

-The plates at 1:30 are clearly different than the ones earlier in the trailer. I have to say that the brown tape does not look good. During the fighting, the plates had a “sealed” part on the bottom that really looked like nothing more than brown duct tape wrapped around the bottom third, but later in the clip the plates are fully shown from the same angle, are much bigger, and there are unsealed plates all the way down? No continuity.

-The trailer seems to show these events with the assailants happening in the day, instead of night. Having Joseph use the sacred Golden Plates as a weapon to beat his attacker is not historical and certainly not something one would have expected Joseph to do. What about using his fists, a stick or a rock. Joseph was supposed to protect the Plates with his life and the Plates would probably not be the first thing he would use as a weapon to bash someone over the head with.

-Susan Easton Black,considering her status as emeritus professor of church history--states that critics have resorted to saying that the witnesses saw the plates with their "spiritual eyes." The implication, of course, is that the critics invented this from thin air. Not so; Martin Harris said this point-blank and critics are merely reminding us what Martin said.

DCP wrote:Gen'y: "I previously posted this, but you removed it for some reason."

I didn't remove it. Disqus is quirky and sometimes removes posts -- including mine -- on its own, for obscure reasons. When I see this, I restore them.

Gen'y: "I'm glad you changed the punching sound effect. It is much better now."

Sound smoothing -- or whatever the technical name for the process is -- is a standard part of preparing a film for release. We're in that stage right now.

Gen'y: "I'm sure the film is still in the initial rough stages and far from the polished finished product"

That's true.

Gen'y: "If you watch from 1:02 to 1:05 you can clearly see the wireless microphone and wires hanging from the back of Martin Harris (guy in the red shirt kneeling)."

I had already seen this claim on the Peterson Obsession Board, where it was originally posted (and where negative reviews of the "Witnesses" film have been appearing for at least a year).

It's incorrect. We used no such wireless microphones.

Gen'y: "The plates and the bag, look at about 22 seconds in (after they're knocked from the actor's arms). The plates are clearly exposed and you can see a ring. Now check how the plates/bag look at about 33-34 seconds as Joseph tries to reach for them. I see a bag, but I don't see the plates. At 35 seconds in, we see the exposed plates again. At 36 seconds, Joseph grabs the bag and pulls it toward him. I don't see the plates. Then we see the exposed plates again at 36-37 seconds."

LOL. You guys have too much time on your hands. I'll look at the relevant portions, but I think you and your friends tend to see problems where you hope to see them.

Gen'y: "The plates at 1:30 are clearly different than the ones earlier in the trailer. I have to say that the brown tape does not look good. During the fighting, the plates had a “sealed” part on the bottom that really looked like nothing more than brown duct tape wrapped around the bottom third, but later in the clip the plates are fully shown from the same angle, are much bigger, and there are unsealed plates all the way down? No continuity.

"Having Joseph use the sacred Golden Plates as a weapon to beat his attacker is not historical and certainly not something one would have expected Joseph to do. What about using his fists, a stick or a rock. Joseph was supposed to protect the Plates with his life and the Plates would probably not be the first thing he would use as a weapon to bash someone over the head with."

I'll pass your comments on to the producer and director. I doubt that there's actually much there.

Gen'y: "Susan Easton Black,considering her status as emeritus professor of church history--states that critics have resorted to saying that the witnesses saw the plates with their "spiritual eyes." The implication, of course, is that the critics invented this from thin air. Not so; Martin Harris said this point-blank and critics are merely reminding us what Martin said."

You'll need to take this up with Professor Black. But the plain fact is that this claim has only become really popular among critics in recent years, probably thanks to the efforts of Dan Vogel.

Genealogy wrote:Dan: "It's incorrect. We used no such wireless microphones."

Interesting, that's not what I've heard. I guess it could be any number of electronic devices then. Regardless, I'm sure you will want to have the electronic device CGI'd out.

Thanks for sharing your opinions Dan. I'm looking forward to viewing the finished and polished version.

DCP wrote:Gen'y: "Interesting, that's not what I've heard. "

You've presumably also heard that we're borderline insolvent, and that members of the cast and crew have been complaining about our failure to pay them.

I read that a couple of weeks ago over at your message board, from the Mini-Stalker. He just makes these things up. It's not even remotely true. Most of his claims are pure fiction, and this one is no exception.

Gen'y: "I guess it could be any number of electronic devices then."

It could also be none at all.

Gen'y: "I'm looking forward to viewing the finished and polished version."

I'll BET you are.

But you can already read dozens of reviews on the Peterson Obsession Board where you are a participant. No need to wait!

Genealogy wrote:Daniel,

It's interesting how you are lashing out at these constructive comments. It's almost like you believe your short trailer is above criticism.

All I know is if I had devoted so much time, energy and money to a film project I would welcome concerns, comments and yes, even criticism. I would even be grateful.

To each his own, I guess.

DCP wrote:Incidentally, my comment about our having used no wireless microphones of the type that you and your friends have "seen" in the trailer isn't a matter of my "opinion."

Genealogy wrote:DaniePeterson: "Incidentally, my comment about our having used no wireless microphones of the type that you and your friends have "seen" in the trailer isn't a matter of my "opinion."

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Regardless of what type of electronic device the actor is wearing, I'm glad you have forwarded this constructive criticism to the director.

Wow--look how touchy he is! Quite funny that he's flat out denying what all of us can plainly see with our own eyes. I hope someone asks about this at the panel this evening. Will the panel be videotaped, I wonder? And put up for viewing on "Interpreter"'s blog site? I bet this one really stings: he's probably enraged that someone would make such a blunder. Why didn't the script supervisor or the editor catch that? And, of course, the only way to fix it is to either delete the scene or spend the money to CGI it out of there. No wonder he's still begging for money!

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

Wow--look how touchy he is! Quite funny that he's flat out denying what all of us can plainly see with our own eyes!

Hold the phones: have at least three of 'us' seen it with our own eyes? If so, on what grounds does he contradict us?

I would check myself, but since he's disabled the ability to diverge from linear continuous play, it's not worth the time. I really don't get lashing out like that at criticism. Every mistake that he doesn't catch now will be left in the final cut, where he will be unable to prevent rewinding, and there will be exploded views and detailed analysis and links throughout Mormondom exposing the worst of it, and so he's getting for his film what he can't get for papers published at Interpreter -- proper peer review.
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I mean we’re not really nitpicking, are we? These are pretty noticeable, and amateurish, issues that need cleaning up. If we were nitpicking we’d be harping on the fact that in the barn scene the ‘iron nails’ used to bind the boards together are obviously modern, and the thread counts on some of the clothing are true to the 21st century, not 19th century.

Also, the movie sucks. You can tell because the trailer sucks ass. This is a direct reflection of Mr. Peterson’s involvement.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Understanding the world as an amoral, chaotic system that is in a constant flux of competing entities all driven by an innate biological determinism is both redpilled and blackpilled.

consiglieri
God

Post by consiglieri »

Looks like Professor Peterson has already started sporting a black beret, sunglasses and cigarette holder.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

So, the video is connected to pella media’s Vimeo account where they posted, over a year ago, Trailer #2, which was according to Peterson, composed of interviews and older clips from previous movie efforts regarding the witnesses.

The problem is, that is you look at the most recent trailer, apparently from the new filming done last fall, there is a scene where they all reverently touch the plates, however, this scene is IDENTICAL to the scene from the trailer posted a year ago.

Compare 1:04 of the trailer last year,
https://vimeo.com/314347484

With 1:33 from the new clip,
https://vimeo.com/394108007

IT IS THE SAME CLIP.

What on earth is going on? Why is Peterson presenting this trailer as coming from his million dollar movie, when it still has clips from older movies in it?

Here is Peterson’s explanation, from Feb 2019:

The current “sizzle reel,” as film people call it, is a temporary placeholder. That is, it isn’t yet really a “trailer,” strictly speaking. The interviews that are featured represent some of the material that we have recently developed for this project. The dramatic scenes and the music, though, are borrowed from an earlier film created essentially by this same crew.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... esses.html

So the trailer for Peterson’s film contains “borrowed” scenes from a previous film.

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor Scratch wrote:I hope someone asks about this at the panel this evening. Will the panel be videotaped, I wonder?

Hold the phone—What’s this about a panel this evening? Where and when may I attend, assuming it’s open to the public?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley