A New Trailer Drops for the "Witnesses" Movie

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
I have a question
God

Re: A New Trailer Drops for the "Witnesses" Movie

Post by I have a question »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:16 pm
October is too soon. But that's just it, isn't it? Maybe the best way to suppress the movie for good is to go "all in" for October, creating a maze of contractual bindings, and then "bam!" The release runs right into a brick wall. But now there's this huge mess of paperwork making it difficult to get another plan together. Not impossible, but enough to stay paralyzed for at least six more months, and then by then, everyone has forgotten about it. No pressure to move forward, and if concerns resurface here and there later, they've got deniability because they "tried".
Given the technological blessings and tender mercies of the current era, it would be a simple matter to distribute the "movie" via The Mormon Channel, You Tube, LDS Gospel Media Library, Interpreter Website etc etc etc. There is no reason for the world the be deprived of witnessing its release in October. Perhaps they could even consider screening it via Drive-In movie theatres where social distancing is assured?

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

I have a question wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:11 pm
Lemmie wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:28 pm
And although the clip is shortened, there is STILL a scene from “Joseph Smith, American prophet,” in the Witness’ film “overview.” (STILL not a trailer.) It is a scene from a film previously worked on and released publicly by Peterson’s current director, among others.

How again is the donated one million dollars, now swept off the site into a private account, being spent? Who has oversight over the spending from that account? A lawyer specializing in intellectual rights, working for the LDS church, perhaps?

And why, again, did private donors have to pony up a million dollars to pay for a film BYU will use in its curriculum? Doesn’t the religion department have a budget for curriculum materials?
I might be misremembering, but wasn’t there a claim that a contract had been signed with BYU for the rights to “Witnesses” materials?
Yes. And later, iirc, DCP said no donor had contributed more than an eighth of the total, which was then about a million dollars. So BYU will have paid something like $125,000 for a million dollars worth of product. Quite the ecclesiastical discount, no?

Unless the BYU contract involves paying royalties to the Interpreter for the film use, but why would it do that? I thought BYU had an intellectual properties clause that assigns copyrights of works created by BYU professors using BYU resources to the LDS intellectual reserve, but I’m not positive on that.

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

IHAQ wrote:it would be a simple matter to distribute the "movie" via The Mormon Channel, You Tube, LDS Gospel Media Library, Interpreter Website etc etc etc.
IHAQ, you are a genius!

I think what you're saying is that like Will Schryver with his Book of Abraham research, if there isn't a "premiere" outlet for the material, then take the ball and go home. That's a big factor in the suppression theory, if not the biggest factor.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

This is odd. The “script” for the documentary isn’t finished? And what dramatic scenes will the documentary contain that the theatrical version won’t show?

The script for the documentary film is pretty far along. It will include dramatic footage from the theatrical filming (some of it not included in the final cut of that movie) as well as dramatic footage specifically created for the documentary itself. The major distinguishing component in the documentary, of course, will be interviews with scholars, both believing and non-believing. The release for the documentary was tentatively proposed this morning for April 2021, to be accompanied by a flotilla of what we have been calling “snippets.” These short little items, typically 3-5 minutes in length, will address questions, concerns, and objections raised by the story of the Witnesses and their principal content will come from interviews with scholars and other relevant experts.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... ation.html

I have a question
God

Post by I have a question »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:34 pm
IHAQ wrote:it would be a simple matter to distribute the "movie" via The Mormon Channel, You Tube, LDS Gospel Media Library, Interpreter Website etc etc etc.
IHAQ, you are a genius!

I think what you're saying is that like Will Schryver with his Book of Abraham research, if there isn't a "premiere" outlet for the material, then take the ball and go home. That's a big factor in the suppression theory, if not the biggest factor.
I suppose it will depend on the true purpose of this "movie" project. Is it a philanthropic effort born out of love and admiration for the witnesses? Or is it simply a vehicle for shaking down unsuspecting donors to facilitate spotlight hungry individuals? Is it being pushed as a money maker? If the former, a theatrical release is inconsequential, unnecessary to its purpose. A much wider "free" distribution, achieved via You Tube, Facebook, Church Media, Websites etc, would better serve. I guess time will flush out the managements underlying desires.

P.S. Any sign of those project financials seeing the light of day?

Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Unfortunately, there is still no "official" trailer for the "Witnesses" movie, but never fear, because there will apparently be some new footage released at the upcoming FAIRMormon Conference:
Sic et Non wrote:The title of my forthcoming presentation for the 2020 FairMormon conference has now been posted. It is “The Book of Mormon Witnesses: Variety and Complexity.” My remarks will likely include a medley of four short clips — totaling, altogether, roughly five or perhaps six minutes — from the forthcoming Interpreter Foundation Witnesses theatrical film. They are also very likely to be accompanied by still photographs taken on the set of the film.
I can hardly wait!
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

And it won't get off the ground thanks to one insurmountable problem, "dependency".

I was sitting in a courtroom last year as a candidate juror, and the judge and lawyers were asking questions; I guess they were looking for bias. I can't remember which side brought it up, but it was noted that 12 officers would testify against the defendant; they had no other witnesses. The defendant had no other witnesses. I rolled my eyes, as that basically reduces to a single witness on either side.
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

I can't help but wonder about the producers' "roll out" strategy. Why haven't they released a trailer yet? Sure: I get that there is a pandemic going on, but last I heard, they were still planning on a theatrical release in October, and there is nothing stopping them from hitting the social media circuit. Why not a trailer on YouTube? Or the "Interpreter" website? Are they still reeling from our criticisms of their amateur-hour initial "trailer" (remember, that wasn't the *real* trailer!), and so they are afraid of being criticized over a second one? Or are they actually trying to limit their audience?

What I'm saying is that there doesn't seem to be any actual "plan." What, Peterson is just going to screen a few clips? (Well--LOL!--at least that will save him from having to actually *write* a talk, and even to just wing it off-the-cuff, as he has done in the past.)

In any case, this is where things stand: DCP periodically mentions the "Witnesses" movie on "Sic et Non," but the main "nugget" that the audience has been given was that embarrassing "trailer" that had the "Street Fighter" punching noise synched up with Joseph Smith using the gold plates as a weapon. (Plus what appears to be a wireless mic clipped to the back of an actor's pants.) That's it: that is the principal impression that people have of this forthcoming "movie." They had better get cracking with that "official" trailer.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Some new announcements have been made. First, the film's debut has been pushed back into 2021. Quite a bummer. But this tidbit is especially interesting:
Sic et Non wrote:It’s possible, of course, that our guests in the audience were just being polite. I tried to watch for that. But I think they genuinely liked it, on the whole. I certainly hope so.

I like the honesty of it — I always insisted that matters like the introduction of early plural marriage and the failure of the Kirtland Bank had to be mentioned, if not comprehensively addressed — and it does that. Truth be told, there was no push-back against me on that point. They could not really be avoided, because they played a significant role in the departure of Oliver Cowdery, Martin Harris, and David Whitmer from the Church. We know full well that, if we try to sugar coat or whitewash things, our credibility will be irreparably damaged. Besides, I’ve always been for full disclosure. I’m confident that the Church’s truth claims will withstand scrutiny, and I think that attempting to hide difficult or challenging issues is a recipe for disaster in the long term.
Whoa....is he serious? I mean, the reason Mopologetics exists (at least in part) is to push back against full "honesty." And if this movie is truly "honest," then are they showing Deer Jesus? And will the movie depict Joseph Smith explaining that the events of the Book of Mormon take place in the U.S., and not in Latin America? Will it show him consulting The Late War in order to drum up ideas for the Book of Mormon?

This line: "I’ve always been for full disclosure" is so completely laughable that I don't even know where to begin. How long did we have to wait for the 2nd Watson Letter? And where is the 'disclosure' about the funding for the "Witnesses" movie? Where is the admission that he made more than $20,000 as Chair of FARMS, and an apology to us for lying about it?

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

So if the film itself was ready to be privately screened, surely there is an updated trailer?

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Lemmie wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:39 pm
So if the film itself was ready to be privately screened, surely there is an updated trailer?
For health reasons, they should not have screened it in the manner they did. But yes, you're right: I see no reason why there still isn't an "official" trailer. Imagine being so scared of criticism from a few folks on an obscure message board that you are afraid to release a trailer for a movie that you've sunk a significant chunk of your life into.

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

The church has never been about full disclosure. Only when forced, kicking and screaming.

Ballard says "we've been as transparent as we know how to be" -- ok, when can we expect public access to those church vaults?

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:48 am
The church has never been about full disclosure. Only when forced, kicking and screaming.

Ballard says "we've been as transparent as we know how to be" -- ok, when can we expect public access to those church vaults?
I feel your frustration, Dr. Moore. Of course they've come kicking and screaming. It's obvious to anyone except gaslighting apologist types. The JSP is a great step forward but unfettered access to the vaults won't be forthcoming any time soon. There are probably too many troubling things like some rantings and ravings by senile leaders or predictions that didn't come true over the years or references to items that have long since been destroyed. My guess is that we would discover that Brigham Young had more to do with Mountain Meadows than previously admitted. Hoffman fooled them and there are probably documents regarding attempts to cover the thing up. There are probably damning documents regarding the overall plan to cover things up after Leonard Arrington tried to open up the archives. Maybe some leaders pushed a BH Roberts type of view of the book of Mormon behind the scenes? Who knows? We won't, unfortunately.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen