Louis Midgley Threatens to "Pay a Visit" to Gina Colvin

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
moksha
God

Re: Louis Midgley Threatens to "Pay a Visit" to Gina Colvin

Post by moksha »

Drs. Midgley, Peterson, and Pahoran are all adamant that it was both a coincidence that Dr. Midgley showed up at Gina's ward and/or he was summoned by Gina's husband who possibly had uttered the name Beetlejuice three times.

Also that the Tanner Bookstore Roadtrip was an invention by this board, and/or Dr. Midgley was summoned by Jerald Tanner who possibly had uttered the name Beetlejuice three times.

I hope somebody can get to the bottom of this series of unusual statements.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Midgley wrote:I am also pleased to report that Nathan told me that both he and his wife have read everything that I have written about the Maori Latter-day Saint historical narrative

This little bit of self-serving narcissism is so over the top that you can only laugh. According to Colvin, her husband did not even know who Midgley was.

From the report of Colvin’s Facebook response:

Her husband responded that he "had no idea." He saw Midgley's name badge, thought the name was "really familiar," and thought Midgley was one of his wife's "mates." "Guess not," he added (with a sheepish smile emoji).

She later noted that her husband "clearly missed the name" when she read "the rude troll things" that Midgley has said.

viewtopic.php?p=1218270#p1218270

Would someone who had read every single thing Midgley had ever written on a topic not recognize his name? Midgley is delusional.

I have a question
God

Post by I have a question »

I'm guessing Mr Midgley isn't at the taller end of the male spectrum...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

I've mostly been skimming this one and have questions that might seem a little naïve but if so, someone can point out what I'm missing.

The SeN comments indicate that Mr. M was on a cruise and the apologists have been arguing that those devoted to faith still attend church while on vacation, and so Midgley going to church seems to be perfectly natural. I can imagine there aren't the same number of branches in New Zealand as in Utah County, but you're telling me the most accessible branch for Sunday worship from his cruise ship just happen to be Gina's husband's service? And wasn't he planning on going to Gina's Anglican church, meaning he would forego his usual services? Is that usual for people of faith? On my mission a mission guideline was not to attend non-lds services, especially for the sake of bible bashing. If his plan was to double up, that's quite a bit for one day on a cruise ship excursion. And what about Kiwi57? Kiwi had invited Midgley personally to visit him on SeN. Why wouldn't he go to Kiwi's ward and they could rejoice together as brothers in positive faith expression? And the Stake President relaying an invitation from Gina's husband, how did that fit in? Out of the blue the SP uses his connections to get Midgley's personal number and invite him: "Brother Midgley, a man in one of my wards has heard a bunch of gossip about you visiting New Zealand, and would love for you to meet him at his home ward."
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Why was Midgley wearing a name badge? When I was younger, my family went to church sometimes when we were out of town and we never wore name badges. I've never seen badges being worn by anyone who is visiting from out of town, either. Is this a new thing? Or was he trying to get Ms. Colvin's husband to come to him so he could have some deniability? Also, Dr. Midgley obviously researched to find out where Ms. Colvin's husband attended church and specifically went to that ward. In any event, Dr. Peterson maybe needs to look at the true stalker and give him appropriate counsel before legal proceedings ensue.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Dr Exiled wrote:Why was Midgley wearing a name badge? When I was younger, my family went to church sometimes when we were out of town and we never wore name badges. I've never seen badges being worn by anyone who is visiting from out of town, either. Is this a new thing? Or was he trying to get Ms. Colvin's husband to come to him so he could have some deniability? Also, Dr. Midgley obviously researched to find out where Ms. Colvin's husband attended church and specifically went to that ward. In any event, Dr. Peterson maybe needs to look at the true stalker and give him appropriate counsel before legal proceedings ensue.

As Gadianton and Dr exiled point out, it seems obvious that Midgley planned this stalking event long in advance. His first post on Colvin's blog outlined his original plan:

Louis Midgley • 3 months ago

Gina:

I know of only one Community of Christ congregation in New Zealand. It is located at 311 Glengary Road, Glen Eden, Auckland. A search does not turn up Community of Christ congregation in Christchurch. Would you please explain where this Community of Christ group meets in Christchurch and also how many there are in this group? I will, God willing, be in New Zealand in February, and might drop in to see your new venture, but I will need an address and so forth.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/kiwimormo ... ll-mormon/

So at first, he didn’t plan to go to the LDS Ward, but rather directly stalk Gina herself. After Colvin was warned of Midgley’s stalking technique, Midgley tried to downplay the stalking aspect, but in doing so, gave away his next plan:

Louis Midgley EV • 2 months ago • edited

EV: I will, God willing, be in Christchurch and will attend a Sacrament meeting.

If Gina turn up, fine. I would like to meet her. My point was that, if she is not busy doing her Anglican thing, she only has her former Latter-day Saint Ward in which to worship, since it is likely that she is the only member of the Community of Christ south of Auckland.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/kiwimormo ... ll-mormon/

In Midgley’s mind and according to his research, if Colvin had no Anglican congregation to attend, she would attend her husband’s LDS Ward, and he assumed he could stalk her there.

My guess is he got there, started asking around if Colvin was in attendance, got the answer ‘no, but her husband is, right over there.’ At that moment, to Midgley’s mean-spirited delight, his creepy research paid off and his on-the-ground, IRL stalking began.

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

Thanks Lemmie,

It turns out that the defenses of Midgley, the cruise guy who needs a place of worship on Sunday and who can fault him, are lies, and his visit was premeditated.

(if any of the apologists are confused about statements that would make a difference in a courtroom, you can flush the 3 witness statements, and study these couple of statements (2 or 3) by Midgley)
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

Lemmie
God

Re: Louis Midgley Threatens to "Pay a Visit" to Gina Colv

Post by Lemmie »

Gadianton wrote:Thanks Lemmie,

It turns out that the defenses of Midgley, the cruise guy who needs a place of worship on Sunday and who can fault him, are lies, and his visit was premeditated.

(if any of the apologists are confused about statements that would make a difference in a courtroom, you can flush the 3 witness statements, and study these couple of statements (2 or 3) by Midgley)

Good point, by asking for an address, stating his plans, and then adjusting his plans, what else could he saying?

I think Colvin is pretty aware now, and can protect herself for the most part against Midgley troll types, but speaking of “who can fault” Midgley, I really would like an explanation for this:

Midgley:

For instance, where Maori Saints love the Book of Mormon, Gina detests it.

She started out as a naïve primitive believer. But her work on a Ph.D. thesis in journalism led her to read recent French philosophy, and this colonized her in a radically hostile worldview that has exactly no place for Maori things or the faith of the Saints.

What, exactly, is a “naïve primitive believer”???

Midgley is aware that Colvin is Maori, and was raised in the LDS church. What exactly is it about being Maori and LDS that he thinks makes a believer “naïve,” and worse yet, ”primitive”?

Midgley really needs to explain the choice of those wiords.

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Remember, words for Mormons don't mean what words actually mean.

Translation
Salvation
Prophet
and now we can add stalking.
They really do not grasp what words mean. So, in their minds, they are purely innocent. MIND YOU, in THEIR minds, they are ALWAYS innocent, even when they kill men, women, and children such as happened at Mountain Meadows. There was no murder there, almost they can claim no one actually and in the literal sense died, since the resurrection will undo death, so death didn't happen. I mean these people can spin ANYTHING to appear innocent to the world.
To the world they appear and actually are seriously stupidly RUDE, in their own eyes, they are doing the Spiritual work of the Lord, and therefore, there never has been nor will be any such thing as rudeness in their methods, words and works. They simply cannot fathom it. In their own eyes, and I mean this absolutely LITERALLY, Jesus is smiling in his heart at how they are defending him while he sleeps in his celestial bed working mysteriously.....
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

“I have many a time, in this stand, dared the world to produce as mean devils as we can; we can beat them at anything. We have the greatest and smoothest liars in the world, the cunningest and most adroit thieves, and any other shade of character that you can mention. We can pick out Elders in Israel right here who can beat the world at gambling, who can handle the cards, cut and shuffle them with the smartest rogue on the face of God’s footstool. I can produce Elders here who can shave their smartest shavers, and take their money from them. We can beat the world at any game” (Journal of Discourses 4:77).

There’s been a long and interesting history of lying and deception woven into the Mormon cultural fabric since day one. The Midge, from his military service to his academic ‘achievements’, is well aware of the wink-and-nod sanctioned lying within this culture. All of his ____ bragging and delusions of grandeur are unsurprising given this context.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.

Dr LOD
Deacon

Post by Dr LOD »

For the Mppologetic archives below is Professor Midgley's response about this subject dated from 5/5/20
Louis Midgley
On 1 January 2020 Doctor Scratch on a board owned and operated by Dr. Shades that "Louis Midgley Threatens to 'Pay a Visit' to Gina Colvin." This bizarre announcement about what I presumably "threatened" was followed by thirty "posts," two of which were by Dr. Shades, in preparation for what was later set out in spades on Gina Colvin's Kiwi Mormon blog. When someone had a question about standard MormonDiscussions.com demonology, Dr. Shades affirmed that I had "been a prick."

Dr. Shades will, if he cares or dares to respond, insist that he did not on that occasion use the language I quoted. However, he never once cautioned or corrected those spouting that language. Does Dr Shades condone the use of words, commonly used by mindless juveniles, like "creepy" to describe me? Or words like "stalker," which clearly identifies serious criminal activity, when routinely applied to me?

For kids playing on the Internet the words like "stalk" and "stalker" can mean those who seek to figure out the identity of some other person who hides their identity on the Internet by using a handle. It has to be obvious to everyone that a two week long trip to and from Sydney, Australia, where the tour company that sold a tour to Latter-day Saints had made it possible for seventeen people, including my youngest son and his wife, and my (and Dan Peterson's) dermatologist and his wife, to renew our covenants at sacrament meeting in one of the wards in the Christchurch Stake, cannot possibly be an instance of stalking anyone. And certainly not Gina Colvin, who is an academic who does not hide her identity at all.

So I urge Dr Shades, if he cares or dares to respond, to disown the rubbish on his board about me, and what those from his board in something like fifty comments aimed at me on the Kiwi Mormon blog. Or to take full public ownership of the kind of language I have quoted from that item posted on 1-2 January 2020 by Dr Scratch.
http://disq.us/p/29agxfy

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Well, I hope the trip went well and that Dr. Midgley has reconciled in some way with Dr. Colvin. According to my reading, he has said some fairly unkind things about her, and the message that he intended to "pay her a visit" was bound to be read in that light. Would I want to visit with a fellow who was running me down in this way? I certainly wouldn't blame anyone else for not wanting to. Nor do I blame anyone for being skeptical about his intentions, given the attitude toward Dr. Colvin he has openly displayed online.

That is what puzzles me. Dr. Midgley says really unkind things about Dr. Colvin in the public eye, and then he expects that this won't have any negative response. Unfortunately for him, his reputation precedes him, and if even half of that reputation is based on fact, then he is liable to be greeted with skepticism when he announces his intentions to visit people whom he runs down verbally online.

In any case, I hope it all worked out well. I think it is odd that Dr. Midgley criticizes Dr. Colvin for her Western philosophical views, when he takes it upon himself to represent a group that has sold an unhistorical origin narrative of Western creation to indigenous peoples across large swaths of the globe. Of course, he does not believe that. He simply has next to no evidence to argue his case to anyone who is not a partisan or sufficiently ignorant.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

“There’s been a long and interesting history of lying and deception woven into the Mormon cultural fabric since day one.”

DCP, in BY’s finest tradition lies to his readers again:

“I left the message board in question quite a number of years ago, amid assurances that, if I did, the obsessive interest in me would soon fade.”

Victimology 401 - How to Be an Asshole and a Victim Simultaneously

- Doc

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

No, it did not go well. In a nutshell, based on Midgley’s subsequent posts and Colvin’s Facebook comments, it looks like Midgley enlisted the LDS area and stake presidents to provide him with information about a woman no longer a member of the LDS church, and/or her husband, a member. In my opinion this violated not only the LDS policy on how private information about members is shared, it also violated the New Zealand Privacy act, and also possibly US federal law on making public information about people no longer in your church.

On top of that, according to Colvin, Midgley misrepresented himself to Colvin’s husband and pumped him for personal information. Later, Colvin says she asked him if he knew this was the Midgley who had said so many horrible things about her online, and he said he didn’t know because Midgley acted like he was a friend. Colvin was not pleased.

Since his return, Midgley has posted many negative things about Colvin’s inner thoughts and personal motivations, implying Colvin's husband shared them with him. I don’t believe this for a moment, given Midgley’s well established propensity to exaggerate and even outright lie about things like this, but still, he has put many outrageous and mean-spirited comments online about Colvin.

Gradually it came to light that Midgley’s motivation is apparently his hurt feelings over Colvin being consulted for the Maori history in some chapter of the second volume of Saints, while ignoring his work, which he clearly feels is superior, regardless of many expressed opinions otherwise. He has extended his vitriol to include Marjorie Newton, whose work is also noted In the volume. He recently stated that he had emails proving that the Saints editors regretted using Colvin and were somehow going to right that, but he has since backed off that nonsense. Maybe someone in authority reined him in.

Throughout this, Midgley has also made many racist and demeaning comments about Colvin and several others who post here. One of the most bizarre was when he explained that Gina Colvin ‘isn’t even really Maori’ because of his opinions on how she was raised. Another was his explanation that the ‘good Maori’ became LDS, implying those who don’t, of course, are somehow not good.

All in all, it has been a bizarre ride, with Midgley’s anger, racism, inappropriateness and mendacity on full display as he bragged about, engaged in, and then desperately tried to deny his undisputed stalking of Gina Colvin.

Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Lemmie wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:03 pm
No, it did not go well. In a nutshell, based on Midgley’s subsequent posts and Colvin’s Facebook comments, it looks like Midgley enlisted the LDS area and stake presidents to provide him with information about a woman no longer a member of the LDS church, and/or her husband, a member. In my opinion this violated not only the LDS policy on how private information about members is shared, it also violated the New Zealand Privacy act, and also possibly US federal law on making public information about people no longer in your church.

On top of that, according to Colvin, Midgley misrepresented himself to Colvin’s husband and pumped him for personal information. Later, Colvin says she asked him if he knew this was the Midgley who had said so many horrible things about her online, and he said he didn’t know because Midgley acted like he was a friend. Colvin was not pleased.

Since his return, Midgley has posted many negative things about Colvin’s inner thoughts and personal motivations, implying Colvin's husband shared them with him. I don’t believe this for a moment, given Midgley’s well established propensity to exaggerate and even outright lie about things like this, but still, he has put many outrageous and mean-spirited comments online about Colvin.

Gradually it came to light that Midgley’s motivation is apparently his hurt feelings over Colvin being consulted for the Maori history in some chapter of the second volume of Saints, while ignoring his work, which he clearly feels is superior, regardless of many expressed opinions otherwise. He has extended his vitriol to include Marjorie Newton, whose work is also noted In the volume. He recently stated that he had emails proving that the Saints editors regretted using Colvin and were somehow going to right that, but he has since backed off that nonsense. Maybe someone in authority reined him in.

Throughout this, Midgley has also made many racist and demeaning comments about Colvin and several others who post here. One of the most bizarre was when he explained that Gina Colvin ‘isn’t even really Maori’ because of his opinions on how she was raised. Another was his explanation that the ‘good Maori’ became LDS, implying those who don’t, of course, are somehow not good.

All in all, it has been a bizarre ride, with Midgley’s anger, racism, inappropriateness and mendacity on full display as he bragged about, engaged in, and then desperately tried to deny his undisputed stalking of Gina Colvin.
For many years I've watched Midgley engage in racist behavior over and over. I guess I was kind of giving him a pass because of his age and his generation, but shame on me. Midgley should know better regardless of his age. Midgley is a racist through and through. It's a shame, but that's now part of his legacy (thanks to Peter$on and Sic et Non).

And yes, Midgley did violate several laws while stalking Gina Colvin. However, Midgley has never had an issue with breaking the law. IIRC, Midgley was recently bragging on Sic et Non about going AWOL when he was in the United States military and how clever he was for not being caught.

Louis C. Midgley, lawbreaker, racist, stalker, BYU professor and priesthood holder.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Big Baby Lou continues to hammer away at Gina Colvin's character, intelligence, and faith with his latest shot:

"Louis Midgley > Kiwi57

22 minutes ago

"Kiwi Anglican blog," indeed. That was amusing, and sort of true in a very vague way, since Gina has boasted that she has no idea what Anglicans believe. It isn't that Gina started reading N. T. Wright and hence decided to become an Anglican."

Yes yes. Clearly she's too stupid to understand her faith and motivations! Let's have Big Baby Lou explain it to the poor dear.

*rolling eyes emoji*

- Doc

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

D Cam
“I have many a time, in this stand, dared the world to produce as mean devils as we can; we can beat them at anything. We have the greatest and smoothest liars in the world, the cunningest and most adroit thieves, and any other shade of character that you can mention. We can pick out Elders in Israel right here who can beat the world at gambling, who can handle the cards, cut and shuffle them with the smartest rogue on the face of God’s footstool. I can produce Elders here who can shave their smartest shavers, and take their money from them. We can beat the world at any game” (Journal of Discourses 4:77).
He lies. The Mormon Church certainly CANNOT and DOES NOT........***DOES NOT*** beat the world at charitable giving where it will do the most good in proportion to how much they possess in cash and investments. I CHALLENGE Mormonism as an institution to rise to Brigham's bragging and prove it true instead of a lie.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Big Baby Lyin’ Lou continues to crank out one whopper after another:

“Her husband is, as I have made perfectly clear several times, Dr. Nathan McCluskey, Ph.D.. And, much to my surprise, his Stake President and the Area President and also Nathan, were anxious that we meet.”

- Doc

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Lou just has to make himself appear important. It s hilarious how hard he tries to be someone significant. No wonder Peterson allows him free reign, he also has no significance outside of Midgley's immaturity and postings on his blog.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Somehow I missed this exchange on Colvin’s blog:
Louis Midgley Dr. VelhoBurrinho • a month ago

Please Note: VelhoBurrinho is Portuguese for Little Old Donkey. He posts as Dr. LOD on fake Dr. Shades board....

——
Moksha Louis Midgley • a month ago

Please Note: Midgley is Valdusian for "a person who regularly stalks those he believes he can bully with impunity and then denies that he is a stalker".

http://disq.us/p/28utz8y
That’s perfect.

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

he explained that Gina Colvin ‘isn’t even really Maori’ because of his opinions on how she was raised. Another was his explanation that the ‘good Maori’ became LDS, implying those who don’t, of course, are somehow not good.
hmmmmmm. to me the full implication of these two statements together, is "those who don't, are not really Maori."

I think this is the crux of the issue when various perspectives of his affection for the Maori get tossed around over here. My own position has been that obviously Mr. M "loves the Maori". He's a hothead, and as the Reverend reminded us, the "indigenous peoples across large swaths of the globe" are generally open to Western missionaries when compared to say, urban Europeans. On my mission, aggressive missionaries did far better with the indigenous population than with the whites. He may have not made it out from among the whites I worked with. Why wouldn't he have great affection for those who treated him like a rock star?

While that has been my position, I do give consideration to the position of others who see things slightly different, based on his postings on Colvin and Newton. It would seem, in his mind, the idyllic Maori culture that honored him defines the essence of "Maori" and those who reject him or his beliefs, must have some attribute that excises them form Maori proper. At that point, debating what is meant by "loving the Maori" is problematic. However, clearly to me, when the Sic et Non apologists rally to Mr. M's honor, they reference his affection for "the Maori of his mission" as a counter to charges that clearly do not imply that he doesn't love some or many Maori. The contention is over what "the Maori" means in the general sense, and they know that, of course.

Jesus taught that true love is gauged by how we love those who do not love us back. Mr. Midgley is like the shepherd who chases after the lost sheep in order to raise his staff and lecture it; if it doesn't follow him back then good riddance, it was never one of the flock in the first place.