Here Comes The Book of Abraham Part I, II, III

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Shulem
Son of Perdition

Here Comes The Book of Abraham Part I, II, III

Post by Shulem »

***FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE***

I decided to assemble and craft this work and release it online now as Part I!

Enjoy. If you like it, then by all means share it with others!

Here Comes The Book of Abraham Part I

You won't be disappointed, enjoy!

Just to let you all know you'll be hearing a lot less from me for the time being. I'm going to happily continue to enjoy having cocktails and enjoy drinking without Dr Shades having to remind me that I can't drink and post at the same time and must be alcohol free for 24 hours. So, I'd rather drink and have fun doing my own thing. Life is too short and having to abide by Shades's rule is too boring for me.

It may interest you to know that I just began a new project on the Book of Abraham that I promise will make waves when I release it. You can be sure that apologists are not going to like what I'm going to ram down their throats. It's going to be really, really, good. I'm going to use all my talents and skills in cherry picking and producing an original masterpiece in showcasing the Book of Abraham fraud from a fresh point of view that will rock the church.

Trust Shulem to get the job done! Book of Abraham apologists are now on notice. I don't have a timeline in when this will be complete. It could take months or maybe a year. I don't know. The church is about to shift gears and embrace the Catalyst Theory as it tries to persuade members to disregard reason and logic. I foresaw this many years ago when I embraced the Catalyst Theory as an apologist but while doing so realized it was fatally flawed as I had formulated in my mind that it was a work of fraud.

Anyway, cheers everyone. Enjoy a drink and toast!

:smile:
Last edited by Shulem on Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

candygal
God

Re: Here Comes The Book of Abraham

Post by candygal »

Just wanting you to know that I am having the most delicious margarita...still sane even... :razz:

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Too bad Shades could not offer an on-line breathalyzer to assist with posting continuance.

Best wishes on your new book. :smile:
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Cheers, Shulem.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I'm sure your book will be an instant classic.

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

Mormon Think
Area Authority

Post by Mormon Think »

Can't wait Shulem. Have a drink on me.

Bill

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Shulem wrote:Just to let you all know you'll be hearing a lot less from me for the time being. I'm going to happily continue to enjoy having cocktails and enjoy drinking without Dr Shades having to remind me that I can't drink and post at the same time and must be alcohol free for 24 hours. So, I'd rather drink and have fun doing my own thing. Life is too short and having to abide by Shades's rule is too boring for me.

It may interest you to know that I just began a new project on the Book of Abraham that I promise will make waves when I release it. You can be sure that apologists are not going to like what I'm going to ram down their throats. It's going to be really, really, good. I'm going to use all my talents and skills in cherry picking and producing an original masterpiece in showcasing the Book of Abraham fraud from a fresh point of view that will rock the church.

Trust Shulem to get the job done! Book of Abraham apologists are now on notice. I don't have a timeline in when this will be complete. It could take months or maybe a year. I don't know. The church is about to shift gears and embrace the Catalyst Theory as it tries to persuade members to disregard reason and logic. I foresaw this many years ago when I embraced the Catalyst Theory as an apologist but while doing so realized it was fatally flawed as I had formulated in my mind that it was a work of fraud.

Anyway, cheers everyone. Enjoy a drink and toast!

Had a toast for you last night! Looking forward to your next venture, but please don’t leave us totally out of the loop. I don’t want to offend our dear chief moderator, but I have yet to see a rule stating conditions on doing your own thing! (Much love to Dr. Shades. :wink: )

Anyway, dear friend, cheers to you, also!

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

Thank you, everyone, for your well-wishes and toasting me in writing my new paper, "Here Comes the Book of Abraham" which I believe will seriously damage Mormonism today. There are a number of wonderful contributions out there to include the CES Letter, Mormon Think, and many others who have written on this subject.

I feel compelled to say that this new effort I am making will really turn some heads and injure many a testimony. I intend to knock it out of the park and put an end to Book of Abraham apologetics!

With that said, by my own permission, I thought it nice to release a little tidbit in chipping away at Joseph Smith's fantastic claims. I hope you enjoy it and come away with a new perspective having seen things from a different angle. That is the intention of my new article or presentation -- to take the heart of the matter where it hasn't gone before and make it harder if not impossible to believe Joseph Smith.

Shulem wrote:So, when Joseph Smith pointed at characters on papyrus and claimed there was a signature of Abraham thereon, one was left to leave it to the stretch of their imagination. Take for instance Smith’s interpretation of the Egyptian libation stand (topped with a lotus and water jar) in Facsimile No. 3, Fig. 3, where he explains in his news publication: “Signifies Abraham, in Egypt; as given in the 9th No. of the Times & Seasons.” Smith is claiming that both libation stands signify Abraham in Egypt. But take into consideration the text of chapter 1:8-20 and discover the libation stands are actually located in two different geographical locations: The first (Facsimile No. 1, Fig 10) is in the land of Chaldea and the second (Facsimile No. 3 Fig. 3) is at Pharaoh’s court in Egypt. It should be pointed out, however, that Abraham hadn’t been to Egypt prior to his encounter with Pharaoh’s priest in the land of Chaldea! How can the libation stand in Chaldea signify Abraham in Egypt when according to the story he hadn’t yet gone to Egypt? Confused? But wait, there’s more!

Perhaps unknown to Joseph Smith, there are two libation stands depicted in Facsimile No. 2, Fig. 2 & 3 that are set before the feet of the gods of Egypt. Smith’s official Explanations of Facsimile No. 2 say nothing about the libation stands that are supposedly a symbol or representation of Abraham in Egypt. Interesting to note that these libations stands are not anywhere near Egypt, not even on earth! According to Smith, the first is near the star Kolob and the other is at God’s throne in heaven.

So, you see, when it comes to Smith’s explanations, anything goes! Just use your imagination and pretend there is a signature or autograph written by Abraham’s own hand upon papyrus.

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Dear Shulem, writing a book is a heroic undertaking, whatever your personal motives. I wish you success in articulating the many learnings from your long fought search.

If I might humbly offer a suggestion. Holding an aim to damage Mormonism per se may repel, like two magnetic north poles, the very audience to which your unique depth has the most to offer.

Ground is fertile for endeavors seeking to make complex ideas and discoveries more easy to consume, particularly so for confused truth seekers coming from a Mormon background.

My search, for one, was triggered by reading the gospel topic essays. As such, I first studied sources offering a semblance of balance and neutrality.

Quasimodo
Bell Ringer

Post by Quasimodo »

Shulem, in vino veritas! Your new opus will be wonderful. I can't wait to see it.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

You see? You are truly capable of great things when alcohol-free.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr Moore wrote:Dear Shulem, writing a book is a heroic undertaking, whatever your personal motives. I wish you success in articulating the many learnings from your long fought search.

Shulem wrote:Thank you, everyone, for your well-wishes and toasting me in writing my new paper, "Here Comes the Book of Abraham" which I believe will seriously damage Mormonism today.

Shulem wrote:Anyway, cheers everyone. Enjoy a drink and toast!

Pssssst. Make a website to go with it. ;-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

Fence Sitter
God

Post by Fence Sitter »

Paul,

While it is admittedly a short sample I am drawing from here, I think your focus is attacking an apologetic that is fast loosing support within even the Church itself, that is, the apologetic theory that Joseph Smith actually was deriving authentic historical information about Abraham from the Egyptian papyri and artifacts he owned. Those apologists (Gee, Muhlestein, Smoot, Barney and very few others) are being confronted directly on by a group of faithful BYU scholars and church employed historians, among others, who are willing to admit that Joseph Smith simply was wrong when he thought he was correctly translating the relics. They still hold that the Book of Abraham is scripture inspired by God, just that it clearly isn't and wasn't on the collection Joseph Smith bought in 1835.

In the bigger overall picture I think we are seeing increased movement by faithful scholars trained in textual criticism and other non Egyptological fields, like Givins, Hauglid, Wayment, Bokovoy (not a believer now but he was when he wrote his OT book) Grey, Jensen, and a host of others, who are applying their tools to examining the LDS canon and finding out it fails the test of historical authenticity in many areas that were advocated by past LDS scholars. I think many of these scholars would find no issue with the points you raise above.

Do you intend to try and address this apologetic defense of the Book of Abraham? If not, I think your book would only have an impact on a what seems to be a diminishing group of believers.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Fence Sitter wrote:Those apologists (Gee, Muhlestein, Smoot, Barney and very few others) are being confronted directly on by a group of faithful BYU scholars and church employed historians, among others, who are willing to admit that Joseph Smith simply was wrong when he thought he was correctly translating the relics.

Dollars to donuts that 99% of the rank-and-file membership has no idea about any of that. They still believe the Book of Abraham is a literal word-for-word translation of the actual text on the actual papyrus.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

Fence,

This project I'm working on will have serious consequences in different ways. Yes, I want to see it rammed down the throats of the apologists but in actuality, I don't give a damn about the apologists, really, there aren't very many of them and I'm not interested in converting or saving any of them, per se. They can rot in their fantasies of Joseph Smith for all I care! They are stuck in a paradox and will think anything they can in a vain attempt to solve their paradox and somehow make it work in their own minds in order to preserve their testimonies of Mormonism.

Then there are the tender Mormons who don't know much about any of these matters or are merely acquainted with the controversies and problems regarding the Book of Abraham. How will they grapple with the concepts I am to present? Let us not forget about those who aren't Mormons who may also find it interesting and influential in keeping them from ever joining the church. Who can say?

I'm particularly interested in going back in time to personally deal with Joseph Smith and take him on using his own words against him. This is the key! Never mind today's scholars or apologists! I don't care what they say or what they think. They contradict Joseph Smith's own words and are struggling to solve a paradox that can never be solved by using a rational mind. My argument is with Joseph Smith! I'll take him on myself. The apologists can shut their mouths because they have hypocritically thrown Smith under the bus and are inventing their own form of Mormonism which I'm not interested in. I'm only interested in shutting down Joseph Smith -- taking him on. As far as I'm concerned, modern apologists are hypocritical apostates and Joseph Smith would have excommunicated the whole lot of them.

The Catalyst Theory is taking root and will become the standard before long. The Missing Roll theory is essentially dead and is unsustainable. I think Gee is very frustrated and has retreated to his own self. But whatever. I don't care.

I'm floating the idea of doing a website, perhaps even a podcast or visual presentation of some kind. I don't know yet but I do know that I feel qualified to do this work and have great passion about it. I'm driven to make my contributions stick and become meaningful and valid to the reasonable and rational thinker. I want to keep it simple and yet explore things in a new light while standing in the imagined presence of Joseph Smith himself.

Fence Sitter
God

Post by Fence Sitter »

Fence Sitter wrote:Those apologists (Gee, Muhlestein, Smoot, Barney and very few others) are being confronted directly on by a group of faithful BYU scholars and church employed historians, among others, who are willing to admit that Joseph Smith simply was wrong when he thought he was correctly translating the relics.

Dr. Shades wrote:Dollars to donuts that 99% of the rank-and-file membership has no idea about any of that. They still believe the Book of Abraham is a literal word-for-word translation of the actual text on the actual papyrus.

I think the vast majority of rank-in-file don't care if it is or isn't and wouldn't be reading a book like Paul's anyways. Similar to how they don't care about biblical criticism theories. They simply are not interested in examining why they believe certain texts are scripture. They just are scripture, at least to them. So what is his audience? Well it is those who are interested in investigating these sort of things, the group that is reading the JSPP, or Givins, or perhaps are using the new New Testament that Wayment has put out, maybe they even have Bokovoy's book. So, to use a distinction made famous by you, we don't care much here about chapel Mormons, we are talking about the internet ones.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:Dollars to donuts that 99% of the rank-and-file membership has no idea about any of that. They still believe the Book of Abraham is a literal word-for-word translation of the actual text on the actual papyrus.

The way to reach the rank and file is through a graphic novelization of Shulem's ideas. Sort of like Shulem writes and Quasimodo illustrates.

Put that together with Jersey Girl's idea of on-line access and you would have something similar to a Brother Jake video: Book of Abraham edition.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

I wish you the best in your endeavor, Shulem!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist

kairos
God

Post by kairos »

This will be really good if you can get the chapel Mormons to wake up and be aware of the silliness of the Book of Abraham scam. Perhaps a lighthearted(maybe even a comic book style) but factual account: maybe Book of Abraham for Dummies,( or Chapel Mormons,) or Everything I Was Taught About the Book of Abraham is BS or 100 Lies The Church Teaches about the Book of Abraham or Here Comes the
book of Abraham and There it Goes to the Ash Heap of History or The Book of Abraham: Who are You Going to Believe: Joseph Smith or the Mopologists?

You get the idea but the title will be easier to come up with than your research and writing.

I think also when you finish, the august Cassius University's Mopologist Department should hold a reception and book signing - I will definitely donate for the wine and cheese!

Please don't back to far off the board- we need you to bring raw truth to the discussions here.

Best
k

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Dr Moore wrote:Dear Shulem, writing a book is a heroic undertaking, whatever your personal motives. I wish you success in articulating the many learnings from your long fought search.

Shulem wrote:Thank you, everyone, for your well-wishes and toasting me in writing my new paper, "Here Comes the Book of Abraham" which I believe will seriously damage Mormonism today.

Shulem wrote:Anyway, cheers everyone. Enjoy a drink and toast!

Pssssst. Make a website to go with it. ;-)

Dear Dr. Shades,

I am writing to ask you questions.

1. Did you think I wouldn't notice what you did to my posts?
2. Why do you keep picking on me and EAllusion with this business?
3. Don't you like us?
4. Do you see that my posts are to two different people and you messed them up?
5. Do you think that is nice to do to your people?

Jersey Girl

p.s. write back
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »