Blake Ostler Erupts with Rage on FPR

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Stem
God

Re: Blake Ostler Erupts with Rage on FPR

Post by Stem »

I have a question wrote:Great quote.

It’s good reminder for me. I’m glad the book was brought back up. I should remember not to get too excited about my position. When I do it’s likely I’m feeling a little insecure.

EAllusion
God

Post by EAllusion »

It's interesting to me that Midgely can be relentlessly nasty to people day after day after day, but in waltzes Ostler and he sees the real scandal is that someone would call him a terrible human being. So you have this egotistical, menacing bully tempered only by his incompetence, yet when someone criticizes him as a bad person, Ostler pulls out his fainting couch at how uncivil his critics are. He then calls those people "disgusting" for the cardinal sin of saying Midgely and co's behavior is, um, disgusting.

The best defense of Ostler I see here is that he's totally unaware of what's transpired, but that's really no defense either if you think about it for a second.

malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Exiled wrote:
Stem wrote:Damn my comments got deleted. Guess I’m a trouble maker

I saw a few comments were deleted. I guess Blake pulled some strings over there?

FYI, Blake claims to have found out the true identities of two commenters and is threatening to dox them.

Is Kiwi57 one of the commenters to be doxxed?
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

EAllusion wrote:It's interesting to me that Midgely can be relentlessly nasty to people day after day after day, but in waltzes Ostler and he sees the real scandal is that someone would call him a terrible human being. So you have this egotistical, menacing bully tempered only by his incompetence, yet when someone criticizes him as a bad person, Ostler pulls out his fainting couch at how uncivil his critics are. He then calls those people "disgusting" for the cardinal sin of saying Midgely and co's behavior is, um, disgusting.

The best defense of Ostler I see here is that he's totally unaware of what's transpired, but that's really no defense either if you think about it for a second.

The only defense of Ostler is a personality disorder.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Blake

SEPTEMBER 13, 2019 AT 8:29 PM

Everyone can kiss my white ass. The antics here are pathetic and childish and explain why there is a hell reserved for people like you. You people are truly disgusting.

Goodbye.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.

Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Exiled wrote:
Stem wrote:Damn my comments got deleted. Guess I’m a trouble maker

I saw a few comments were deleted. I guess Blake pulled some strings over there?

FYI, Blake claims to have found out the true identities of two commenters and is threatening to dox them.

Indeed. I'm assuming that you saw this post:

Dave White wrote:“One used a vpn but it was easy to crack because they used the same moniker before the vpn. ”

Mr. Ostler, as an attorney whose practice includes cyber-crime defense, I sincerely hope you didn’t do this. If FPR was so inclined, they could pursue criminal and civil actions against you.

Your actions could be in violation of several state and federal statutes. Publicly admitting your actions certainly doesn’t help your case. Good luck to you.

Which, of course, prompted Ostler's "exit post." You point out that comments were deleted--including one that I made where I reaffirmed that Midgley is "human garbage" (which he is, of course), and I also asked Ostler how/why he thought that Midgley's and Peterson's recent attacks on the late Grant Palmer are in any way defensible. Meanwhile, someone else was taking swipes at the fact that Ostler apparently wears a toupee. For what it's worth, it seems to me that Ostler has a lovely, resplendent head of hair. In fact, I would say that the "piece" he is sporting is much, much nicer than the one that George Costanza briefly donned on an episode of Seinfeld before Elaine defiantly tossed it out the window of Jerry's apartment.
Last edited by Doctor Scratch on Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Blake

SEPTEMBER 13, 2019 AT 8:29 PM

Everyone can kiss my white ass. The antics here are pathetic and childish and explain why there is a hell reserved for people like you. You people are truly disgusting.

Goodbye.

Kiss my black ass!

:lol:

Shulem wants to ram Facsimile No. 3 down your throat. Come on over to Mormon Discussions so I can properly manhandle you and teach you a lesson or two.

:lol:

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

Doctor Scratch wrote:I think it’s unfortunate, Blake, that you’re exiting under these circumstances, though perhaps it’s for the best. Hopefully, once you’ve calmed down, you might consider registering and posting at MormonDiscussions.com. I think you’ll find that there are a lot of people there who will gladly allow you to test out and demonstrate your “likely greater depth and acumen” on a whole host of subjects.

Oh goody, goody, goody!

Here comes Blakeboy.

What shall we talk about?

:razz:

Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Shulem wrote:Oh goody, goody, goody!

Here comes Blakeboy.

What shall we talk about?

Well, from Blake’s comments it seems like he only wants to talk about his “hair piece” or his “white ass.”

I can’t believe what I’m reading. The only explanation I can think of is that Blake must be on some kind of medication like Xanax or Ambien.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Everybody wrote:Well, from Blake’s comments it seems like he only wants to talk about his “hair piece” or his “white ass.”

I can’t believe what I’m reading. The only explanation I can think of is that Blake must be on some kind of medication like Xanax or Ambien.

Or an opiate for the masses.

HEY-O.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.

Fence Sitter
God

Post by Fence Sitter »

I am curious.

Since it appears anyone can type any name they wish when they post over there, how do we know the person calling himself Blake is actually the Blake Ostler?

If this behavior is so out of character for him maybe we are just looking at a troll.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

Fence Sitter wrote:I am curious.

Since it appears anyone can type any name they wish when they post over there, how do we know the person calling himself Blake is actually the Blake Ostler?

If this behavior is so out of character for him maybe we are just looking at a troll.

I know, I know. But who cares? We can blame it all on him anyway.

Stupid ____ Mormons.

:twisted:

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Blake
SEPTEMBER 13, 2019 AT 11:12 AM

The personal attacks tell me all that I need to know about you cowards hiding behind anonymous posts. But I have the resources to find out who you are — and I will.

If Blake joins forces with Dr. Midgley, they can implore the Mormons at the Bluffdale NSA data repository to furnish the necessary information to crush their enemies and hear the lamentations of their women.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

I don't know him well enough to know whether the behavior truly is "out of character" (from what relatively little of his stuff I've read, I've seen him get quite snippy with other people, though nothing on this scale). Of course, the context needs to be taken into consideration: something is happening concerning DCP's (apparently?) impending retirement, or perhaps a push to get him to retire, and they are enraged at the fact that people know this. And you sort of have to wonder: Why? If this is just made up spin, then why (a) do a post on "SeN"; (b) actually *show up* to contradict my comment (and bear in mind that DCP has not directly confronted me in something like 7 years or more); (c) likely create a sock puppet to try to downplay the accusation; (d) deny the (likely) fact that you created a sock puppet; (e) have one of your "personal friends" head over after you have been caterwauling about it on your private email list; and (f) watch as your friend goes ballistic trying to (fruitlessly) defend you. And (g) the *extent* of the aforementioned "going ballistic" is so royally over-the-top that comments wind up getting deleted, and both criminal and legal threats are thrown around.

But you are right: it could have been a troll.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Meadowchik
God

Post by Meadowchik »

Well, there does appear to be more than one Blake Ostler (on Facebook) with a Utah connection. On the other hand, look at FAIR Blake Ostler's public profile. His rhetoric there at the moment is of a cheap-MAGA-humour variety, in which case the current tantrum could be consistent.

kairos
God

Post by kairos »

moksha wrote:Any chance Blake Ostler was right and Dr. Midgley's recent posts have been from beyond the veil or at least partially translated?

If Woody's posts are from the other side, Royal Skousen should be notifed ASAP to have Woody check on the "ghost" committee and report on their Book of Mormon work.

k

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I hope Blake takes up Dr. Scratch's invite and comes over here. I'd like to see how someone of his high intellect and refinement can actually believe Joseph Smith saw words on the rock. Why did the plates have to disappear when "god" could have convinced the world, if the plates were actually real and verified as such by any and every expert? Perhaps Blake can explain why disappearing plates aren't part of a deception. And of course, perhaps he could explain facsimile 3 for us.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Did Dr. Lemming or Blake make it over here yet? That was a heckuva exchange going on .......I sincerely do hope Blake can make it here and calm down when his arguments get challenged and he can't refute them, and at least give it the good ole college try......
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

Shulem
Son of Perdition

Post by Shulem »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Well, from Blake’s comments it seems like he only wants to talk about his “hair piece” or his “white ass.”

I wonder what his bishop or stake president would think if he saw these online antics? Or worse yet, President NelSatan?

One thing is for sure, Blake will never, ever, appear in a future MEET THE Mormons movie. His career in testifying in public for the church is over before it even got started. He's now tainted goods for the church.

:biggrin:

Maksutov
God

Post by Maksutov »

I had no idea that Blake Ostler considers himself foremost an "American philosopher". :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_Ostler

Ostler has published widely on Mormon philosophy in journals such as Religious Studies, International Journal for the Philosophy of Religion, Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, BYU Studies and the FARMS Review of Books. He is best known for his award winning and groundbreaking four volume series entitled Exploring Mormon Thought. The first volume, The Attributes of God, addresses the attributes of God from a Mormon perspective. Ostler argues that God cannot know what acts a person will freely do in the future. The first volume also expounds a Mormon Christology or theory of Christ as both fully human and fully divine at once. Ostler also assesses the attributes of divine power, divine mutability, divine pathos, divine temporality and human and divine nature.

It's amazing how much caca some folks can get out of a con-man's hoax. So much word salad, so little nutrients. :cool: How big is your house of cards, Blake? I feel a mighty wind coming....
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov

Water Dog
God

Post by Water Dog »

I've crossed paths with Blake many times online over the years. This behavior fits quite well with those experiences. To say that he's insecure would be a polite description. Didn't know he had a wikipedia page though. That's, lol, interesting.