Midgley, keeping tabs on “the enemy”

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Midgley, keeping tabs on “the enemy”

Post by Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:I was actually offended the apologists said I was every bit like chapel Mormons. THE HELL!!!!

:lol:

I was merely a casual observer, who make a file.

I given exactly no attention to "Dr. Shades."

Pretty darn sad.

Lemmie wrote:Do you think it is dementia that has him imagining that several FairMormon members contributed to keeping a file on Dr. Shades’ IRL data?

No. It's real.

Lemmie wrote:Uncovered!? Others?! SEVERAL OTHERS?? What on earth is wrong with these people???

Business as usual, I'm afraid.

Gadianton wrote:And now on this very thread, where Midgley apparently has really fooled himself into believing that Dr. Shades from the very beginning, oh so long ago, has nefariously misrepresented himself as a Ph.D. all along, pulls something out of the docket they have on Shades.

He had that nick long before any of us (with the possible exception of one) ever laid eyes on his screen name. Those people are ridiculous.

Lemmie wrote:Either way Peterson doesn’t seem to think it’s necessary to protect his friend from himself, but maybe someone should ask him about it.

In my observation, Peterson protects himself.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb

Dr. Shades
Founder & Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Philo Sofee wrote:

I was on the FAIR email private list when you came out with this, and oh my GOD what a furor it caused for MONTHS!!!!!

BWAHAHAHA! Oh my gosh, that absolutely MAKES MY DAY. Why? Because it's proof positive that they themselves recognize it as a valid issue, as opposed to their impotent and deceptive claims that it's an empty theory with no merit.

Discussions galore, worries, and all kinds of poobah.

This is gold. Pure gold.

There is simply no way in hell John Q. Mormon is anything similar to sophisticated, well read, intelligent internet Mormon man!

The clincher, though, is that God, through His mouthpieces, is continually and constantly teaching His Mormon disciples to adopt all of these unsophisticated, non-well read, and unintelligent (by Internet Mormon standards) beliefs.

Put another way, if Chapel Mormons are rubes, it's only because they took God seriously when He, through His prophets, taught them to be that way.

MsJack wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:Still, being cyber-stalked is a very odd feeling. Perhaps I should be flattered that they consider me that important.

Not really. They enjoy picking on perceived low-hanging fruit.

Ahh, I see. But alas, I'm 100% capable of picking right back.

But, you have marshaled a Web forum that has given them a lot of trouble, and that isn't nothing.

And my offer still stands for any of them to create an account here and rebuke us all directly if they have the guts.

(Also, if you were a woman, the feeling of being cyber-stalked would be quite normal by now. Welcome to the party, pal.)

Oh wow. That's very, very disturbing. Although your experience is obviously valid, I'm going to pray that it was an outlier, and that few other women are forced to undergo anything similar.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley

Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

This post is a classic:

Daniel Peterson wrote:There's no such thing as "Mopologists," Shades.

That's a term, I know, that is favored over at your obsessive-hate site in order to demonize its chosen targets. But it's not welcome here.

I've been a target of your board's viciousness for its entire existence -- what is it? about a decade and a half now? -- and my patience for such malicious imbecility is distinctly limited.

And, please, don't feign outrage over supposed "files" or "dossiers." The hypocrisy of the pretense would be unendurable.

LOL! Gee, I'd say that there is at least as good a chance that Mopologists exist as there is that Nephites used to exist. What's funny is that his reason for arguing that Mopologists don't exist is because it's an "insult" (it's actually not intended to be that way: it's meant to be a term of clarification--i.e., to help people see the differences between, e.g., Grant Hardy, Richard Bushman, Teryl Givens, David Bokovoy, and Spencer Fluhman vs. DCP, Midgley, Gee, Kiwi57, Scott Gordon, and so on). If that is the grounds for demonstrating that something doesn't exist, well, then, I guess "anti-Mormons" don't exist either, eh?

His final line is remarkable in the extent of its mendacity. Nowhere can he point to critics doing anything *remotely* like what the Mopologists and the Church itself have been up to. Let him point to a single website that rises to the level of a SHIELDS--to say nothing of the "networked" calculations of something like the FAIR list.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

"Mopologist" is simply a contraction of "Mormon" "Apologist" much like "Anti-Mormon" describes someone who is opposed to Mormonism. But then, as the Mopologists have clarified, being "Anti-Mormon" is exactly like being an "Anti-Semite" with all the allusions to Hitler they can conjure, especially as shown in a particularly unhinged outburst posted on a particular blog that invented really uncomfortable examples of anti-Semitic hate language, that was supposedly representative of what they thought Mormon critics were being like. Pretty repulsive stuff, and to appropriate such tragedy to paint themselves, none of whom has every actually suffered at all, as victims, is repulsive.

Perhaps the word "Mopologist" could be reconsidered if they truly dislike it so much, but first, they'd need to apologize for all the many incidents of using the word "anti-Mormon" in order to demonize any critic.
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gadianton wrote:"Mopologist" is simply a contraction of "Mormon" "Apologist" much like "Anti-Mormon" describes someone who is opposed to Mormonism. But then, as the Mopologists have clarified, being "Anti-Mormon" is exactly like being an "Anti-Semite" with all the allusions to Hitler they can conjure, especially as shown in a particularly unhinged outburst posted on a particular blog that invented really uncomfortable examples of anti-Semitic hate language, that was supposedly representative of what they thought Mormon critics were being like. Pretty repulsive stuff, and to appropriate such tragedy to paint themselves, none of whom has every actually suffered at all, as victims, is repulsive.

Perhaps the word "Mopologist" could be reconsidered if they truly dislike it so much, but first, they'd need to apologize for all the many incidents of using the word "anti-Mormon" in order to demonize any critic.

Perhaps we could call them then pettyologists.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Bumping this thread, in light of Peterson’s denials that “files” are kept:
Lemmie wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:48 pm
... (Same link):
Louis Midgley Dr. Shades 3 hours ago

I am actually not at all interested in "Dr. Shades" at all. Merely a bit amused. I have, however, long been interested in critics of the Church of Jesus Christ, and even in those who are clearly crackpots driven by some malevolent passion.

Nine of the ten items were what i saved from what others, several of whom were then fellow FairMormon volunteers, had uncovered about "Dr. Shades."

I was merely a casual observer, who make a file. Except for that one instance when a very nervous and hesitant "Dr. Shades" had that conversation with Richard Anderson, I given exactly no attention to "Dr. Shades." Until he began making cameo appearances of Dan's blog, and sent a bunch of fake doctors and fake professors to opine and/or up-vote what is clearly false and evil stuff being posted by critics on Dan's blog.
Uncovered!? Others?! SEVERAL OTHERS?? What on earth is wrong with these people???

Fence Sitter
God

Post by Fence Sitter »

Lemmie wrote: Uncovered!? Others?! SEVERAL OTHERS?? What on earth is wrong with these people???
They believe they are defending Mormonism. They are not, they are defending an authoritarian out of touch leadership that has recently thrown them under the bus.
In this case what Dr Midgley admits to doing is not much more than what the Church itself admits to doing. The quote below is from a 1992 1st Presidency statement defending these J.Edgar Hoover like tactics. Notice that the current prophet was part of that committee.
"The Strengthening Church Members Committee was appointed by the First Presidency to help fulfill this need and to comply with the cited section of the Doctrine and Covenants. This committee serves as a resource to priesthood leaders throughout the world who may desire assistance on a wide variety of topics. It is a General Authority committee, currently comprised of Elder James E. Faust and Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. They work through established priesthood channels, and neither impose nor direct Church disciplinary action.
We have learned that the last line about the Church not directing or imposing disciplinary action is a lie.

The relevant D&C section:
This sacred event heralded the onset of the promised restitution of all things.' Many instructions were subsequently given to the Prophet including Section 123 of the Doctrine and Covenants:"And again, we would suggest for your consideration the propriety of all the saints gathering up a knowledge of all the facts, and sufferings and abuses put upon them. . . .
Honestly, when one is stuck inside the Mormon box, it is difficult to see how strange and, as in this case, unacceptable, such behavior looks to others. I mean, can't you just see Christ instructing two of his apostles to gather information on His followers or even His enemies?

#notwhatJesuswoulddo

Interesting side question. I wonder what the files in the SCMC have on these apologists?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:49 am
I wonder what the files in the SCMC have on these apologists?
No idea what is in them, but they are probably filed under Agents, Sleeper Agents, and Kooks.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Dr LOD
Deacon

Post by Dr LOD »

moksha wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:22 pm
Fence Sitter wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:49 am
I wonder what the files in the SCMC have on these apologists?
No idea what is in them, but they are probably filed under Agents, Sleeper Agents, and Kooks.
Here is what I know. To some they are seen as faithful warriors of the faith, others see them as a "necessary evil," and others see them as a liability. Over the past few years the opinion has shifted towards the latter.

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr LOD wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:34 pm
moksha wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:22 pm

Here is what I know. To some they are seen as faithful warriors of the faith, others see them as a "necessary evil," and others see them as a liability. Over the past few years the opinion has shifted towards the latter.
I have come to appreciate it as one of the best circus shows on the internet.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Tom wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 am
Odd behavior for one of the targets of the 1966 BYU spy debacle. Speaking of that episode, my favorite moment was when Dr. Midgley aggressively confronted BYU president Ernest Wilkinson on campus and demanded, “Why are you investigating [BYU political science professor] Ray Hillam? I have stronger feelings of hostility toward you than he does.”
Wonder if this was one of Midgley's students: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/12/21/ ... eport-BYU/

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Louis Midgley B. Wilson • an hour ago

I have been thinking about this and the answer if not all that clear. This last round has for me, for reasons that I will not go into, gotten to me. This has never happened before. I have wondered if it is my age, or if it is the extent and absurdity of the nasty, utterly false stuff about something to which there are witnesses of all sorts of witnesses. Or if it was the fact that what got to me was that the owner of the blog knew that those who were posting rubbish were flatly wrong, since it involved her own husband, and she did not put a stop to it by telling the truth, since she was fully aware of the truth. The fact is that her Bishop, Stake President, and Area President have done what they could and have held out hope right up to the point that she resigned from the Church of Jesus Christ. And I also know that her husband holds out hope for her despite everything. I was simply stunned to find out that I have become something of a issue between them. I told her husband that I was surprised to learn that she even knew my name.

Looking back, I now wish that I had not posted that very harmless item on her blog. The reason is that I did not care to see the evil it launched. And I should not have tried to defend myself. I had not fully realized that one simply cannot reason with those kind of folks.

Share ›

http://disq.us/p/2a1xfyn
Now all the push back midge is getting is Colvin’s fault??? Well, midge does make it clear that she’s the only non-LDS in all the people he described in this made-up story he continues to tweak. And he has made it perfectly clear the disdain he feels toward anyone non-LDS. Other than that, the self-victimization and narcissism on exhibit here is stunning.

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

More Lousy comments:

"Looking back, I now wish that I had not posted that very harmless item on her blog. The reason is that I did not care to see the evil it launched. And I should not have tried to defend myself. I had not fully realized that one simply cannot reason with those kind of folks."

"The fact is that her Bishop, Stake President, and Area President have done what they could and have held out hope right up to the point that she resigned from the Church of Jesus Christ."

Is he talking about all the upvoting of the mean comments made toward Gina, and the downvoting of the nice comments toward her? Do her Bishop, Stake president, and Area President know that he support a fellow Latter-day sate who called her "legion" -- essentially a son of perdition?

How about we get them involved, so they can get to know the real Lou Midgley?
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Boy, the Little Lousy Lou "the Provo bully" Midgley really can't take the ____ he dishes out regularly. When he's in his little smarmy bubble he delights in tweaking, needling, insulting, stalking, harassing, and otherwise treating others poorly all under the protection of his cabal of BYU ____. Get outside his bubble and ____ reality smacks him in his little ____ face. Good thing he found a little pond to swim in because lyin' Lou would get his ass kicked, both literally and metaphorically in the real world.

Get bent, you ____.

- Doc

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Midgley:

I was simply stunned to find out that I have become something of a issue between them.
I warned to return to this comment of Midgley’s. The level of narcissism and misunderstanding, if not outright lying, is really offensive. Unless Midgley really has a problem understanding words, there is no way he could legitimately interpret what he has read as HIM becoming an issue between Colvin and McCluskey. What people have documented is that he has attempted to insert himself between them with provocative comments, he has made improper remarks about their personal relationship, and he continues to gossip (lie) uncharitably about their personal feelings. This sort of non-regretful regret is simply him stroking his ego.

What we know about them is that, other than a report where Colvin reminded her husband that Midgley is an online bully when he sheepishly acknowledged falling for Midgley's stalking routine, Midgley doesn’t even seem to be on Colvin’s radar at all. As it should be. Maybe she talked this over with Marjorie Newton, who also just ignores him. He is clearly not at their level academically, and is just a gossipy bully, so that seems appropriate in the face of his personal attacks. I think noting his nonsense here is enough to take the wind out of his sails, and hopefully dissipate any possible effects his negative comments might possibly have on legitimate, actual academic writers.

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Lemmie wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:17 pm
Midgley: I was simply stunned to find out that I have become something of a issue between them.
Gina - Nathan, why didn't you deck that little creep when he insulted me to your face?
Nathan - Honey, it was in the chapel and he seemed like a doddering old man.
Gina - Oh all right, but keep an eye out for that trouble maker. He might even try to cause further problems from his lair in Provo. Just watch out for any more trouble makers the Stake President steers your way.
Nathan - Maybe I will carry a pocket mirror and check on whether they have a reflection before I answer them.
Gina - That should work.