more of gemli's gems

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
moksha
God

Re: more of gemli's gems

Post by moksha »

Here is one of my favorite interactions with Gemli:

Moksha gemli • 22 days ago
Gemli - But people born today have no more innate knowledge of how the universe really formed than he did...
What if they were given hidden knowledge by an angel and read stuff in an ancient buried book?

gemli Moksha • 22 days ago
Oh, well, that's different.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

moksha wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:00 am
Here is one of my favorite interactions with Gemli:

Moksha gemli • 22 days ago
Gemli - But people born today have no more innate knowledge of how the universe really formed than he did...
What if they were given hidden knowledge by an angel and read stuff in an ancient buried book?

gemli Moksha • 22 days ago
Oh, well, that's different.
:lol: That’s too funny. You guys make a great team.

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

True. Gemli and Moksha should take their act on the road.

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

Gemli wrote:I thought you'd be pleased that someone got the point of your post. Of course the point of many of your posts about science is to emphasize the wonder, uncertainty and the mystery that surrounds certain scientific topics. A title such as "The World is not as Real as we Think" implies that science is conceding the possibility of mysterious influences. It's a small step from that to the mystery of gods, angels, demons and all the other entities that populate the world of the devout devotee. Did I hit that nail on the head?
Yes, you hit the nail on the head.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

An honorary gem, rightly awarded to moksha, after Sic et Non’s resident curmudgeon demanded (demanded?) gemli’s appearance:

Moksha Louis Midgley • 3 hours ago

Science can deliver us on very high speed trains from Shenzhen to Beijing. It can possibly deliver 1.21 Gigawatts of power, but can it deliver Gemli from Lou's desire to pummel him into making a mea culpa that religion is truer, bigger, stronger and a lot more important than science?

http://disq.us/p/2a7xvil
:lol:

(Note to registrar: Three honorary gems qualify as one honorary class credit. Unlike those on Midgley’s doctoral path, we here at Cassius don’t just bypass degree requirements.)

Analytics
God

Post by Analytics »

Oh my.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

This “gem” award goes to Dr Shades, for succinctly stating the obvious in the face of the never-ending and increasingly nonsensical libeling of gemli:

You-know-who:

...which gemli never even tries to actually define, other than it being a way of understanding the natural world, and never being able to explain such things as why water runs down rather than up hill.

—-
Dr. Shades Louis Midgley

“. . . and never being able to explain such things as why water runs down rather than up hill.“

It's because of gravity.

http://disq.us/p/2actry5
:lol:

A little science goes a long way.

Temp. Admin.
Star B

Post by Temp. Admin. »

Aww, shucks. Thank you, Lemmie! It's an honor to have one of my posts mentioned among the great gemli's.

Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Yeah, I'm a bit curious about what Midgley might have been thinking about water, there. We don't fully understand gravity because we can't reconcile it with quantum mechanics? We can't explain why we often see water run downhill but never see the time-reversed flow even though it should also be a solution to the microscopic equations of motion for all the molecules?

These are real issues, all right, and kudos to Midgley if he understands them. If he does, though, he should also understand that these unresolved issues in physics, huge as they are, are as gnats compared to the camels that have to be swallowed in the more difficult disciplines whose subjects are more complex than physics. Physics is by definition the study of the simplest things, so physics doesn't have any right to boast of its successes, but you still really shouldn't pick a fight with physics about who is more ignorant.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

My pleasure, Dr. Shades!

I really don’t know where to put this, but it is too funny for this farmgirl to pass up. Maybe we need to create a “Moksha’s Bon Mots” or something, but in the meantime, with minor modifications, a gemli's gem for Moksha, for his response to someone being called “small potatoes”:
moksha wrote: ...I wondered if you would defend his potatoes. Men must guard their potatoes lest they be hoed.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Yeah, Moksha's posts make me laugh multiple times per day. I feel like Moksha should be monetizing the comedic brilliance, but suspect that happens in real life plenty.

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I'll second and third that. Moksha is one of my very favorite pick me up reads of all time. I read absolutely everything he writes and delight in it immensely! That it sails right over the heads of the apologists is pure bonus and Moksha will have his 2nd anointing from Jesus personally since he can even make the gods laugh when they lament how utterly stupid their own defenders are here on earth.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

gemli MKWhitmer • 17 hours ago

I suppose I view offense differently than you do. I don't take the slightest offense when I'm set upon by theists who deny scientific reality, or when Dr. Midgley uses my entire life story to build a stick figure of who I am.

That's probably because I'm secure in my understanding of the real world and confident that rational, evidence-based investigation will continue to transform our lives they way it has since the Enlightenment.

Those who are less secure may feel their worldviews are being threatened, and that's a shame.

http://disq.us/p/2at5y5n
Midgley and Peterson are giving the non-LDS world a very bad impression of the LDS religion.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Gemli’s on a roll:

gemli Louis Midgley • a day ago

Yes, gemli baldly asserts that evidence is required to justify belief. Those who truly believe in things that never happened will often demand that nonbelievers show evidence that pigs didn't fly or that aliens didn't probe them or that gods don't exist. Of course this is logically impossible, but they consider it a point for their side when no such evidence is forthcoming.

Gemli was not adept at higher mathematics, but it doesn't take a mathematical genius to put two and two together.

http://disq.us/p/2aswkkx
:lol: :lol: :lol:

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Let's see Gemli argue with the full force of the Interpreter science department:

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Lol. I think Midgley’s been had.

gemli tavs 9 hours ago

If it weren't for religions and the untold numbers of faithful followers, I would be bereft. If they knew how much I enjoyed arguing with them they'd probably become atheists just to spite me.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 5024686270

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

I wish Gemli would look deep into his science cap and translate the Reformed Egyptian message from this Sic et Non illustration. The sacrifice may have been attempted on this so-called "Golgi Apparatus", but we can wait for Gemli's confirmation.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

peterson gets a gemli's gem here, simply for being a lying liar:
DanielPeterson gemli 9 hours ago
For those who may be new to the board, permit me to introduce gemli:

He's a fairly innocuous representative of dogmatic atheism, one of our planet's smaller faith traditions but also one with an ancient pedigree. He likes to profess his faith here quite frequently. Please treat him kindly.
SMALLER faith traditions? What a putz.