Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Post Reply
Lemmie
God
Posts: 10000
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Lemmie »

How’s this for lack of self-awareness?

Louis Midgley noel 4 hours ago

Noel H: So you have never gotten over anger over something you and your siblings experienced because you were reported "to the Housemaster" and were "called up to his room"? How did you end up falling for the Reverend Wesley P. Walters after a debate you seem to have had over the Trinity?

It seems to me that you have an odd need to justify some youthful decision you made.

I wonder if you have found some soul satisfying unfaith or faith. If so, why can't you seem to move on?

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4899849853
So when Midge starts harping again on all things Maori, we can conclude it is because he is attempting to justify some previous bad decision, and he just can’t move on. Sounds about right.

User avatar
Doctor CamNC4Me
God
Posts: 20801
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

The Midge, “ I am, however, very much aware of, and also pleased to know, that in his last sermon, just before he assumed ground temperature, he had me in mind.”

That Keebler Elf is just SO FULL OF ____. How in the world does someone so unremarkable end up thinking so highly of himself that he’d believe for a second normal people don’t see straight through his ____ lies and embellishments? Stolen Valor Louis is pathetic.

- Doc

User avatar
Jersey Girl
God
Posts: 33147
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Jersey Girl »

Lemmie wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:09 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:25 pm


Author? Midgley?
Yes, sorry. I was too shocked to do my normal documentation. On the other hand, the fact that you recognized the ghoul says is all.
Yeah and I didn't use the link you supplied either. I rarely look in there.
“You’re a MEAN one, Mr. Midge.”

Who talks about being pleased to hear that thoughts of your mean-spiritedness tortured someone’s final moments of life? Even Mob movies tip-toe around that ____.
Um. I dunno. A socially maladapted narcissist? I'm just spit balling here. :wink:

User avatar
Dr LOD
CTR A
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:24 am

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Dr LOD »

Louis Midgley http://disq.us/p/291yrg1

And please keep in mind that Dr. Velho Burrinho, which alias means Little Old Donkey--he also goes by Dr. LOD on a certain board--began insisting last October on sic et non that I have made all of this sort of thing up and then tried to force the Maori to adopt what I have invented. The Donkey has continued to do this as recently as ten days ago on Gina Colvin's Kiwi Mormon blog. She has now resigned her membership in the Church of Jesus Christ, after becoming both an Anglican lay preacher, and also a newly minted member of the Community of Christ.
The "Professor" continues his Gina Colvin and Donkey obsessions.

To the rest of his post. Obviously Professor Midgley and the LDS church didn't force the Maori to believe anything. But they did push and promote a imaginary made up story of the origin of the two continents of people and Polynesia to support their religious narrative. It is still cultural appropriation at its finest. If he is going to say I am a Lamanite because I am Native American, I reserve the right to call BS, on the racist stories that led him to such a belief.

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10000
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Lemmie »

Louis Midgley Sam LeFevre 3 hours ago

It it had been the Maori Rongo, or the Hawaiian Lono, it would have been both amusing and also a bit authentic.
I think that I failed to mention that the very eminent, kindly and well-informed Dr. Vehlo Burrinho insists that I have fashioned a Maori world out of thin air and then tried to force the Maori Latter-day Saints to adopt what I had invented so that I can have a kind of trophy Maori to bolster my own faith.

Eight days ago he the Donkey accused me of a "racist explanation of the Maori" in essays in which I set out the nineteenth century Maori Latter-day Saint historical narrative. He claims that I "have appropriated their culture and made the Maori People into faith promoting mascots, in a vain and weak attempt to support" my own "personal belief system." Then he complained that I had "leveled the claim that" he "was being 'racially hostile to the Maori' for saying this."

The Donkey's parting shot was as follows: "No, Sir your actions are the only racist and hostile actions to be found."
Professor Peterson has witnessed my "racist and hostile actions" toward Maori Latter-day Saints even in New Zealand yet.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4901651648
Oh look, another lie from Lou-Lou the Midge-faced Boy, cowardly attacking a fake story.

I’m chalking this up to a narcissist, feeling shamed and inadequate, who rather than dealing with the real situation, decides to obsessively create a straw man to attack. The Midgester is too afraid of his own inadequacies to respond directly to Dr LOD, so he responds to fake stuff, behind the skirts of his Mommy-protector. Both of whom were dismissed from the Maxwell Institute, I would imagine for nonsense exactly like this.

I left the LDS church because it is a fake religion, but I still appreciate the integrity and honesty of my family members. Louise Midgley is a horrible, horrible person, whose nasty mean-spiritedness would NEVER have been tolerated in my family. His kind of piggish mean-ness might be slightly acceptable in a toddler learning to deal with the real world, barely, but in an adult? How is this kind of behavior tolerated? What kind of family, LDS, Mormon or otherwise, tolerates an ass like this?

User avatar
Jersey Girl
God
Posts: 33147
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Jersey Girl »

Lemmie wrote: How is this kind of behavior tolerated? What kind of family, LDS, Mormon or otherwise, tolerates an ass like this?
Well, obviously it's tolerated in families and groups of posters who never had a real testimony. If they did they wouldn't behave that way nor would it be tolerated.

User avatar
moksha
God
Posts: 21845
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by moksha »

Moksha • a day ago
Is there any reason to believe people will be slow to return or will not return at all? I suppose frequent confessors can unload their burden at the Starbucks order counter and be given a pumpkin spice latte as penance.

Louis Midgley Moksha • 3 hours ago
Dunce is at it again.

-------------
Why is Midgley such a miserable old coot? Most older non-apologist LDS people, that I know, are kind and nurturing. Is such nastiness the end result of practicing a life of LDS apologetics?

:question:

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10000
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Lemmie »


Louis Midgley gemli 11 hours ago

gemli: "Chiasmus is not not unique to the Book of Mormon, as Gemli [sic gemli] explained in a comment above."

lcm: The fact is this is why Latter-day Saints see it as solid evidence that the Book of Mormon is an authentic ancient history. The existence of such a complicated literary pattern was not known* when the Book of Mormon was published. It was just over fifty years ago that anyone noticed that the Book of Mormon is full of chiasmus.

And critics have subsequently argued that it is in the Book of Mormon merely by accident. Some may even recall that this assertion soon become known as the Butthead argument.**
*First of all, Quinn’s footnote 108 goes into great detail showing not only that that is not true, but that J. Welch knew it was not true when he wrote otherwise.

**And second, is Midgley actually referring to the “Metcalfe is Butthead” phrase, almost distributed in a FARMS publication, until more intelligent heads prevailed and brought the printing to a stop?

I only knew the barebones of this story, but didn’t knew about the article that started it so I did a little reading, and found Midgley’s “apology” and an interesting reference to chiasmus, of sorts:

In 1994, an entire issue of the Review was devoted to a careful critical commentary on Metcalfe’s New Approaches to the Book of Mormon (Signature Books, 1993), with one additional essay by Bill Hamblin examining the essay by Brent Metcalfe, which had been published in 1993 in Dialogue. In that essay, Brent had argued, among other things, that the hosts of inverted parallelisms that are clearly in the Book of Mormon are merely accidental. To test this proposition, Hamblin fashioned an acrostic consisting of the first letter of each full paragraph that read “Metcalfe is Butthead.” The point of doing that, in addition to having a bit of quite harmless fun, was to demonstrate that complicated literary devices are not accidental but must be intentional....

Now I agree with those who at the time were involved with what was called FARMS that the particular message buried in that acrostic was tasteless and inappropriate. I also wish to apologize for whatever real, and not merely imagined offense, this might have been to Brent. All of those involved with the old FARMS and now the Maxwell Institute, of course, deeply regret any emotional strain this put upon Brent by that acrostic...

http://shields-research.org/WP/?p=38
Decent apology. Although how “a bit of harmless fun” can also be a “tasteless and inappropriate” “real ...offense” is beyond me.

Unfortunately the apology is obviated by Midgley’s referring to the assertion now as “the Butthead argument.”

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10000
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Lemmie »

moksha wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:40 am
Moksha • a day ago
Is there any reason to believe people will be slow to return or will not return at all? I suppose frequent confessors can unload their burden at the Starbucks order counter and be given a pumpkin spice latte as penance.

Louis Midgley Moksha • 3 hours ago
Dunce is at it again.

-------------
Why is Midgley such a miserable old coot? Most older non-apologist LDS people, that I know, are kind and nurturing. Is such nastiness the end result of practicing a life of LDS apologetics?

:question:
Ouch. I get the sense Midgley was a miserable coot even when he was young, if that’s any consolation.

Gadianton
Hermit
Posts: 9564
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 pm

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Gadianton »

Dr. LOD wrote:To the rest of his post. Obviously Professor Midgley and the LDS church didn't force the Maori to believe anything. But they did push and promote a imaginary made up story of the origin of the two continents of people and Polynesia to support their religious narrative. It is still cultural appropriation at its finest. If he is going to say I am a Lamanite because I am Native American, I reserve the right to call BS, on the racist stories that led him to such a belief.
Very well said, Doctor.

And by the way, independent of what anybody else has said or hasn't said, his statement about converting a Maori to hold up as a trophy understates the reality. He shot for true greatness: a nation of Maori grateful to him, the great white missionary for bringing them the truth about their identity.

User avatar
Dr LOD
CTR A
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:24 am

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Dr LOD »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:59 am
Very well said, Doctor.

And by the way, independent of what anybody else has said or hasn't said, his statement about converting a Maori to hold up as a trophy understates the reality. He shot for true greatness: a nation of Maori grateful to him, the great white missionary for bringing them the truth about their identity.
Thanks,

You pretty much described the true nature of many of the Mopologetic individuals, which is the selfish drawing attention to oneself from those in authority. Anyone who can't give these individuals that type of self aggrandizing feedback is unimportant only to be used.

User avatar
Doctor CamNC4Me
God
Posts: 20801
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Louis is whining about Dan Peterson pointing out his stolen valor:

"Incidentally, Professor Midgley, somewhere I've seen one or two of these same fine anonymous individuals accusing you of having lied not only about your graduate studies but about your military service. You're evidently guilty of "stolen valor," in the manner of a politician who makes up false stories about his years as a warrior (e.g., https://www.nytimes.com/201...."

In a somewhat appropriately amusing mistake, Mr. Peterson posts a broken link. This, however, doesn't excuse what Mr. Midgley has been doing with regard to 'stolen valor' when he tacitly admits he used to do just that:

"I almost want to see the claim that I have "stolen valour" by making up my having been drafted and sent to Fort Ord and then managing to survive that experience, and so forth. My kids would love to know that I made all that up and that my wife was in on the fabrication. They would be stunned to find out that I managed to fake all those slides that I sometimes forced them to watch, and invented all those stories that I told, with Ireta, of course, playing alone."

To reiterate:

"... AND INVENTED ALL THOSE STORIES I TOLD..."

Freud couldn't have created created a slip so large if he had tried.

Whatever the case may be, stolen valor, as we know, isn't just lying about whether or not you made it to Boot Camp, but what stories you invented about your service that you tell others. Louis C. Midgley is, in fact, guilty of stealing valor that wasn't his, creating stories that don't add up, and who's service, where he admitted to going AWOL with his young male companion, is documented fact.

I also want to point out how odd it is that Louis' service isn't a part of his official bio nor his wiki page. That's a HUGE gap in personal history that's just too odd to not notice. Something's up with his service. I strongly urge Louis post his DD-214 so we can at least see if he finished his tour with honor.

- Doc

Gadianton
Hermit
Posts: 9564
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 pm

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Gadianton »

Huh. I have yet to see an accusation that Midgley lied about his graduate studies. If someone could point me to such a claim, I'd be interested.

User avatar
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies
Posts: 7714
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:44 am

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:43 pm
Huh. I have yet to see an accusation that Midgley lied about his graduate studies. If someone could point me to such a claim, I'd be interested.
I dunno--this one, for me, is a bit of a tough call. The criticism has to do with some of Midgley's typical boasting. As you and others probably recall, Midgley has boasted on more than one occasion that some of his grad school requirements were "waived" because the Powers That Be at his university (Brown, right?) were "so impressed" with his LDS mission experiences that they told him that he didn't have to bother with certain normal curricular requirements. Now, I would be the first one to say that this certainly sounds like a tall tale. Midgley is no spring chicken and his grad school experience probably dates back to well before a whole lot of discrimination and diversity-related law, but to give special advantages to somebody because of their religious denomination and experiences.... Well, that doesn't seem very fair at all, does it? But it sure shows how much the Ivy League respects Mormons and the things they do! If Muslim students have completed a pilgrimage to Mecca, do they get requirements waived, too?

The story has always felt like an exaggeration, or like a classic instance of Mopologetics: where something is inflated or made up in order to bolster the Church's reputation. So, is Midgley "lying" about his "graduate studies"? I honestly don't know. But I do think that story he's repeatedly told sounds awfully suspect.

Gadianton
Hermit
Posts: 9564
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 pm

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Gadianton »

You are correct about that story being told, Professor. I spoke about this very thing on Gina Colvin's blog, and I have to wonder if *that* is where the accusation is coming from. But as I've always said, my memory isn't the greatest and I don't read every thread, and so I don't want to accuse anyone of lying if there is another possible source out there.

I'll admit that I'm partial to believing Mr. Midgley told the truth in this instance. Don't ask me why a respectable school would do such a thing, but I have little doubt that universities aren't fully immune from corruption. I hate to use Lemmie as an example, but suppose Lemmie were to tell me that her college was so great, because she got some grad credits covered for the time she spent working in the Casinos and seeing stats work in real life. Wouldn't that be weird? I mean, it directly calls into question the actual course material that wasn't completed, that others are required to complete, but that kind of favoritism raises questions about how seriously the final dissertation was scrutinized.

You know, with all the bluster about "fake doctors" these kinds of stories don't seem to be the kind of stories a person taking the moral high ground for their own academic accomplishments should be bragging about.

User avatar
moksha
God
Posts: 21845
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by moksha »

Do braggadocio-type stories accompany those people who like to be bullies?

User avatar
Doctor CamNC4Me
God
Posts: 20801
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Louis is still whining about his rule-violating behavior being documented, along with his ____ stories, stolen valor, and dubious academic claims/accomplishments:

“Did not Fred Kratz seem certain that I routinely engage in what he called "personal attacks and name calling within the comments" that I "make in this venue"--that is, sic et non>? Should Fred Kratz not have had the evidence right there at his fingertips ready to post that would prove that I am a bloody monster? And that I constantly violate Patheos rules about comments?

Fred Kratz can't cite the rubbish fabricated on the Shady board about my many terrible crimes, since "this venue" is right here on Dan's blog where he said that I routinely engage in "personal attacks and name calling."

I have read the rules that Patheos sets out. And I have much enjoyed pointing out that those from [i removed irl info here- Doc] dismal Dr. Shades board violated those posting rules when they fired away at me on the Patheos blog by Kiwi Mormon. Oh the delicious irony.

Finally there are simply no "specific guidelines" set out by the Brethren that prevent a vigorous response to the kind of rubbish that Fred Kratz and other sworn enemies of the faith of Latter-day Saints publish or vent on blogs and boards.“

You’ll note he’s constantly doxxing Dr. Shades.

- Doc

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10000
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Lemmie »

From an earlier post:
Louis Midgley

...that the particular message buried in that acrostic was tasteless and inappropriate. I also wish to apologize for whatever real... offense... this might have been to Brent.

All of those involved with the old FARMS and now the Maxwell Institute, of course, deeply regret any emotional strain this put upon Brent by that acrostic...

http://shields-research.org/WP/?p=38
How nice. Of course, the above Is rendered meaningless by what he says now:
Louis Midgley:

This has forced those determined to claim that Joseph Smith simply made up the Book of Mormon to insist that the very complicated instances of chiasmus in the Book of Mormon are merely accidents.

Put bluntly, and for the amusement of some Latter-day Saints, only a Butthead would make this claim.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4911200509
“For the amusement of some LDS”? Wow.

User avatar
moksha
God
Posts: 21845
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by moksha »

Louis Midgley wrote:Finally there are simply no "specific guidelines" set out by the Brethren that prevent a vigorous response to the kind of rubbish that Fred Kratz and other sworn enemies of the faith of Latter-day Saints publish or vent on blogs and boards.“
Don't think those things which are of virtue and good report can be found in Midgley's blog comments.

Lemmie
God
Posts: 10000
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Lemmie »

Louis Midgley Louis Midgley • 2 days ago

Please notice that Charles has gone dark. It seems that it has never entered his head that having a fullness does not entail others having much that can be appreciated and deserves praise.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4914456176
I’m trying to understand this as charitably as possible, but is this Mormon really suggesting that if his religion is a “fullness,” then by definition no one else has much ”that can be appreciated and deserves praise”?

What do you even say to such a misanthrope? The damage he continues to wreak on the reputation of his religion is extreme.

Gadianton
Hermit
Posts: 9564
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 pm

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by Gadianton »

That's exactly what he's saying, although I would give him the benefit of the doubt as meaning "having a fullness does not preclude others having much that can be appreciated..." I'll give DCP 24 hours to inform Midgley so that he can correct his mistake if indeed it was a mistake.

The apologists are in a bind. They fight secularism more often than anything else lately, and to fight secularism they can't exactly say what they really believe, that other churches are filled with a bunch of nonsense. Remember Joseph Smith making fun of the Trinity: that's a big jolly God! LOL!

But if the restored gospel doesn't make a material difference, then what's the point of being Mormon? Why follow Rusty the Tin Man and his hundred billion disciples? Slightly better window dressing for their heavenly mansions? Not of Rusty has to foot the bill!

Gemli put them in this fork in a brilliant move that had no response except for a downvote by Kiwi57 at the time. I can't remember the thread. I've been really busy. Gemli asked what they would rather him do, go back to believing what he was taught as a Catholic as a youth, that God is going to send everyone except Catholics to hell, or believe as he believes now?

There weren't any responses at the time, but the obvious move for Mr. M and anyone who dares to respond with more than an easy downvote, is to tell Gemli that he misunderstood Catholic teachings as a youth or is lying about them. Essentially, they have to do now to Gemli what Mr. Migdley has already done with the Maori, and tell him what his ancestors believed because they apparently, didn't know.

Post Reply