Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
moksha
God

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by moksha »

Dr. Peterson's message to Moksha (and the Shades Board)
Dr. Peterson" wrote:
Moksha wrote:"Partaking of the Sacrament and verbal and poisoned pen attacks are not only unrelated, they are antithetical to one another."
“O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!" (Robert Burns)

I'm afraid, Moksha, that I'm going to have to bid you adieu. I genuinely wish you well.

Your comments here, which (you surely have to admit) have mostly been devoted to chiding certain other commenters on this blog and to jabbing LDS "apologetics" and the beliefs and culture of the Latter-day Saints more generally, have inescapably been received in the context of the place on the Web from which you come. That has tainted them, and you. And it has provoked division, and evoked a spirit here that I heartily dislike.

Most recently, my integrity has come under attack because an evidently well-heeled participant on your message board made a substantial donation to the Interpreter Foundation some time back on the understanding that I would attempt to dampen the fires of hostility toward that message board on the part of its longstanding targets (who, by the way, continue to be victims of daily vituperation and defamation there). He mistakenly believes me to have reneged on that understanding, and publicly accuses me of dishonesty. I dislike being called dishonest.

I've previously shown the exit from Sic et Non to at least two other people from your message board, and I believe that doing so had a discernible salutary impact on the level of discourse here in Sic et Non's comments section.. Now I'm doing the same to you and to tavs/Charles.

I'm more sorry about your departure, I'll admit, than I am about that of tavs/Charles. But I regret both.

However, I believe that things will improve here in your absence, with this blog and your message board as strictly separated from one another as I can make them. My goal, as it is the donor's, is to reduce criticism, even mention, of your message board here to a bare minimum. (I ask the cooperation of commenters here to that end.)

Of course, under the indulgent eye of that one-time Interpreter donor, you -- and others, including the donor himself -- will still be entirely free to chide us, deride us, mock us, criticize us, misrepresent us, denounce us, and lament our wickedness back at your message board, where doing so is a principal daily focus. So it's not as if you'll be completely muzzled.

Again, I wish you well.
Dr. Peterson was nice in wishing me well and I appreciate that. He is right about the free speech nature of this board. It is open for me to post, and for him to frequently read. I actually thank him for making this post since at least now I know that the final straw was affirming to Dr. Midgley that, "Partaking of the Sacrament and verbal and poisoned pen attacks are not only unrelated, they are antithetical to one another", and not due to some horrendous ceremony where Lou and Kiwi dressed up as ancient Cureloms and cackled at the moon in supplication to ban me.
Last edited by moksha on Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

That’s too bad Moksha. I noticed all the junior tier appears United in voting off non-TBMs. They really have little confidence i their beliefs.

The bottom line for dan probably is Lou is becoming an increasing embarrassment and anything to keep the alligator’s teeth from snapping he’s got to try.

You’d think having the Holy Spirit as a constant companion would help cool their jets, but no, God boils within their veins as molten anger.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.

I have a question
God

Post by I have a question »

Dr. Peterson's message to Moksha (and the Shades Board)
Dr. Peterson" wrote:
“O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!" (Robert Burns)

I'm afraid, Moksha, that I'm going to have to bid you adieu. I genuinely wish you well.

Your comments here, which (you surely have to admit) have mostly been devoted to chiding certain other commenters on this blog and to jabbing LDS "apologetics" and the beliefs and culture of the Latter-day Saints more generally, have inescapably been received in the context of the place on the Web from which you come. That has tainted them, and you. And it has provoked division, and evoked a spirit here that I heartily dislike.

Most recently, my integrity has come under attack because an evidently well-heeled participant on your message board made a substantial donation to the Interpreter Foundation some time back on the understanding that I would attempt to dampen the fires of hostility toward that message board on the part of its longstanding targets (who, by the way, continue to be victims of daily vituperation and defamation there). He mistakenly believes me to have reneged on that understanding, and publicly accuses me of dishonesty. I dislike being called dishonest.

I've previously shown the exit from Sic et Non to at least two other people from your message board, and I believe that doing so had a discernible salutary impact on the level of discourse here in Sic et Non's comments section.. Now I'm doing the same to you and to tavs/Charles.

I'm more sorry about your departure, I'll admit, than I am about that of tavs/Charles. But I regret both.

However, I believe that things will improve here in your absence, with this blog and your message board as strictly separated from one another as I can make them. My goal, as it is the donor's, is to reduce criticism, even mention, of your message board here to a bare minimum. (I ask the cooperation of commenters here to that end.)

Of course, under the indulgent eye of that one-time Interpreter donor, you -- and others, including the donor himself -- will still be entirely free to chide us, deride us, mock us, criticize us, misrepresent us, denounce us, and lament our wickedness back at your message board, where doing so is a principal daily focus. So it's not as if you'll be completely muzzled.

Again, I wish you well.
You can buy anything in this world for money...even Peterson.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

So Peterson boots two people, but kiwi and Midgley just find other targets, and Peterson himself throws gasoline daily on “the fires of hostility toward that board,” as Dr Moore recently documented, and somehow Sic et Non gets nasty again. DCP blames others, again, and refers to his own dishonesty repeatedly, even though he “dislike[s) being called dishonest.” Go figure.

I have a question
God

Post by I have a question »

Lemmie wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:55 am
So Peterson boots two people, but kiwi and Midgley just find other targets, and Peterson himself throws gasoline daily on “the fires of hostility toward that board,” as Dr Moore recently documented, and somehow Sic et Non gets nasty again. DCP blames others, again, and refers to his own dishonesty repeatedly, even though he “dislike[s) being called dishonest.” Go figure.
Does that cyclical, blaming others, victimhood etc style remind you of someone...?

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Lemmie wrote:
So Peterson boots two people, but kiwi and Midgley just find other targets,
"There will not be as much blood around the Sic et Non enclosure if my hounds cannot find as juicy of targets." Or so Dr. Peterson reasons.
and Peterson himself throws gasoline daily on “the fires of hostility toward that board,”

Not sure about any gasoline, but he did not use a rolled-up newspaper and the words, Bad Hell Hounds!!! Having been feral for so long, it would be difficult to teach them to heel and to learn new tricks, but it could be done.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

I have a question wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:14 am
Lemmie wrote:
Does that cyclical, blaming others, victimhood etc style remind you of someone...?
You know, I have always felt that a strong explanation for the gymnast was that he had a senior missionary calling that involved online trolling!!!

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Having been feral for so long, it would be difficult to teach them....
You are referring to Midgley, no doubt.... Rotflmao!!!

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I noticed that Kiwi “AK” 57 and Louis “peckerhead” Midgley continue to pile on the genial and polite Moksha after the latter has been banned by Mr. Peterson. :/

- Doc

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:26 pm
I noticed that Kiwi “AK” 57 and Louis “peckerhead” Midgley continue to pile on the genial and polite Moksha after the latter has been banned by Mr. Peterson. :/

- Doc
Of course, it's the only way they can actually win an argument......
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

"I would attempt to dampen the fires of hostility toward that message board on the part of its longstanding targets"

"Of course, under the indulgent eye of that one-time Interpreter donor, you -- and others, including the donor himself -- will still be entirely free to chide us, deride us, mock us, criticize us, misrepresent us, denounce us, and lament our wickedness back at your message board, where doing so is a principal daily focus. So it's not as if you'll be completely muzzled."

That sounds more like fueling the hostility to me. Not that I really care. I had nothing to do with Dr. Moore's agreements, and I really don't get why the deal was taken. But apparently it was.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

I was just thinking of that movie, you know, the one where the famed Mt. Olympian Neil A. Maxwell stands on the watchtower looking out to sea for enemy ships. I was especially fond of that scene where Maxwell spots a ship, but cannot make out the flag it is flying. One of the younger acolytes is able to discern the markings.

"Oh, great and powerful Maxwell, it is a ship from the Academics. [Some naughty words are spoken which will later need 16th Century translators to interpret]. "Academics!", shouted Maxwell, "they must not be allowed to reach our sacred shore; no uncontested landings today!"

"What are your orders, Sire?" The Olympian drew himself up to full measure and shouted the order:
Release the Kraken! Let us see how these so-called "Academics" deal with our Midgley.
The huge metal cage door swung open and the monstrous Kraken swam forth. One of the soldiers nudged his comrade and whispered, "it may look puny for a monster, but I doubt there has ever been one so ferocious. It can spit acidic venom over a hundred feet". The creature turned to face the Olympian. With a stern look, the Olympian shouted his orders, "Destroy the Academic's vessel and devour the Academics".

The Kraken turned and swam straight to the vessel. It was quite a battle. The Academics raised the shield of valid information, while the Kraken spewed its acidic venom. The Academics fired a volley of reason at the Kraken-Midgley and it visibly weakened.

"Sire", Praetorian Peterson said to the Olympian Maxwell, "the Kraken cannot long survive out of its protective cage. Shall we release the junior Kraken, the ones the keepers call Kiwi?" "No, it too will founder in unprotected water."

"Keepers, recall the Kraken. Make sure you feed it several sacrificial lambs tonight so that it may regain its strength in the navel and toxic sludge in its bones. Those Academics will think twice before they engage with the likes of us."

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Moksha:

You'll be better off not having to deal directly with those who take myth and fantastical religious stories seriously and attack you for making fun of their silly nonsense. They don't have a sense of humor, clearly. They suffer from the shame of having to continually defend and/or invent crazy theories to justify historicity or whatever other lies Joseph Smith and Brigham Young made and took it out on you on a daily basis. You were a real trooper over there and was the main reason I kept reading the Sic et Non comments section.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Louis "peckerhead" Midgley, in light of Dowsin' Dan Peterson's retirement announcement on his vanity blog, decided to take a shot at Brian Hauglid:

"Louis Midgley warning DanielPeterson

One can be certain that Professor Peterson will not pull a Hauglid when he retires."

More info can be found here as to why the peckerhead feels the need to wage 'war' against the good professor Hauglid:

https://radiofreemormon.org/2020/07/rad ... interview/

"Radio Free Mormon: 184: The Brian Hauglid Interview

Professor Brian Hauglid is recently retired from BYU where he spent 21-years as Professor of Ancient Scripture. The extensive work he has done on the Book of Abraham manuscripts has led him to state publicly that the “scholarship” of Book of Abraham apologists such as John Gee and Kerry Muhlestein is “abhorrent.” Professor Hauglid explains the research that has led him to this conclusion and a changing in his views on the Book of Abraham."

- Doc

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Louis Midgley gemli 2 hours ago

gemlik did not daringly "came out as an atheist" when he his employers were Roman Catholic, but as gemli. He was sent packing by his Roman Catholic employers,

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 5047849128
Sigh. Gemli tolerates a lot from The Uninformed.

Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

An out-of-the-blue attack on Philo:
Louis Midgley wrote:I think this weird voting is the work of Kerry. If so, he should be ashamed. He has to know better.
Daniel Peterson wrote:Kerry's nasty personal hostility toward people who always treated him well is shocking and sad.

But I don't know whether this clown is Kerry or not. It's an absolute certainty, though, that our manic up- and down-voter is somebody associated with Kerry's message board, a wonderful place of which it would be very wrong ever to say anything negative or critical.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Well whoever it is, they aren't taking any victory laps or seeking credit. The photos and user names of the mass upvoter at Sic et Non cannot be seen as anything but an offensive graffiti on Dan's blog. Bad taste and bad form. I personally wish whoever it is would stop.

I guess that person might also be a user here, but that is not certain, and who cares? That person is likely also a U.S. citizen and a customer of AT&T, Comcast or Verizon. Should those organizations be eschewed for harboring this bad actor?

Lastly, if the person behind those targeted upvote accounts were to make themselves known here, I surmise most users on the board would express disappointment at the disgusting harassment and exploitation of Disqus' weak control systems to score childish jollies.

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

How do the denizens of Sic et Non explain themselves to regular non-dagger laden Church members who stumble upon the site? Would they see Lou and Kiwi as their burden to bear? Sort of the Porter Orrin Rockwell assassins to Dr. Peterson's Brigham Young?

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:15 pm
The photos and user names of the mass upvoter at Sic et Non cannot be seen as anything but an offensive graffiti on Dan's blog.
When I posted there, I couldn't help but think those up and downvoters were funny, both for their names, but also for dishing out a taste of their own medicine to the regulars. I can see upvoting as means of encouragement, but when coupled with the downvoting it became the staple mean girlism of Sic et Non.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Louis "peckerhead" Midgley thinks he's being clever when he continues to bash gemli with this latest thick-skulled insult:

"Louis Midgley >gemli

I wonder if gemli could right now call our attention to an academic book on historical method from which he learned stories are merely worthless myths, while accounts of the past are not mere stories, and so forth. Did gemli, I wonder, read the excellent review of John Gray's important Seven Types of Atheism, which was published in 2018. Both Gray and the reviewers do not believe in God. I very much doubt that he did.

Has gemli even heard of an academic journal entitled Free Inquiry, which is published by the largest publisher of atheist book, and various other kinds of propaganda in the English speaking world? Does he know the name of this publisher?J"

I love how the peckhead just googles something, and because his throttle is stuck in the open position while he's stuck in neutral, comes up with some clever missive that no one can possibly understand because he forgets to, you know, actually mention "the review" that would totes make gemli look foolish.

Well. Thanks to the beady-eyed little goblin I took the opportunity and found a review. And I read it. And it was excellent. In particular:

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the ... -illusion/

"There is an overblown fear that rejection of a divine law-maker, the smashing of the tablets, implies an irrevocable ethical nihilism. A fallacy in this, for it ignores that whether or not God is real, we’re real. And we can know what it means to feel pain, and in empathy tend to the wounds of the injured; that we can know what it means to feel sorrow, and we can console the mourning; that we can know what it means to feel joy, and we can celebrate with our sisters and brothers, whether or not God is in heaven."

Thanks, peckerhead! Gemli, as usual, is right.

- Doc

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:07 pm
An out-of-the-blue attack on Philo:
Louis Midgley wrote:I think this weird voting is the work of Kerry. If so, he should be ashamed. He has to know better.
Daniel Peterson wrote:Kerry's nasty personal hostility toward people who always treated him well is shocking and sad.

But I don't know whether this clown is Kerry or not. It's an absolute certainty, though, that our manic up- and down-voter is somebody associated with Kerry's message board, a wonderful place of which it would be very wrong ever to say anything negative or critical.
Philo says
It wasn't me at all. Amusingly, we now know the Holy Ghost doesn't exactly help out the apologists with real revelations of actual knowledge. These clowns are desperate.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."