DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr LOD
CTR A

Re: DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

Post by Dr LOD »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:53 pm
I'm beginning to wonder if there are problems with Coach's academic work as well. Has anyone checked it? I wouldn't be surprised if something was found. The evidence above is pretty damning concerning his work on his blog, interpreter, and his deseret news articles.
There definitely seems to be a pattern here. I'm not too concerned with what he posts on his blog. The more concerning part are the examples posted in this thread of the "published" works.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Dr LOD wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:30 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:53 pm
I'm beginning to wonder if there are problems with Coach's academic work as well. Has anyone checked it? I wouldn't be surprised if something was found. The evidence above is pretty damning concerning his work on his blog, interpreter, and his deseret news articles.
There definitely seems to be a pattern here. I'm not too concerned with what he posts on his blog. The more concerning part are the examples posted in this thread of the "published" works.
The people who own the intellectual property that Peterson posts on his blog would disagree.

As an example, from an earlier post which documented plagiarism of a Sci Am article in a blog entry by Peterson, note that Scientific American considers “posting on a website/blog” to be a category requiring not only payment for use+of copyrighted material, but also a limitation to use on a blog, after payment, of no more than 20%:

Note that Scientific American allows use of their materials for a fee:
Tiny Worms Survive Forces 400,000 Times Stronger Than Gravity on Earth
Author: Katherine Kornei
Publication: Scientific American
Publisher: SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN, a Division of Springer Nature America, Inc.
Date: Aug 1, 2018
Copyright © 2018, Scientific American, Inc.

Welcome to RightsLink

SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN, a Division of Springer Nature America, Inc. has partnered with Copyright Clearance Center's RightsLink service to offer a variety of options for reusing this content.

https://s100.copyright.com/AppDispatchServlet#formTop
If you select

I would like to .... post on a website/blog

Then a warning pops up:
Scientific American content shall not make up more than 20% of your new work.
Peterson posted 8 sentences, 6 and 1/2 of which are outright plagiarism, which in my estimation means Sci Am content has made up more than 80% of Peterson’s “new” work, with not a single quotation mark in sight.

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Hot off the presses, Friday May 8, 2020, is yet another instance of that lazy shortcut around forming ideas using one's own words, opting instead to copy and paste the words of others, without attribution. Also known as plagiarism.

Love how the Wikipedia sources are also copied in, giving the appearance of proper attribution of the ideas, but failing to properly quote or attribute the borrowed words and phrases to the obvious source, Wikipedia.

Funny how the root sources -- where direct quotes from the Talmud ARE provided -- are all taken precisely from the Wikipedia source list.

Original: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torah_study
Copied by Peterson: https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... salvation/

Golly, I wonder if BYU administrators are giving out free passes to students caught plagiarizing Wikipedia too? If not, all a student need do is point the honor code office to this thread and ask for consistency in applying the standard.

Dr LOD
CTR A

Post by Dr LOD »

Lemmie wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:50 pm
The people who own the intellectual property that Peterson posts on his blog would disagree.

As an example, from an earlier post which documented plagiarism of a Sci Am article in a blog entry by Peterson, note that Scientific American considers “posting on a website/blog” to be a category requiring not only payment for use+of copyrighted material, but also a limitation to use on a blog, after payment, of no more than 20%:
You are correct. I think in his position as a tenured professor the worst example of his plagiarism is, what has been published in academic journals. Although I cringe at the thought of giving the Interpreter that level of respect with that statement.

Because behavior like has not put in check I wonder about the intellectual integrity of those who are in supervisory positions of the Professor.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Dr LOD wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:06 pm
Lemmie wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:50 pm

You are correct. I think in his position as a tenured professor the worst example of his plagiarism is, what has been published in academic journals. Although I cringe at the thought of giving the Interpreter that level of respect with that statement.
:rolleyes: Excellent point.
Because behavior like has not put in check I wonder about the intellectual integrity of those who are in supervisory positions of the Professor.
Early on in this thread, Kishkumen brought to my attention a case in which a newly inaugurated BYU President plagiarized a speech, and BYU did nothing. This was late 90s, iirc. In his opinion, if he doesn’t mind me paraphrasing, if no one at BYU objected to that, why would anyone there care if Peterson does it also?

I found that to be an utterly disturbing and depressing set of circumstances, and like you, caused me to wonder about “the intellectual integrity” of those in charge. In my opinion;, it is unconscionable. Peterson clearly violates BYU’s honor code, whether it is in a journal, on a blog, or at Deseret News. (This thread documents plagiarized work at all three locations.) It is partly the reason I continue this thread. Someone needs to document the lack of intellectual honesty going on.

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Welcome to RightsLink

SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN, a Division of Springer Nature America, Inc. has partnered with Copyright Clearance Center's RightsLink service to offer a variety of options for reusing this content.
Lawyers sucking money out of information distribution.

Tom
Savior (mortal ministry)

Post by Tom »

Dr Moore wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:03 pm
Hot off the presses, Friday May 8, 2020, is yet another instance of that lazy shortcut around forming ideas using one's own words, opting instead to copy and paste the words of others, without attribution. Also known as plagiarism.

Love how the Wikipedia sources are also copied in, giving the appearance of proper attribution of the ideas, but failing to properly quote or attribute the borrowed words and phrases to the obvious source, Wikipedia.

Funny how the root sources -- where direct quotes from the Talmud ARE provided -- are all taken precisely from the Wikipedia source list.

Original: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torah_study
Copied by Peterson: https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... salvation/

Golly, I wonder if BYU administrators are giving out free passes to students caught plagiarizing Wikipedia too? If not, all a student need do is point the honor code office to this thread and ask for consistency in applying the standard.
It shouldn’t be presumed that Dr. Peterson is unfamiliar with the Babylonian Talmud. He owns a copy and can easily recall and recite dozens of passages from it. Moreover, he’s a contributor to it.