DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: DCP's ongoing problem with plagiarism

Post by Dr Exiled »

I think Doc hit the nail on the head. DCP desperately wants his faithful followers (5?) to think he is a polymath when he clearly isn't. His blog posts scream out "look at me, I'm really smart. Please observe me waxing philosophical as I easily move from subject to subject, imbuing a thirsty public with living water that only a polymath like me can provide ..... " He isn't what he wants the world to perceive (few are) and so he lifts the thoughts from a place that he thinks is so generic that it really can't be attributed to anyone, like wiki articles. He probably generously used the encyclopedia britanica when he was a kid, like a lot of kids did, when he was doing his assignments in school. Too bad the internet allows Lemmie, Tom and Doc to discover his secrets.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Plagiarism is a serious charge to make against a professor. This thread includes cases where Peterson has really copy-pasted extended passages with trivial revisions. My concern here is that I think it takes away from those serious cases to mix them up with doubtful cases of a few words like this one. For cases like this one it might be better to have another thread.

Symmachus
God

Post by Symmachus »

Physics Guy wrote:Plagiarism is a serious charge to make against a professor. This thread includes cases where Peterson has really copy-pasted extended passages with trivial revisions. My concern here is that I think it takes away from those serious cases to mix them up with doubtful cases of a few words like this one. For cases like this one it might be better to have another thread.

It's a bit like reading Hugh Nibley: some of the comparaisons are striking, some trivial.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

In 2017, Business Insider published an article by Kate Taylor, titled:

How KFC made Christmas all about fried chicken — in Japan

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-kfc ... an-2016-12

In his Deseret News column published December 19, 2019, Dan Peterson plagiarized from the Business Insider article.

https://www.deseret.com/2019/12/19/2102 ... -japan-kfc

Below are the parts of the article plagiarized by Peterson, followed by the portion of his column containing the plagiarism. The words in blue are taken, word for word, from the Business Insider article, with no attribution.

Even worse, in my opinion, is the phrase in blue that I have enlarged: “filled the void...”

Not only did Peterson plagiarize this quote from the Business Insider article, he also left off the quotation marks and attribution from that article. The phrase comes from the comments of professor Joonas Rokka. Kate Taylor, in the Business Insider article, properly quoted and attributed the statement.

Peterson did neither, in effect plagiarizing within his plagiarism.

From the Business Insider article:
KFC has become a Christmas tradition in Japan.

This is largely thanks to Takeshi Okawara, who managed the first KFC restaurant in Japan. These days, Japanese people could end up waiting in long lines if they don't pre-order their Christmas meals from KFC.

Here's a look back at how KFC became a Christmas tradition in Japan.

...Since only about 1% to 2% of the Japanese population is Christian, the country didn't have many established Christmas traditions.

...KFC helped build secular and commercial traditions with the simple message: "At Christmas, you eat chicken."

...At many Japanese Christmas parties, KFC is just one part of the Christmas feast.

Across the country, KFC locations dress Colonel Sanders up in Santa Claus gear for the holiday season.

And from Peterson’s column, his plagiarism of the BI article. Exactly worded plagiarism is in blue :
In Japan, where estimates put the number of Christians somewhere between 1%-2% of the population or perhaps even lower, a quite secularized version of Christmas focused on Santa Claus and gift-giving is widely observed.

Also prominent among Japanese Christmas traditions is eating fried chicken from KFC, where the statues of Colonel Sanders that stand in front of KFC restaurants are dressed as Santa Claus during the holiday season. Japanese people who don’t pre-order their KFC Christmas dinners can end up waiting in long lines for them, and could miss out altogether.

“Why KFC?” you might ask.

Form the BI article:
KFC's Christmas promotion was the brainchild of Takeshi Okawara, who managed the first KFC restaurant in Japan. He would go on to become CEO of Kentucky Fried Chicken Japan from 1984 to 2002.

Just a few months after the first KFC opened in Japan in 1970, Okawara had the idea to sell a Christmas "party barrel," inspired by the elaborate American turkey dinner, but with fried chicken instead of turkey.

The promotion went national in Japan in 1974 under the name Kurisumasu ni wa Kentakkii: Kentucky for Christmas.

The party barrel campaign "filled a void," Joonas Rokka, associate professor of marketing at the Emlyon Business School in France, told the BBC. "There was no tradition of Christmas in Japan, and so KFC came in and said, this is what you should do on Christmas."

... Premium barrels include options such as ribs or roast chicken with stuffing.

You can even pair your party barrel with Christmas wine that's sold at the fast-food chain.

DCP’s plagiarism, again exactly worded plagiarism in blue:
In 1970, just a few months after Takeshi Okawara opened the first KFC restaurant in Japan —he would go on to become the CEO of Kentucky Fried Chicken Japan from 1984-2002he conceived the idea of a Christmas “party barrel” containing not only chicken but, in some premium cases, ribs and stuffing and cake and even wine.

In 1974, the promotional campaign went national with the slogan “Kurisumasu ni wa Kentakkii” (“Kentucky for Christmas”).

Since, in the 1970s, there were few if any traditional Japanese Christmas observances, KFC filled a void.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Oh, boy. :/

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

If you go here:

https://www.deseret.com/authors/daniel-peterson

and click on the next two articles, the ones right below the one Lemmie took a look at, you’ll see DCP cannibalizing various wiki (and a few other sites) articles without giving proper attribution.

What’s crazy is despite a couple dozen pages documenting his plagiarism, his acknowledging it, his going back and editing some articles to give attribution, he’s right back to his old habits.

Does the DN not care their ‘journalists’ are plagiarizing material? What happened to their plagiarism tool? Are some contributors exempt from that kind of standard? Is this just authorial bricolage?

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

This one:

https://www.deseret.com/2019/5/2/206722 ... ter-easter

is a pastiche of Bible Hub snippets and liberal unattributed borrowing from “Parallel Lives of Jesus: A Guide to the Four Gospels, Edward Adams, 2011” off of Google Books.

I stand by my earlier assertion regarding his M.O. and our longstanding documentation of his plagiarisms.

- Doc

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:It becomes immediately apparent what Mr. Peter$on is up to. He pulls his usual trick by insinuating he has to get back to his study or some other repository stocked with the knowledge of a thousand scholars where he says:

Well, I'm in the Canadian Rockies on vacation right now, hundreds of miles from home and with no library resources. So I won't be able to do any checking for quite a while.

... thus deflecting what everyone knows, that he routinely googles some topic, finds a webpage or a wiki article to plagiarize, and then posts he's working on some 'manuscript' when in reality he just craps out some re-wording of someone else's work.

I just want it pointed out that since that comment that he's 'much too busy vacationing in the Canadian Rockies' he has since posted, what, 11 entries on Patheos that are commensurate with the effort he put into the original plagiarized Arabian Nights post?

Please note from his, "What we should think of current science can quite properly depend, in part, on theology" post he oddly declined to mention the BYU professor's name while linking to his work, and then he linked to two other articles, in additional to liberally quoting from someone named Alvin Platinga.

Quite curious, if you ask me, that he can post robustly on a variety of topics researched from the tips of his Rubenesque fingers, but can't seem to *snap* provide a follow-up to his plagiarized article and, forgive me for my language, his humbling ass kicking by user 'lcmccabe'.

Will he do a follow-up? Based on his long and cantankerous posting history it's very, very unlikely.

- Doc

He never provided a follow-up, you know, with ‘library resources’.

- Doc

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

DCP:

Some critics have claimed ....

Notice that Peterson very carefully reads comments here. When he can respond to them by noting something like a difference of opinion, or perceived persecution, he does. But he has stopped offering mea culpas and various excuses for his plagiarism, obviously because it is painfully clear that he can no longer pretend he doesn’t plagiarize.

This is a BYU professor, actively teaching students, and representing his university. His plagiarism is shameful, and casts a pall on all of his work. He recently noted that his column at Deseret News has been discontinued, and it would be no surprise at all if the newspaper took this action after becoming aware of his multiple instances of plagiarism.

Tator
God

Post by Tator »

Ditto Copy Pasterson has never had an original thought in his life, he's just another phony like Joe.
aka Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

If any of the academics want to pull his dissertation and shoot it to me I'll give it a hard look for any instances of plagiarism. Your anonymity is, of course, sacrosanct.

LD791.9.N3 P442
Peterson, Daniel Carl, 1953-
Cosmogony and the ten separated intellects in the Rāḥat al-ʻAql of Ḥamīd al-Dīn al-Kirmānī / by Daniel Carl Peterson.

- Doc

Tom
Savior (resurrected)

Post by Tom »

Dr. Peterson’s post titled “A first pass at Sayyid Qutb” silently draws on the Wikipedia entry on Qutb.

Peterson: “Qutb published probably, including twenty-four books — among them Social Justice, Milestones (Ma‘alim fi al-Tariq), and a thirty-volume commentary entitled In the Shadow of the Qur’an (Fi Zilal al-Qur’an) — and nearly six hundred articles. He also left behind roughly thirty unpublished books, many of which were destroyed by the Egyptian government. His writings are wide-ranging, including novels and literary criticism, but they are particularly focused on what he regarded as the optimal social and political role of Islam.”

Wikipedia: “Author of 24 books, with around 30 books unpublished for different reasons (mainly destruction by the state), and at least 581 articles, including novels, literary arts critique and works on education, he is best known in the Muslim world for his work on what he believed to be the social and political role of Islam, particularly in his books Social Justice and Ma'alim fi al-Tariq (Milestones). His magnum opus, Fi Zilal al-Quran (In the Shade of the Qur'an), is a 30-volume commentary on the Quran.”

Peterson: “By the mid-1940s, many of his publications had been included in school, college, and university curricula, and he was followed by more than a few intellectuals, poets and other literary figures, and even some influential politicians.”

Wikipedia: “During most of his life, Qutb's inner circle mainly consisted of influential politicians, intellectuals, poets and literary figures, both of his age and of the preceding generation. By the mid-1940s, many of his writings were included in the curricula of schools, colleges and universities.”

Peterson: “Much of his commentary and his often fierce criticism was aimed at the Islamic world, but he also strongly disapproved of the society and culture of the United States. He had spent approximately two years in America, studying educational administration and working at Wilson Teacher’s College in Washington DC (a forerunner of today’s University of the District of Columbia), at the Colorado State College for Education in Greeley, and Stanford University, visiting many of the major American cities during his stay. . . . He viewed even the Americans of several generations ago as materialistic, violent, and sexually obsessed.”

Wikipedia: “Even though most of his observations and criticism were leveled at the Muslim world, Qutb is also known for his intense disapproval of the society and culture of the United States, which he saw as materialistic, and obsessed with violence and sexual pleasure. . . . Time in the United States, pursuing further studies in educational administration, cemented some of Qutb's views. Over two years, he worked and studied at Wilson Teachers' College in Washington, D.C. (one of the precursors to today's University of the District of Columbia), Colorado State College for Education in Greeley, and Stanford University. He visited the major cities of the United States.”

I look forward to reading Dr. Peterson’s second pass at Qutb. Perhaps he’ll touch upon Qutb’s childhood, his mental and physical health, his intellectual influences, his sexual history, his views of American women, and his criticisms of American food, clothing, haircuts, and jazz.

Tom
Savior (resurrected)

Post by Tom »

After reading my post, Dr. Peterson added this curious note:

“(And, yes, I’ve relied for much of the basic information above — e.g. public and objective information such as dates, numbers of books, and the like, the sort of thing that would appear in any responsible biographical entry anywhere — on the relevant Wikipedia entry. A note such as this, which I’m creating for future use, is the skeletal framework that I will later flesh out from other sources, credited where appropriate. The metaphor that comes to mind is a continual laying down of sediment in successive waves. To vary the metaphor: On this blog, you’re sometimes peering into my workshop, seeing various drafts. The final version, in sha‘ Allah, will appear in print.)”

Why didn’t he credit Wikipedia in his original post? And why is a scholar of Arabic and Islamic studies using Wikipedia as a basic source as opposed to, say, the Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World?

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Tom wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:15 am
After reading my post, Dr. Peterson added this curious note:

“(And, yes, I’ve relied for much of the basic information above — e.g. public and objective information such as dates, numbers of books, and the like, the sort of thing that would appear in any responsible biographical entry anywhere — on the relevant Wikipedia entry. A note such as this, which I’m creating for future use, is the skeletal framework that I will later flesh out from other sources, credited where appropriate. The metaphor that comes to mind is a continual laying down of sediment in successive waves. To vary the metaphor: On this blog, you’re sometimes peering into my workshop, seeing various drafts. The final version, in sha‘ Allah, will appear in print.)”

Why didn’t he credit Wikipedia in his original post? And why is a scholar of Arabic and Islamic studies using Wikipedia as a basic source as opposed to, say, the Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World?
Even Wikipedia says not to cite Wikipedia:

Caution is advised when using Wikipedia as a source. In many academic institutions, references to Wikipedia, along with most encyclopedias, are unacceptable for research papers. See also Reliability of Wikipedia.

This does not mean that Wikipedia material should be used without citation: plagiarism of Wikipedia material is also academically unacceptable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _Wikipedia
Or more specifically,

you decide to quote or paraphrase Wikipedia text (despite all the warnings above applying to the information in Wikipedia), then you must cite Wikipedia appropriately; otherwise you plagiarise, which is against academic norms and may subject you to censure. Such failure also violates Wikipedia's CC BY-SA copyright license, which is a violation of copyright law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _Wikipedia
Peterson plagiarizes, not only in defiance of the BYU honor code to which he is bound as BYU faculty and LDS church member, but also in defiance of actual law.

Tom
Savior (resurrected)

Post by Tom »

Dr. Peterson adds another curious note:

“Postscript: One eager critic demands to know why I used Wikipedia rather than the Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World for the notes above. Well, for one thing, because I have no reason to believe that Sayyid Qutb’s years of birth and death and numbers of published books vary widely from one source to another. For another, because my copy of the Oxford Encyclopedia resides in my campus office, which I haven’t visited in more than a month. For yet another, because the lines above are only preliminary draft text; the Oxford Encyclopedia is almost certainly still in the text’s future. And, by the way, it shouldn’t be presumed that I’m unfamiliar with the Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World. I own a set. Moreover, I’m a contributor to it: I wrote its article on ‘Eschatology,’ as well as articles on two of the most important sects of Shi‘ism: ‘Ismāʿīliyya’ and ‘Zaydiyya.’)”

“Eager critic”? LOL. Dr. Peterson misses the point. Again.

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

Tom, I read something just recently condemning Christopher Hitchens for being a "Google scholar".

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

I’m rolling me eyes so hard right I just did a backflip.

by the way, Mr. Peterson, why are you so obsessed with this board, checking it multiple times a day? Psychologically fascinating, indeed.

- Doc

moksha
God

Post by moksha »

Pretty impressive that Dr. Peterson was a contributor to an article on eschatology in the Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World. He undoubtedly provided a better understanding of the 72 virgins given in the Celestial Paradise Kingdom for those contributing to the defense of the faith. Hopefully, those followers of Allah will also have a greater appreciation of Vivaldi and snifters of orange soda.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

Tom wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:16 pm
Dr. Peterson adds another curious note:

“Postscript: One eager critic demands to know why I used Wikipedia rather than the Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World for the notes above. Well, for one thing, because I have no reason to believe that Sayyid Qutb’s years of birth and death and numbers of published books vary widely from one source to another. For another, because my copy of the Oxford Encyclopedia resides in my campus office, which I haven’t visited in more than a month. For yet another, because the lines above are only preliminary draft text; the Oxford Encyclopedia is almost certainly still in the text’s future. And, by the way, it shouldn’t be presumed that I’m unfamiliar with the Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World. I own a set. Moreover, I’m a contributor to it: I wrote its article on ‘Eschatology,’ as well as articles on two of the most important sects of Shi‘ism: ‘Ismāʿīliyya’ and ‘Zaydiyya.’)”

“Eager critic”? LOL. Dr. Peterson misses the point. Again.
And the illustrious contributor to the Oxford Encyclopedia doesn’t have Internet access to it through his Institution? I do through my Institution. I call bull ____ on this excuse by Peterson. He plagiarizes Wikipedia like the laziest freshman, excuses notwithstanding.

Lemmie
God

Post by Lemmie »

I have posted this explanation about what constitutes plagiarism before, but since Peterson seems to have decided it is time to start up his nasty habit again, I thought it was worth reposting:
[/i]
Why this is plagiarism:

This paraphrase is a patchwork composed of pieces in the original author’s language (in red) and pieces in the student-writer’s words, all rearranged into a new pattern, but with none of the borrowed pieces in quotation marks.

Thus, even though the writer acknowledges the source of the material, the underlined phrases are falsely presented as the student’s own.

https://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/QPA_paraphrase.html
[bolding added]

For a prime example of this, let’s look at one of Peterson’s recent posts, titled Correcting a basic mistake in neuroscience, or just committing one? posted APRIL 23, 2020 BY DAN PETERSON.
( link: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... g-one.html )

In this blog entry, Peterson is ostensibly reviewing and quoting from Douglas Fox, in Scientific American:
Dan Peterson:

I share some notes that I jotted down from Douglas Fox, “The Brain, Reimagined: Physicists who have revived experiments from 50 years ago say nerve cells communicate with mechanical pulses, not electric ones,” Scientific American (April 2018): 60-67:

Curiously, although physicians have been administering general anesthesia for nearly two centuries now, and although they have discovered dozens of different but effective anesthetic compounds, nobody actually knows exactly how anesthesia works. We know that they all shut down body and brain functions in the same order — memory formation first, then pain sensation, then consciousness and, ultimately, breathing — across all animal species, from flies to humans. But nitrous oxide , ether, sevoflurane, and xenon are so very different in their molecular structure that it seems highly unlikely that they function in the same way in their common effects.

Thomas Heimburg, a physicist at the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen who trained in quantum mechanics and biophysics at the Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry in Göttingen, Germany, believes that anesthetics change the mechanical properties of nerves. What difference would that make? Writing for Scientific American, Douglas Fox says that,
If that is true, it means that nerve cells, or neurons, throughout the body and brain are mechanical machines, not the electric circuits scientists have believed in for decades (62).

The mechanical components may have been overlooked because of an accident of history: 50 years ago off-the-shelf instruments could readily measure the tiny electric impulses in neurons but not the mechanical ones. Hardware limitations influenced which discoveries scientists made and which ideas entered mainstream scientific thought. (63)
You’ll notice the last two paragraphs are framed as a quote of Fox’s article in Scientific American. The problem is, in the two paragraphs before that, to use the words in my opening quote, are plagiarism because “ even though the writer acknowledges the source of the material, the underlined phrases are falsely presented as the student’s own.”

Let’s compare, starting with the source of Peterson’s first paragraph, which although it is touted as a review, is still represented as Peterson’s own work by omitting quotation marks. Or should I say, misrepresented. The original, from Fox’s article in SA:
Physicians have administered general anesthetics for 170 years. They have discovered dozens of effective compounds. When given at progressively higher doses, the drugs all silence nerve functions in the body and brain in the same distinct order: first memory formation, then pain sensation, then consciousness,and eventually breathing. This same sequence happens across all animals, from humans to flies.Yet no one knows how anesthesia actually works. The molecular structures of nitrous oxide, ether, sevoflurane and xenon are so different that it is unlikely they exert their common effects by binding to equivalent proteins in cells, as other drugs do.
And now, Peterson’s plagiarized paragraph:

Curiously, although physicians have been administering general anesthesia for nearly two centuries now, and although they have discovered dozens of different but effective anesthetic compounds, nobody actually knows exactly how anesthesia works. We know that they all shut down body and brain functions in the same order — memory formation first, then pain sensation, then consciousness and, ultimately, breathing — across all animal species, from flies to humans. But nitrous oxide , ether, sevoflurane, and xenon are so very different in their molecular structure that it seems highly unlikely that they function in the same way in their common effects.
I would continue on, but Peterson’s plagiarizing is so ubiquitous and so obvious that yet another proof, on top of the more than a dozen or so in this thread alone, doesn’t seem necessary. Suffice it to say, throughout this entire blog entry Peterson has blatantly stolen someone else’s intellectual property, yet again.

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

It should be noted, as I review this thread, that Daniel C. Peterson HASN'T CORRECTED HIS PLAGIARISM on those FIVE Deseret News articles I found from a couple of years ago. And, I never received an answer back from the editors at the DN regarding contributors and plagiarism. I didn't out Mr. Peterson to the DN, because I don't believe in doing that sort of thing, but I pointed them in the right direction and gave very clear indications that some of their articles' material was being pilfered by contributors and re-branded as their own.

This tells me two things.

1) That Mr. Peterson's plagiarism is SO historical and SO thorough, that he couldn't find the articles I was alluding to and thus didn't bother to go back and correct them because the workload would've been too much.

2) DN editors don't care that their contributors are stealing material and publishing under their own names.

Says a lot about Mormons, tbh.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.