Latest numbers from the Interpreter Foundation

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tom
Savior (mortal ministry)

Re: Latest numbers from the Interpreter Foundation

Post by Tom »

A few news items pertaining to the Interpreter Foundation:

1. The Interpreter Foundation seems to be building a new website: http://interpreterfoundation.org ("Increasing understanding of scripture one article at a time"). Notice that "Mormon" is no longer a part of the address (http://www.mormoninterpreter.com). (Daniel Peterson recently reported here that the Foundation is "flourishing," that he "ain't done yet," and that "[t]here are other things (some of them fairly big) in the oven.")

2. The Interpreter Foundation spent $44,190 during the 4th quarter of 2016, including $20,766 for an unspecified "media project," $12,100 for Critical Text Project Vol. III, $4,533 for book editing, $1,838 for a temple symposium, and $500 for the (now discontinued) Ruth M. Stephens Award.

Spending for the first quarter of 2017 was lower. Total expenses were $26,653, including $14,000 for Critical Text Project Vol. III, $2,553 for a "media project," $2,237 for technical editing, and $1,250 for a festschrift (the person being honored is not identified).

3. Through the first quarter of 2017, the Foundation has spent $101,808.75 on Royal Skousen's Critical Text Project volume III, which is currently scheduled for completion in 2018 (parts 3-4 are scheduled to be published in 2017 and parts 5-6 in 2018).

4. According to the Interpreter Foundation's 2015 990, contributions and grants in 2015 greatly exceeded the figures for 2014. The Foundation pulled in $265,510 in 2015, compared to $100,700 in 2014. However, subscription and royalties fell sharply between 2014 and 2015, going from $15,010 in 2014 to $8,985 in 2015.

Total expenses for 2015 were also way up from the previous year. The Foundation reported $103,617 in total expenses for 2015 and $46,219 for 2014. The 2015 990 reports these functional expenses: $95,779 for other fees for services (non-employees), $2,686 for advertising and promotion, $1,529 for office expenses, $2,126 for "[p]ayments of travel or entertainment expenses for any federal, state, or local public officials," and $1,497 for conferences, conventions, and meetings.

Cash at the beginning of the year: $132,474
Cash at the end of the year: $303,352

For 2015, Daniel Peterson worked an average of 5.6 hours per week (7.6 hours per week in 2014), J. Bradshaw worked an average of 16.2 hours per week (13.8 hours per week in 2014), D. Oswald worked an average of 0 hours per week (2 hours per week in 2014), and K. Flack worked an average of 1.4 hours per week (3.6 hours per week in 2014). In 2013, the same individuals worked an average of 15, 15, 5, and 5 hours per week, respectively. (The 2012 990 indicates that Peterson worked an average of 40 hours per week, while trustees W. Hamblin, B. Haymond, and A. V.P. Coutts each worked an average of 10 hours per week in 2012.)
Last edited by Tom on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gadianton
Hermit

Post by Gadianton »

Some interesting information, Tom. The critical text project is one of the more interesting outputs linked to mopologetics. It's also one of the only projects. So on the one hand, I would think it's future is guaranteed, but on the other, suppose Smoot were to begin publishing theories? With some competition, I have to wonder to what degree the critical text will need to up its game and increase the suggestions of spirit-world intervention to keep investors intrigued.
FARMS refuted:

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

Tom
Savior (mortal ministry)

Post by Tom »

The Interpreter Foundation's financial numbers for the third quarter of 2017 have been posted. Spending went through the roof during the last quarter, running nearly $17,000 more than the previous high. As an aside, the Relief Society sister in Parowan—a regular contributor to the Foundation despite being on a fixed income—has recently expressed concerns to me about spending patterns at the Foundation. I hesitate to send her the latest numbers because they may come as a shock. (For similar reasons, I won't share with her Dr. Peterson's unkind treatment of a one-time fellow congregant in California; she would be mortified.)

Of the record-setting $61,101.65 spent by the Foundation during the quarter, $30,112.50 went to an unidentified "Media Project," $13,050 went to "Critical Text Project Vol. III," $7,142.51 went to a "Festschrift" (presumably the John Welch volume), and $3,881.97 went to "Technical Editing." For the 24th straight reporting period, the financial summary fails to disclose information about contributions.

The financial summary claims time donations from Interpreter Foundation volunteers equivalent to $56,226 for the quarter, including $43,500 in time donations from members of the executive board.

A few notes:

1. Dr. Peterson, the Interpreter Foundation's chairman, has used his personal blog several times this month to ask for donations to the Foundation.

2. Through the third quarter of 2017, the Foundation has spent a total of $128,258.75 on R. Skousen's Critical Text Project volume III, which is currently scheduled for completion in 2018. Speaking of the Critical Text Project, Skousen's collaborator, S. Carmack, recently published a snippy review essay devoted to a paragraph written by P. Barlow on the language in the Book of Mormon.

3. As I stated, the financial summary furnishes no information about the nature of the listed "media project." However, reliable sources tell me that the project is a short documentary focused on Richard L. Anderson and Karl Ricks Anderson.

4. The Foundation's new website is up and running, although clicking on links to Interpreter papers sends the user back to the old website. I suspect it's a bug.

Here is how spending for the third quarter of 2017 compares to spending in previous quarters/months:

3rd quarter of 2017: $61,101.65 (average: $20,367.22 each month)
2nd quarter of 2017: $25,549.47 (average: $8,516.49 each month)
1st quarter of 2017: $26,653 (average: $8,884.33 each month)
4th quarter of 2016: $44,190 (average: $14,730 each month)
3rd quarter of 2016: $36,145.44 (average: $12,048.48 each month)
2nd quarter of 2016: $41,290.62 (average: $13,763.54 each month)
1st quarter of 2016: $27,711.07 (average: $9,237.03 each month)
4th quarter of 2015: $36,100.08 (average: $12,033,36 each month)
3rd quarter of 2015: $16,588.13 (average: $5,529.38 each month)
2nd quarter of 2015: $25,878.40 (average: $8,626.13 each month)
1st quarter of 2015: $25,090.92 (average: $8,363,64 each month)
4th quarter of 2014: $18,595.83 (average: $6,198.61 each month)
3rd quarter of 2014: $16,678.84 (average: $5,559.61 each month)
2nd quarter of 2014: $7,389.98 (average: $2,463.33 each month)
1st quarter of 2014: $5,903.04 (average: $1,967.68 each month)
4th quarter of 2013: $16,137.86 (average: $5,379.29 each month)
3rd quarter of 2013: $7,511.55 (average: $2,503.85 each month)
2nd quarter of 2013: $5,682.12 (average: $1,894 each month)
1st quarter of 2013: $5,093.08 (average: $1,697.60 each month)
December 2012: $3,056.94
November 2012: $989.95
October 2012: $297.33
September 2012: $1,108.54
August 2012: $240

Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Gadianton wrote:Some interesting information, Tom. The critical text project is one of the more interesting outputs linked to mopologetics. It's also one of the only projects. So on the one hand, I would think it's future is guaranteed, but on the other, suppose Smoot were to begin publishing theories? With some competition, I have to wonder to what degree the critical text will need to up its game and increase the suggestions of spirit-world intervention to keep investors intrigued.

I know I am intrigued by spirit-world intervention. Why not make it as wacky as possible? Why not look to see if it was first translated into the pure adamic language prior to EmodE?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Tom wrote:I hesitate to send her the latest numbers because they may come as a shock. (For similar reasons, I won't share with her Dr. Peterson's unkind treatment of a one-time fellow congregant in California; she would be mortified.)

Typical.
“God came to me in a dream last night and showed me the future. He took me to heaven and I saw Donald Trump seated at the right hand of our Lord.” ~ Pat Robertson
“He says he has eyes to see things that are not . . . and that the angel of the Lord . . . has put him in possession of great wealth, gold, silver, precious stones.” ~ Jesse Smith

Tom
Savior (mortal ministry)

Post by Tom »

It appears that Dr. Peterson's "#GivingTuesday Fundraiser for Interpreter Foundation," which launched at the end of November 2017 and ran through the first two weeks of January 2018, came up about $9,000 short of its $15,000 goal.

In related news, the Foundation's financial numbers for the fourth quarter of 2017 are out. The quarter's major expenses: $15,871.48 for web design, digital publications, and set-up; $15,127.50 for Critical Text Project Volume III; $2,745.00 for an unidentified media project; and $1,896.07 for technical editing. Total expenses for the quarter were $38,750.49, which is the fourth-highest total for a quarter in the Foundation's history.

Through the fourth quarter of 2017, the Foundation has spent a total of $143,386.25 on Royal Skousen's Critical Text Project Volume III. To put this figure into more concrete terms, I am reliably informed that $140,000 would enable Cassius University to construct a library wing just big enough to hold a complete collection of Dr. Peterson's forthcoming books (alas, there would be no room for his published works). The remaining $3,000 would cover the costs of adding an artful ziggurat-shaped decoration to the wing's roof.

Incidentally, the Foundation reported $157,165 in contributions and grants for 2016. Subscriptions and royalties of $9,059 were a bit higher than the figure for 2015. Total revenue for 2016: $166,224. Expenses rose from the previous year: $147,491 ($103,617 in 2015). The indispensable J. Bradshaw did the work of 75 Interpreter Foundation volunteers in 2016, putting in an average of 16 hours per week in 2016. Hat's off to him.

Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:It appears that Dr. Peterson's "#GivingTuesday Fundraiser for Interpreter Foundation," which launched at the end of November 2017 and ran through the first two weeks of January 2018, came up about $9,000 short of its $15,000 goal.

Tom:

This is remarkable news. Devastating—no doubt about that. I’m sure you recall Dr. Peterson flouting his prowess as a fundraiser in his enraged email to Gerald Bradford after being dismissed from the Review. Indeed, one of Professor Peterson’s most vicious verbal lobs was his threat to steal away donors from the “new” Maxwell Institute. Well, now! Given these latest revelations, it now seems like DCP may have been dismissed because he had lagged behind in his fundraising duties. The FARMS crew were once well-known for their fundraising acumen (recall their “Ziggurat” venture). Could it be that DCP’s “firing” was merely the culmination of a slow decline into decadence and neglect on the part of the Mopologists’ fundraising forces?

Maybe so. I guess the other, rather banal alternative, is simply that Dr. Peterson was simply misrepresenting the extent of his importance. Perhaps one day we’ll know the truth.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Ah, the FARMS Ziggurat. How I regret they did not pull that one off! What a monument for the ages that would have been! You’re making me wistful here, Doctor.
“God came to me in a dream last night and showed me the future. He took me to heaven and I saw Donald Trump seated at the right hand of our Lord.” ~ Pat Robertson
“He says he has eyes to see things that are not . . . and that the angel of the Lord . . . has put him in possession of great wealth, gold, silver, precious stones.” ~ Jesse Smith

Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tom wrote:It appears that Dr. Peterson's "#GivingTuesday Fundraiser for Interpreter Foundation," which launched at the end of November 2017 and ran through the first two weeks of January 2018, came up about $9,000 short of its $15,000 goal.

Tom:

This is remarkable news. Devastating—no doubt about that. I’m sure you recall Dr. Peterson flouting his prowess as a fundraiser in his enraged email to Gerald Bradford after being dismissed from the Review. Indeed, one of Professor Peterson’s most vicious verbal lobs was his threat to steal away donors from the “new” Maxwell Institute. Well, now! Given these latest revelations, it now seems like DCP may have been dismissed because he had lagged behind in his fundraising duties. The FARMS crew were once well-known for their fundraising acumen (recall their “Ziggurat” venture). Could it be that DCP’s “firing” was merely the culmination of a slow decline into decadence and neglect on the part of the Mopologists’ fundraising forces?

Maybe so. I guess the other, rather banal alternative, is simply that Dr. Peterson was simply misrepresenting the extent of his importance. Perhaps one day we’ll know the truth.

Dan never was a very good fundraiser when he was with FARMS. Sources that I trust have informed me that donations have actually gone up about 20% per year since Dan was purged.

If the Interpreter had a clue they would politely ask Dan to stop fundraising and hire someone full-time. Dan's fundraising efforts are painfully embarrasing to watch, just like his Mopologetics and his personal life.

Hell, even the silly "Keep Kayne Out of Debt" raised more money:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

Tom
Savior (mortal ministry)

Post by Tom »

I recommend that Dr. Peterson spend whatever it takes (even it means canceling the annual Interpreter Foundation barbecue, hoedown, talent show, testimony meeting, and cultural hall raising this August) to hire his former associate Ed Snow as Interpreter Foundation's fundraiser. The Foundation's donations and grants in 2016 were an astonishing $100,000 less than in 2015.

Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Tom wrote:I recommend that Dr. Peterson spend whatever it takes (even it means canceling the annual Interpreter Foundation barbecue, hoedown, talent show, testimony meeting, and cultural hall raising this August) to hire his former associate Ed Snow as Interpreter Foundation's fundraiser. The Foundation's donations and grants in 2016 were an astonishing $100,000 less than in 2015.

Dr. Peterson needs all the help he can get. It's clear that after 5 years of fundraising for the Interpreter, Dr Peterson doesn't have the ability to bring in the money necessary to make the endeavor a long-term success. Dr. Peterson did a horrible job fundraising when he was in charge of FARMS and his fundraising efforts on behalf of the Interpreter can be best described as disappointing.

Where are all of these donors that Dr. Peterson was going to lure away from the Maxwell Institute? Where is the hypothetical sister in Parowan and her widow's mite? Hell, where is Droopy?

Let's face it, the Interpreter's product just isn't attractive to Chapel Mormons and it's downright ridiculous to most Internet Mormons. The hypothetical sister in Parowan isn't going to donate her widow's mite for the Interpreter to publish material about how the Book of Mormon was translated in the Spirit World. Most Chapel Mormons would view such material as anti-Mormon.

By far the "biggest" problem with the Interpreter is Dr. Peterson. Not only does he suck (for lack of a better word) at fundraising, he is a public relation nightmare. When Dr. Peterson is not publicly and privately feuding with LDS scholars and members, he manages to plagarize article after article in the D-News and on his blog.

Here's hoping Dr. Peterson and the Interpreter can turn things around in 2018.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

I have a question
God

Post by I have a question »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tom wrote:I recommend that Dr. Peterson spend whatever it takes (even it means canceling the annual Interpreter Foundation barbecue, hoedown, talent show, testimony meeting, and cultural hall raising this August) to hire his former associate Ed Snow as Interpreter Foundation's fundraiser. The Foundation's donations and grants in 2016 were an astonishing $100,000 less than in 2015.

Dr. Peterson needs all the help he can get. It's clear that after 5 years of fundraising for the Interpreter, Dr Peterson doesn't have the ability to bring in the money necessary to make the endeavor a long-term success. Dr. Peterson did a horrible job fundraising when he was in charge of FARMS and his fundraising efforts on behalf of the Interpreter can be best described as disappointing.

Where are all of these donors that Dr. Peterson was going to lure away from the Maxwell Institute? Where is the hypothetical sister in Parowan and her widow's mite? Hell, where is Droopy?

Let's face it, the Interpreter's product just isn't attractive to Chapel Mormons and it's downright ridiculous to most Internet Mormons. The hypothetical sister in Parowan isn't going to donate her widow's mite for the Interpreter to publish material about how the Book of Mormon was translated in the Spirit World. Most Chapel Mormons would view such material as anti-Mormon.

By far the "biggest" problem with the Interpreter is Dr. Peterson. Not only does he suck (for lack of a better word) at fundraising, he is a public relation nightmare. When Dr. Peterson is not publicly and privately feuding with LDS scholars and members, he manages to plagarize article after article in the D-News and on his blog.

Here's hoping Dr. Peterson and the Interpreter can turn things around in 2018.

The Interpreter is simply a personal vanity project.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

The Interpreter is simply a personal vanity project.

That may be the gist of it all right. But a part of me wants to give him the benefit of the doubt because he has done an enormous amount of reading, and like him, I find it enjoyable to share what I learn as I have time... sooooooo, yes and no or in more colloquial terms Sic et Non.....
"Stupid work deserves to be ridiculed." Very well: stupid Mopologists deserve to be ridiculed, too! -Dr. Scratch-

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Well, I, for one, am hopeful that Interpreter will continue to forge ahead, publishing reams of interesting and creative material for years to come. If I had it my way, there would be an Interpreter Ziggurat. We would see DCP and his posse pulling up to the valet parking in the front in their stretch black SUVs with bullet-proof, tinted windows. DCP would have a lackey or two from the BYU ANE program carrying his books and fanning him. Maybe a comely daughter of Zion would be feeding him grapes. I don't see why you guys aren't totally on board with a lavish, over-the-top vision of Interpreter success!?!?!?

Something has to make our grey lives a little brighter and more colorful. Interpreter could be that thing, and yet the hating has to get in the way of our own pleasure.

Tom
Savior (mortal ministry)

Post by Tom »

Dr. Peterson has made an announcement regarding FairMormon, Book of Mormon Central, and the Interpreter Foundation:
I would like to announce that the three organizations have now joined together for fundraising and perhaps for some common ventures in an association called Mormon Voices [sic]:

https://mormonvoices.org

I emphasize that the organizations haven’t merged. They will cooperate, but they will continue to function independently. Their budgets will be separate, as before. Their agendas will be determined separately, as before. And, of course, potential donors can still give to them separately.

One of our concerns, though, was that some who have wanted to support the kinds of work that they do have been baffled by their multiplicity, seeing them as competitive or at least confusing, wondering where they should put their money. Mormon Voices [sic] will solve this problem. Its leadership comes from all three constituent organizations and, together, they will oversee the allocation of funds given to the common cause.

I'm pleased to see that the Interpreter Foundation is doing something to address its fundraising and money problems, but I'm baffled by the name of this seemingly new confederation. Isn't MormonVoices the most recent rebranding of the Mormon Defense League, which was launched in 2011 to defend the Mormon Church? To quote from a 2011 Deseret News article announcing the creation of the Mormon Defense League (MDL):

"We hope to be a resource for journalists," said Scott Gordon, president of FAIR since 2001, "Religion writers tend to do a good job. Problems come when you get political writers or sports writers who are not as familiar with the nuances of the religion. So when you get a Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman or a Harry Reid, and someone makes a comment, the journalist may unknowingly pass on something that Mormons consider to be very bigoted, malicious or just inaccurate."

In addition to having articles on the MDL.org website that address common misconceptions like "magic underwear," "Jesus is the brother of Satan," and "Mormons practice polygamy," Gordon hopes journalists will contact MDL for interviews and to answer questions.

MDL will be staffed by a small group of volunteers who will update the website, field questions from journalists and keep an eye on the news for when they think Mormons or doctrines of the LDS Church are misrepresented. "If somebody writes something — whether a journalist or even a politician — that is egregiously bad, we will correct them," Gordon said.

This morning it appears that a junta led by a few higher-ups at FairMormon, Book of Mormon Central, and the Interpreter Foundation has executed a coup d'état inside MormonVoices and inaugurated a new direction. While people can differ over whether this change in direction at MormonVoices is a good thing or a bad thing, the fact that a significant reorientation has taken place cannot be denied.

Those who care, and who have donated or intend to donate money to MormonVoices, deserve clarity about what’s really going on over there. Will donations to the Old MormonVoices for the purpose of responding to political and sports writers' questions such as "Are Mormons weird?" and "Did Mormons have to share a bedroom with their mean older brother Satan in the preexistence before the War in Heaven took place?" be returned to donors? Will FairMormon, Book of Mormon Central, and the Interpreter Foundation do the right thing by allocating new donations according to the Law of Consecration? I submit that the New MormonVoices has some vital questions to answer. I hope that the cabal leaders won't go into full damage-control and stonewall mode.
Last edited by Tom on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom
Savior (mortal ministry)

Post by Tom »

Kishkumen wrote:Well, I, for one, am hopeful that Interpreter will continue to forge ahead, publishing reams of interesting and creative material for years to come. If I had it my way, there would be an Interpreter Ziggurat. We would see DCP and his posse pulling up to the valet parking in the front in their stretch black SUVs with bullet-proof, tinted windows. DCP would have a lackey or two from the BYU ANE program carrying his books and fanning him. Maybe a comely daughter of Zion would be feeding him grapes. I don't see why you guys aren't totally on board with a lavish, over-the-top vision of Interpreter success!?!?!?

Something has to make our grey lives a little brighter and more colorful. Interpreter could be that thing, and yet the hating has to get in the way of our own pleasure.

I think we're in luck, Kishkumen. Dr. Peterson's recently circulated talking points about the Foundation suggest a bright future indeed (I've highlighted a few points):
Interpreter Foundation – Who Are We? Currently the most productive provider of original, peer-reviewed research focused on Restoration scripture, we are a volunteer organization that promotes, explains, and defends LDS scripture and doctrine through faithful scholarship

What have we done since August 3, 2012?

Published at least one new article (in online, audio, and hardcopy formats) each Friday for 295 consecutive weeks—over 10,000 pages of material, exceeding the amount of original scriptural scholarship produced by all other LDS sources combined
•Supported and helped to publish Royal Skousen’s Book of Mormon Critical Text Project
•Produced roughly 200 videos of conferences, special events, and scripture roundtables, as well as study aids for the Gospel Doctrine curriculum and personal study
•Sponsored multiple conferences and published eight books
•Launched a two-hour weekly call-in radio program (recorded and archived online), produced a film (shown on BYU-TV), and recorded interviews for several more

What do we plan to accomplish?

•Support scholars doing faithful scholarship that benefits the Church and the Saints
•Continue and expand upon all the activities above
•Produce two films (plus supporting materials) on the Witnesses to the Book of Mormon
And Dr. Peterson has made another note that deserves to be added to his fundraising stump speech (again I highlight a few things):
Over the five-plus years of its existence, volunteers have reported approximately 20,000 hours of labor contributed to Interpreter, worth (conservatively speaking) at least $900,000—and many of our volunteers don’t report their time. (Some regard it as a matter of principle not to do so, despite my pleas.) Moreover, that figure doesn’t count the time given by our roughly 122 authors. It doesn’t, for example, reflect Royal Skousen’s years of consecrated effort.

I have a question
God

Post by I have a question »

Currently the most productive provider of original, peer-reviewed research focused on Restoration scripture

Published at least one new article (in online, audio, and hardcopy formats) each Friday for 295 consecutive weeks—over 10,000 pages of material, exceeding the amount of original scriptural scholarship produced by all other LDS sources combined

20,000 hours of labor

worth (conservatively speaking) at least $900,000

So what?

What do we now know about the Restoration that we (a) didn’t know before, and (b) needed to know?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Thanks, Tom. I am experiencing a dizzying rush of relief and excitement. My hope is that Interpreter will flourish for many years to come. If they aren’t selling merch through their website, they should really consider it. I want to see hats, t-shirts, hoodies, bags, the whole range! That would be a good way to raise some dough.

grindael
Dragon

Post by grindael »

How many copies of Critical Text Project Vol. III (in 2 parts) did they print up for 168,000? Are the books gilded in gold?

Why am I not surprised at anything I've read here? Mopologists are a consistent lot, aren't they?
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.

Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Quantity dazzles, Quality.......erm.......... well, if and when we see it, that also might join in the fray of fun for Interpreter.

In the meantime, I enjoy seeing the ongoing gush of scriptures mingled with the philosophy of interpreters........

Now if they could just really show us what they say is true through the publication and peer review of over 1,000,000 items! Surely that much grander, larger (and by implication based upon assumptions clearly in evidence) "truer" number would finally get good ole Ritner on board... or perhaps maybe even Coe or how about Dever? Surely he couldn't withstand the flood of light coming forth to keep him from joining Mormonism would he?
"Stupid work deserves to be ridiculed." Very well: stupid Mopologists deserve to be ridiculed, too! -Dr. Scratch-

Kishkumen
Seedy Academician

Post by Kishkumen »

Tom wrote:Those who care, and who have donated or intend to donate money to MormonVoices, deserve clarity about what’s really going on over there. Will donations to the Old MormonVoices for the purpose of responding to political and sports writers' questions such as "Are Mormons weird?" and "Did Mormons have to share a bedroom with their mean older brother Satan in the preexistence before the War in Heaven took place?" be returned to donors? Will FairMormon, Book of Mormon Central, and the Interpreter Foundation do the right thing by allocating new donations according to the Law of Consecration? I submit that the New MormonVoices has some vital questions to answer. I hope that the cabal leaders won't go into full damage-control and stonewall mode.

Yeah, this whole MormonVoices idea looks pretty lame and desperate. If I want to donate to Interpreter, that's what I'll do. After all, why donate to the also-rans of apologetics? Why not donate to the King of Kings? If success is measured in the sheer number of articles produced, then I say let Interpreter be the one organization that addresses our apologetic and scholarly needs. The others are kind of redundant, imo.