Name of the LDS Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: Name of the LDS Church

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Bond...James Bond wrote:Hey Jason,

If Paul says something, does that make it correct? In today's world only a few dead people are called saints, most notably in the Catholic Church. Why aren't former LDS leaders saintified. St. Joseph Smith, St. Brigham Young?

I also wonder if simply being labeled a "saint" is deserving. Some people who have been Christian (not just LDS, if you consider all believers in Christ "saints" according to Paul) have been anything but holy. Shouldn't one have to earn a title or distinction rather than simply being born into a religion or by simply joining a religion?

I'll ask the same asked above. Should the Church change its name to "Church of Latter Day Saints of Jesus Christ" in order to be correct. Doesn't "Church of Latter Day Saints" designate the group, then "of Jesus Christ" at the end designate that it's Christ church?

Bond

You are simply wrong. Saint means believer in Christ, Christian, etc. The special status of the title saint developed through the years in Catholicism but in general Saint is a person , weak or great, believing in and striving to follow Christ. The saints at Ephesus, Corinth,etc.

The Church of Jesus Christ means his Church, of Latter-day Saints means it is made up up of believers-saints, in the latter days fof the world. No need for change.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Jason Bourne wrote:You are simply wrong. Saint means believer in Christ, Christian, etc. The special status of the title saint developed through the years in Catholicism but in general Saint is a person , weak or great, believing in and striving to follow Christ. The saints at Ephesus, Corinth,etc.

The Church of Jesus Christ means his Church, of Latter-day Saints means it is made up up of believers-saints, in the latter days fof the world. No need for change.

Hey Jason,

your right. I've been studying it the past few days and came up with the same stuff. The original thing was for believers in Christ.

I wonder if its still relevant today, when Saint is used for dead people of virtue in the Catholic Church. I wonder why the rest of the churchs don't go with saint in their title.

But wasn't it fun hashing out something you don't see argued everyday?

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Polygamy Porter wrote:Get used to this tactic.

When mo'pologists get cornered with an odd Mormon belief, they quickly drop, what I call the "Bible Card", out of their sleeve in an attempt to scare would be believers of the b***s*** in the Bible.

Funny how the book that is less "correct" is used so often to defend the "most correct" book and only true church....

Problem here is, Jason et al, most of us here don't buy into the Buy-Bull either.

No no dumb dork. I simply pointed out a fact. THis is the what the Bible and the early Christians called themselves. It does not matter if you believe the Bible. This is history idiot. Deal with it. by the way, I am not an apologist.

And this was hardly a corner.
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

I want a Bible card.....please.....can I buy one on E-BAY
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

SMART BITCH wrote:I want a Bible card.....please.....can I buy one on E-BAY

Nope, but you can get one free from your local Mormon neighbor.

10% service charge. Monthly.

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07