Question for LDS

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Post Reply
User avatar
moksha
God
Posts: 22509
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Question for LDS

Post by moksha »

I ran across this video posted on another forum. They said it is someone named Robert Millet from BYU. What I want to know, is this short video for real? Is he really LDS? Has it been doctored any? I suspect yes, because otherwise I have a hard time imagining anyone actually saying this stuff.

Please help clarify this. Thank you.

The video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMJvqBq_Qa8#GU5U2spHI_4
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

User avatar
asbestosman
God
Posts: 6215
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:32 pm

Post by asbestosman »

I can't vouch either way for the video, but Rober Millet is a real person at BYU. I took a religion course where he prepared many of the notes although he did not actually teach my class. His picture appears to match that found at BYU, but a search through the devotional archives only brings up one hit and this speech is not it.

The movie has some obvious editing at 17 seconds in, but I do not see anything to suggest that someone is putting words in his mouth. The appearance of the building is much like I remember from Forums during spring and summer at BYU.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO

Pahoran
God
Posts: 1296
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:20 pm

Re: Question for LDS

Post by Pahoran »

moksha wrote:I ran across this video posted on another forum. They said it is someone named Robert Millet from BYU. What I want to know, is this short video for real? Is he really LDS? Has it been doctored any? I suspect yes, because otherwise I have a hard time imagining anyone actually saying this stuff.

Please help clarify this. Thank you.

The video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMJvqBq_Qa8#GU5U2spHI_4

I can't get any sound. What does the guy allegedly say?

I know that the site implicitly accuses him of advocating "lying for the Lord," but that accusation is always been false--usually intentionally so--wherever it appears. What is the unabridged version of what he actually says?

Regards,
Pahoran

User avatar
asbestosman
God
Posts: 6215
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:32 pm

Re: Question for LDS

Post by asbestosman »

Pahoran wrote:I can't get any sound. What does the guy allegedly say?

I know that the site implicitly accuses him of advocating "lying for the Lord," but that accusation is always been false--usually intentionally so--wherever it appears. What is the unabridged version of what he actually says?


The problem is that I cannot find an unabridged version. If I were to hazard a guess, he's speaking more along the lines of following the Savior's example. When the Pharisees and Sadducees were trying to trick Him with questions, He would often answer another question or ask them one such as when they asked if it was lawful to give tribute to Ceasar.

Millet appears to be saying that it's more worthwhile to begin discussions with people about basic doctrine and testimony such as the First Vision than going right into the King Follet discourse.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO

User avatar
wenglund
God
Posts: 4947
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:25 pm

Re: Question for LDS

Post by wenglund »

moksha wrote:I ran across this video posted on another forum. They said it is someone named Robert Millet from BYU. What I want to know, is this short video for real? Is he really LDS? Has it been doctored any? I suspect yes, because otherwise I have a hard time imagining anyone actually saying this stuff.

Please help clarify this. Thank you.

The video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMJvqBq_Qa8#GU5U2spHI_4


I watched the video, and from what I can tell, it is Robert L. Millett. Here is a short bio:

Robert L. Millett is a professor of ancient scripture and former dean of Religious Education at Brigham Young University. He earned a master's degree from BYU in psychology and a Ph.D. from Florida State University in biblical studies and nineteenth- and twentieth-century religious thought. Brother Millett has served as a bishop, stake president, temple worker, and member of the Church Materials Evaluation Committee. He and his wife Shauna are the parents of six children.


What I don't understand is what is so hard to imagine about what he has said, and why do some people think he is "lying"?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Ray A

Post by Ray A »

The clip was obviously edited. I don't make judgments on edited clips.

User avatar
moksha
God
Posts: 22509
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Question for LDS

Post by moksha »

wenglund wrote:What I don't understand is what is so hard to imagine about what he has said, and why do some people think he is "lying"?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-


Wade, what I find unbelievable is that he is saying to always respond with milk answers to questions rather than meat answers. This gives the distinct impression he is counseling his young students to be disingenuous about Mormon theology, so as not to either arm questioners with accurate and thus potentially harmful information or to scare away prospective converts. Even if he truly believes something like this, would he really say it out loud? I think a further implication one could draw from this, is that deep down the true answers are incendiary or else unbelievable to those not already a believer. This position upsets me. That is why I am doubting this video.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Ray A

Re: Question for LDS

Post by Ray A »

moksha wrote: This gives the distinct impression he is counseling his young students to be disingenuous about Mormon theology, so as not to either arm questioners with accurate and thus potentially harmful information or to scare away prospective converts. Even if he truly believes something like this, would he really say it out loud? I think a further implication one could draw from this, is that deep down the true answers are incendiary or else unbelievable to those not already a believer. This position upsets me. That is why I am doubting this video.


On the face of it, unless he clarified something later in his talk, he was advocating a one-way street. Questions do not matter, there is "only one true church", so it's irrelevant to discuss anything else.

User avatar
asbestosman
God
Posts: 6215
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:32 pm

Re: Question for LDS

Post by asbestosman »

moksha wrote: Even if he truly believes something like this, would he really say it out loud? I think a further implication one could draw from this, is that deep down the true answers are incendiary or else unbelievable to those not already a believer. This position upsets me. That is why I am doubting this video.


Keep in mind that Millet's opinion is Millet's opinion. It is not official advice from the First Presidency or the Quorum of 12. Even so, we do not have the original source so it would be best not to make any judgements about it being real or not.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO

User avatar
moksha
God
Posts: 22509
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Post by moksha »

Somebody else on another forum sleuthed out the source and apparently it is on the up and up afterall. Professor Millet really said it.

http://newsnet.BYU.edu/story.cfm/49068

Asbestosman is right, Professor Millet does not attribute this to the First Presidency.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Polygamy Porter
God
Posts: 2204
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:04 am

Post by Polygamy Porter »

moksha wrote:Somebody else on another forum sleuthed out the source and apparently it is on the up and up afterall. Professor Millet really said it.

http://newsnet.BYU.edu/story.cfm/49068

Asbestosman is right, Professor Millet does not attribute this to the First Presidency.
Like that would matter? If it is not acceptable to publicly support something that any of the suits spout off, it gets quickly demoted as their own opinion. Before or after their dead and gone.
Last edited by Polygamy Porter on Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polygamy Porter
God
Posts: 2204
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:04 am

Re: Question for LDS

Post by Polygamy Porter »

wenglund wrote:I watched the video, and from what I can tell, it is Robert L. Millett. Here is a short bio:

Robert L. Millett is a professor of ancient scripture and former dean of Religious Education at Brigham Young University. He earned a master's degree from BYU in psychology and a Ph.D. from Florida State University in biblical studies and nineteenth- and twentieth-century religious thought. Brother Millett has served as a bishop, stake president, temple worker, and member of the Church Materials Evaluation Committee. He and his wife Shauna are the parents of six children.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-


Why do they always feel the need to include the number of kids when a Mormon leader is introduced? Like it is some measure of obedience to popping out the kids... Like any young person or "twenty something BYU students that hang out" would look up to these hardline old school buzzards?

Polygamy Porter
God
Posts: 2204
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:04 am

Re: Question for LDS

Post by Polygamy Porter »

Jason Bourne wrote:
Runtu wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Runtu wrote:I wish I was wrong. Over and over I've seen it in my 40 years in the church. Obedience to the leadership is prized above all else.

I recall, while perusing the Gen'l Conference issue of the Ensign a couple of years ago, looking through the topical index and noting that topics relating to obedience and sustaining the leaders were #1 in terms of frequency, ahead of even topics relating to Jesus Christ, or Joseph Smith, or principles and ordinances of the Gospel. That was quite an eyeopener for me.


The reason I said that is that I have indeed seen it over and over. Most recently, my bishop told me it doesn't so much matter what I believe, as long as I keep the commandments. My wife has said the same thing. It's not Jesus, and it's not Joseph Smith; it's obedience and sticking with the program.


Well in this case your wife and bishop are wrong, and rather dumb for thinking this.

Jason
Not in their minds.

This is a rampant problem at the local level, many overzealous local leaders think that they are allowed to spout of their own interpretations, which unfortunately are received by many as truth.

The last time I attended gospel doctrine class, the instructor(the previous bishop), who was an avid Farms reader, told the class that Moroni did bury the gold plates somewhere in Mexico, and god later MOVED them to be right next to the Joseph Smith home.

Of course he did! With Mexico being the obvious "land of the Lamenites" who would join a church started by a Lamanite descendant known as Jose Sanchez?

harmony
God
Posts: 18195
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:35 pm

Re: Question for LDS

Post by harmony »

This is a rampant problem at the local level, many overzealous local leaders think that they are allowed to spout of their own interpretations, which unfortunately are received by many as truth.


And yet we hammer them for forcing everything through correlation, so those overzealous local leaders' influence is lessened. Can't have it both ways.

The last time I attended gospel doctrine class, the instructor(the previous bishop), who was an avid Farms reader, told the class that Moroni did bury the gold plates somewhere in Mexico, and god later MOVED them to be right next to the Joseph Smith home.

Of course he did! With Mexico being the obvious "land of the Lamenites" who would join a church started by a Lamanite descendant known as Jose Sanchez?


Now, he'd be criticized for giivng any comments outside of the standard answers in the manual, because these kinds of speculations have occurred too regularly in the past, with disastrous results.

User avatar
Gazelam
Lightbearer
Posts: 5659
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:06 pm

Post by Gazelam »

I can't believe this video has spawned a second thread.

I have had situations where non-members ask me about dep doctrine that they've heard. You give them a brief answer, then build off of it. No you don't give them the extended long discource answer, you give them the readers digest version.

that's all that's being said here, lay the foundation before you build the house.

What is the problem here?

Gazelam

Here is another talk given by Brother Millet that I have enjoyed (audio)

http://byubroadcasting.org/byuidevotionals/audio/millet012704.ram
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato

Post Reply