Trump and libel laws

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Trump and libel laws

Post by _MeDotOrg »

If you are a businessman with a brand to protect, attacks against your celebrity status can be construed as an attack on your reputation and therefore an attack on your livelihood. Trump has zealously protected his reputation in the past.

But as President, he is an entirely different kind of celebrity. Courts are traditionally very wary of imposing limits on political satire and farce. I wonder what will happen when 'Trump: The Musical' is proposed as a Mel Brooks movie. (Or maybe the next project for the creators of Hamilton.) He's going to be very tempted to have some sort of dirty tricks retaliation.

At least a very itchy Twitter finger.

And how far does the libel protection of political involvement extend to other members of the Trump family? This will be interesting to watch.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Re: Trump and libel laws

Post by _Quasimodo »

Any doubts that the boys from South Park are working on their new musical, "The Book of Donald?"
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

It is just part of price we pay when we become public figures.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

MeDotOrg wrote:If you are a businessman with a brand to protect, attacks against your celebrity status can be construed as an attack on your reputation and therefore an attack on your livelihood. Trump has zealously protected his reputation in the past.

But as President, he is an entirely different kind of celebrity. Courts are traditionally very wary of imposing limits on political satire and farce. I wonder what will happen when 'Trump: The Musical' is proposed as a Mel Brooks movie. (Or maybe the next project for the creators of Hamilton.) He's going to be very tempted to have some sort of dirty tricks retaliation.

At least a very itchy Twitter finger.

And how far does the libel protection of political involvement extend to other members of the Trump family? This will be interesting to watch.

He has a new Brand now, President of the United States, the most powerful man on the planet, and a businessman/reality TV star that literally shocked the country if not the world bringing down a perceived liberal giant. If he is successful his brand will be off the charts, if he is a total failure then there may be issues, but I doubt it. He will most likely just do what he's doing, Twitter, and continue to get free press that is here today gone tomorrow. Just think about all the satire and crap he took over the past year...It has done nothing but upped his Brand, his kids are now in position to take advantage of it, and grow the Brand. If it is any sort of indicator I never really knew a thing, or cared to know anything about the Trump organization, but now I do.

Bottom line unless he is a catastrophic failure He Brand will easily grow.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Markk wrote:He has a new Brand now, President of the United States, the most powerful man on the planet, and a businessman/reality TV star that literally shocked the country if not the world bringing down a perceived liberal giant. If he is successful his brand will be off the charts, if he is a total failure then there may be issues, but I doubt it. He will most likely just do what he's doing, Twitter, and continue to get free press that is here today gone tomorrow. Just think about all the satire and crap he took over the past year...It has done nothing but upped his Brand, his kids are now in position to take advantage of it, and grow the Brand. If it is any sort of indicator I never really knew a thing, or cared to know anything about the Trump organization, but now I do.

Bottom line unless he is a catastrophic failure He Brand will easily grow.

Actually, his new brand is Scion, because "Trump" hotels were taking a beating. His douche bag campaign hurt his brand big time.

But yeah, all the toothless bumpkins who voted for him I'm sure are very excited to buy Drumpf ties.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.